scrambles around boulder

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CarolinaGirl
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (4)

scrambles around boulder

Post by CarolinaGirl »

I was wondering if anyone knew of some good places/trails right around Boulder to do some class 3 scrambling? (not 14ers)
'From the highest of heights to the depths of the sea
Creation's revealing Your majesty...'
Shad
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Shad »

The last 100-200 yards on Bear Peak is fun. Also there are lots of places in the Indain Peaks wilderness which is only like a 30 min drive. Get Roach's book on the Indain Peaks and have some fun. I have done a ridge on Audobon from Roach's book and had a blast, if I remember right it was the southeast ridge. I would be up for doing it again soon if you want. Also there is hundreds of places and things to climb in RMNP also about 30 mins away.

Shad
Some succeed because they are destined to,
but most succeed because they are determined to.
-----unknown
shanahan96
14ers: 57  44 
13ers: 237 52
Trip Reports (16)

Post by shanahan96 »

in boulder proper, the southeast ridge on mount sanitas has plenty of class 3 sections, but nothing sustained.

if you're heading to indian peaks, the arapahoe traverse is a solid class 3 route. also, the class three traverse between the 12ers pawnee and little pawnee can be interesting if you don't mind the exposure.

jamie
CG_old
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CG_old »

- There's a short bit of easy Class 3 on the Audubon to Pauite traverse.

- Navajo has a tiny bit of Class 3 at the very top. The east ridge is a long Class 3-5 scramble, depending on how hard you want to make it.

- Closer to Boulder, Eldorado Mountain's NE ridge has some scrambling. You can probably make it Class 3, although most is Class 2-ish. It's a long bushwack for an average mountain though (if you go to the top). Don't forget your "HCA off trail permit" from our wonderful meddling government officials.

- I always thought the south ridge of S. Boulder Peak looked interesting. There would definitely be a LOT of scrambling on that route, just not sure of the difficulty, as I've never done it. It might be off limits now too though...
ADKben
14ers: 40  3 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by ADKben »

or you could just hit up pearl street and do some class 3 (sometimes class 4 on weekends) scrambling around the bums and hippies! ha
Couloirman
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Couloirman »

I do the 2nd flatiron a lot and it can be a fun scramble if you know where to go... Id be happy to show you around up it if youd like. Ill probably be doing it either saturday or sunday.
Couloir than you are
CarolinaGirl
Trip Reports (4)

Post by CarolinaGirl »

ADKben wrote:or you could just hit up pearl street and do some class 3 (sometimes class 4 on weekends) scrambling around the bums and hippies! ha
haha, it does feel a bit like that huh? this really made me laugh
CarolinaGirl
Trip Reports (4)

Post by CarolinaGirl »

thanks! this has been a really great list.. I plan on getting started on it right away until the snow turns it all technical!
Aubrey
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (128)

Post by Aubrey »

Two very close spots near downtown Boulder:

1. Red Rocks: Head west on Pearl Street. Just before Pearl runs into Canyon Blvd., turn into the parking lot on your right. Then just make the short hike up a few hundred feet to the red rocks. Plenty of scrambling all around that area. It's a great place to hike/climb around on a lunch break.

2. Mt. Sanitas' east ridge. Jeffro and Asdza took us up this fun/short scramble last spring. Head west on Mapleton to the Sanitas trailhead on the right. Hike up the valley path and take the trail up Sanitas' east side. Maybe about half or two-thirds the way to the top, veer off to the left, onto the rocks and away from the trail. I think it's mostly Class 3, but there may be some easy Class 4 stuff, and there is a little exposure at times.
shanahan96
14ers: 57  44 
13ers: 237 52
Trip Reports (16)

Post by shanahan96 »

aubrey- i was thinking about red rocks too, but didn't list it because class three was mentioned. if you go to the true summit, it can become a little sketchy to downclimb. definitely class four at the top.

jamie