Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Skiers - Conditioning for Skinning?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Skiers - Conditioning for Skinning?

Postby BTL » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:36 pm

Does anyone do any special routines or exercises this time of year to get in skinning shape for the upcoming season?

My own strategy is going to be to keep some hiking in the itinerary for the next month or so to try to keep my quad strength from losing too much, but most likely the hikes will be at lower altitudes. I guess I find slogging through a small, slippery amount of snow without skis more irritating than fun most of the time, so I tend to hike where it's snow free. I guess I'll have to accept the gasping back at higher altitudes those first few times at Butler and Berthoud.

Have any methods that work well for you?

Re: Skiers - Conditioning for Skinning?

Postby Igloo Ed » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:10 pm

BTL wrote:Does anyone do any special routines or exercises this time of year to get in skinning shape for the upcoming season?

My own strategy is going to be to keep some hiking in the itinerary for the next month or so to try to keep my quad strength from losing too much, but most likely the hikes will be at lower altitudes. I guess I find slogging through a small, slippery amount of snow without skis more irritating than fun most of the time, so I tend to hike where it's snow free. I guess I'll have to accept the gasping back at higher altitudes those first few times at Butler and Berthoud.

Have any methods that work well for you?

Perhaps a pair of snowshoes would help you out. I use them for the few weeks before there is enough snow for skiing.
Myself, I go in the mountains every weekend and I love the *shoulder seasons* as there is no one else there.

Postby Bean » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:45 pm

Running and weighted lunges should do the trick.

And snowshoes suck. Once you try skinning, you'll never go back to those godawful excuses for floatation again.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Igloo Ed » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:24 pm

Bean wrote:And snowshoes suck.

Yes, until one masters them.
Once you try skinning, you'll never go back to those godawful excuses for floatation again.

I prefer not to cut my skins on the rocks for those two or three weeks before there's enough snow to ski.
Godawful? Master your tools.

Postby joe4186 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:13 pm

early season like right now= go out and skin on some snow
http://friendsofcaic.org/

Go Big or Go Home

"anything worth doing, its worth doing right"