Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The best cooking system ever?!

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

The best cooking system ever?!

Postby mlees » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:42 am

Tell me your thoughts on what you think the best backpacking cooking system is out on the market?

Postby dj14 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:49 am

I'm curious to see what's posted here. A buddy of mine recently got the JetBoil system and it's really impressive. It was very fast and efficient. It has also won several awards including the Backpacker Magazine 2004 Editor's Choice Award. I don't have one yet but it's high on my list. Anything else out there that would rate higher?
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with dust and sweat and blood. At best, he knows the triumph of high achievement; if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt.

Postby grizz » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:56 am

For backpacking I like

MSR Whisperlite International
32 oz coffee pot
Coffee mug (non-plastic)
Spork (non-plastic)
Knife
Cookbook
Food

I can cook a lot of different things with this setup.
Colorado Native

Postby MUni Rider » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:37 am

Any pot/stove in the hands of my girlfriend.

It's not the gear, it's the person. That woman is amazing.
(And no, she doesn't read this forum.)
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby TMOTB » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:06 am

I have 2 MSR Whisperlites, 1 old (non shaker jet), & 1 newer model. Never had trouble with either one. I can't count the number of bottles of white gas I have burned through them.

A couple of friends have the Jetboil system and it works well but they haven't used them in really cold conditions. Yet.

Aside from the stove:

Titanium Pot
" " Spork
CRKT Knife

I try to go "lite" on backpack trips.....I'm not into trying to imitate Emeril Lagasse while on the trail.....not that there is anything wrong with that.

Postby JB » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:34 am

I just got a Stormy Stove this summer and I love it. It's cool if you're into hanging stoves and it packs up nicely too.

Check out this guys website. Provides some interesting comments about different hanging stoves.

http://www.larsonweb.com/Bctry/Gear/Stoves/HangingStoves.htm

Postby altitudesick » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:49 am

anyone used their whisperlite in subzero temps yet? and to anyone buying/using one, gasoline is only to be used if thats all youve got. ive used both and white gas kicks ass.

Postby grizz » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:10 pm

altitudesick wrote:anyone used their whisperlite in subzero temps yet? and to anyone buying/using one, gasoline is only to be used if thats all youve got. ive used both and white gas kicks ass.

I used mine at -2 degrees melting snow last winter, worked fine. I’m not sure if the International model had anything to do with it. I think the International model just opens the doors for lots of different fuel types.
Colorado Native

Postby JB Allen » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:13 pm

Nothing I have is kick-ass but it works well for me.

I have the wisperlite stove and love it.

Now my cookset leave a little to be desired but it works. It's a 60's boy scout mess kit. It's all there and still works well. I don't drink coffee so a coffee pot is no big deal to me. When the back pack woks come down in price I think that is what I will get...
JB Allen...

Postby upndown » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:28 pm

http://www.14ers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t ... c&start=18
Here's another similar thread and pics of my Dragonfly. It rocks.

Postby mlees » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:18 pm

Thanks everyone for your expertise! I ended up getting the jetboil personal cooking system. :)

Postby coloradokevin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:49 pm

altitudesick wrote:anyone used their whisperlite in subzero temps yet? and to anyone buying/using one, gasoline is only to be used if thats all youve got. ive used both and white gas kicks ass.

I've used my Whisperlite International to -20F in the past...

The stove performs fine in the cold temperatures, though I still prefer the roar of an XGK when the mercury really drops off the charts. My one universal complaint with all liquid fueled MSR stoves concerns the cheap plastic pumps they provide. I've had these fail on my Whisperlite once, and Dragonfly twice (two out of three times were more than a one day hike into the backcountry). My old XGK was stolen several years back, after ten years of use, but it still had the original pump. Recently the pumps have been reportedly "improved", but I am still a bit leary of putting my blind faith in them right now!

Here is my "perfect" three-season cookset these days (for most trips under 5 days):

Trangia Westwind Alcohol Stove
MSR Titanium Kettle
MSR Windscreen
4oz bottle of reserve fuel... plus the 3oz or so that the stove holds

This setup isn't ideal for snowmelting purposes, but it has boiled water for me on Cameron Pass in zero-ish temperatures in the past! So, it will get you by in a winter pinch as well... thus, it is often in my pack for long day trips even in winter!

Next