Dogs on 14ers?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Should dogs be banned from 14ers?

No
71%
Yes
29%

Total votes: 167
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Dogs on trails..

Post by Bean »

MtnLvnHippy wrote:They're just dogs... people need to relax.

Just clean up their poo and everything is koo!

:twisted:
Clean up the poo and make sure they aren't harassing anyone or causing a dangerous situation.

Neither is difficult, and I've never had a problem with dogs out hiking, whether on a 14er or something smaller.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Neither is difficult, and I've never had a problem with dogs out hiking, whether on a 14er or something smaller.
Me neither, but you are not three years old. If the dogs were bigger than you, you might have a problem.

Anyway, as long as they are leashed and people clean up after them, I have no problem with them.
MrsPalmer
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MrsPalmer »

I don't mind dogs on trails as long as they are on a leash.
I don't own any dogs myself.
I don't mind people on the trails as long as they are quiet and respectful of nature.
I hate seeing trash on trails, there is just no excuse for that. :shock:
Andy
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Andy »

When we were on Bancroft Sunday there was a party of 4 behind us with two dogs. We were quite suprised as the climb required an 80' rappel and and a short but stiff class 5 pitch. We thought they might be in for a rude suprise when they hit these obstacles, but to our suprise they surmounted them (though they were moving pretty slowly). Here's a photo of one of the dogs on rappel:

"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com
notanothertexan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by notanothertexan »

I just adopted a border collie and have been getting her ready for some trail hiking this summer incuding a few easy 14ers. I think of myself as a responsible dog owner who keeps my dog on a leash and picks up after her, but what are some other tips for for taking her out n the trail.
MrsPalmer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MrsPalmer »

Andy wrote:Here's a photo of one of the dogs on rappel:
That photo is amazing! That's what you call dedication.
TalusMonkey
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (33)

Post by TalusMonkey »

Dedication...or maybe taking a pet where it does not "belong." We, as hikers, choose what level of risk is appropriate for us. Pets have no choice. Rappelling a dog is like volunteering him to be a police dog - he has no say in putting his life at risk.

Maybe I should put a cat in a backpack and take him to 14er summits?
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

TalusMonkey wrote:Maybe I should put a cat in a backpack and take him to 14er summits?
Why not? People do it with their kids.
MrsPalmer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MrsPalmer »

Bean wrote:
TalusMonkey wrote:Maybe I should put a cat in a backpack and take him to 14er summits?
What is a 18 month old human doing going up a 14er?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Indeed (bonus points for those whom can name these mountains):

Anyway, now that I expressed some of the negative experiences I've had with dogs on mountains, here are some positive ones.

Some dogs do enjoy rappelling. Steve Allen's (famous guidebook author) dog Diz is one famous dog that did. I've also climbed with dogs that have done some amazing things such as break trail up Hahns Peak in a raging blizzard. We didn't leash them, but for some reason there we no other people that were climbing the mountain during the worst blizzard of the year. Wimps.

Last edited by Scott P on Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andy
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Andy »

TalusMonkey wrote:Dedication...or maybe taking a pet where it does not "belong." We, as hikers, choose what level of risk is appropriate for us. Pets have no choice. Rappelling a dog is like volunteering him to be a police dog - he has no say in putting his life at risk.

Maybe I should put a cat in a backpack and take him to 14er summits?
I can tell when my dogs are having fun and when they're not.
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com
MrsPalmer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MrsPalmer »

Wow I loved the dogs in the snow pic, now that looked like fun!!
I have an aversion to children in general.