Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

NEW! Trip Report Comment Area

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

NEW! Trip Report Comment Area

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:27 pm

We can now add comments or questions on 14er and 13er trip reports. It's like a forum thread at the bottom of each report. Just view a trip report and look for this area below the report details and voting section:

If you don't see that area, click the "Log On" button and log into the TR system using your forum id/password. Then the comments area will re-appear.

Also, when comments have been entered on a TR, the number of comments is displayed to the right of the TR name on the main 13 or 14 TR pages. As seen in this screen capture:

Trip Reports Area
Last edited by BillMiddlebrook on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:54 am

Bill-

Thanks for adding this. I tried to add a link to Scott's album from our LaPlata trip but the link didn't take. I wrote it out with the standard HTML text [a href=ADDRESS]La Plata Album[/a], but the text is not clickable. Is it possible to add links or photos to the comments? Thanks.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:57 am

I haven't provided buttons for [img] or [url] tags yet. So for not, just type the url without any tags or anything and it will be converted to a link.

Just type the link like this: http://www.14ers.com

Email me or post that ADDRESS here and I will repair your other comment.

Postby alanb » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:58 pm

Pretty sweet Bill...

I have a wish list item for you- If someone posts a question on a trip report can you PM the author letting them know? I know I have numerous trip reports out there and would not know to go and respond to a question.

As always love the site and think you do a spectacular job with it. We all appreciate your hard work
"The mountains are calling, therefore I must go."
tweaked by me but originally John Muir

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:05 pm

Yeah, I've been pondering this but I'm hung up on PM vs Email. Email is easier to implement, but some people don't want to receive emails. Maybe I could set it to email and then give us a Profile option to NOT receive the emails even when someone comments on a TR.

Also, I just added IMAGE and URL tag capability along with some other enhancements. Next on the list is a PREVIEW button so you can see your comment before it's submitted...

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:02 pm

NOW you can preview your comment as much as you want before adding it to the comments area. ...Similar to a forum post.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:09 pm

Thanks Bill! The image feature worked perfectly!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:15 pm

Great! And I fixed the problem with repeating quotes when using the Preview function. I noticed them on your post - should be all set now.

Site Administrator

Trip Report Comment Area Modifications

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:21 pm

And NOW the system will email the owner of a trip report when someone posts a comment.

Trip Report Authors: If you do not wish to receive email notifications when comments are posted to your report, I have provided a Yes/No check box on the trip report Add/Edit pages.

Postby gb » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:08 pm

I thought it was strange that nobody could comment or reply to a TR. This is much better. Nice work.

Is it possible to do a search within the TR's? As far as I can tell, you can't do that, but that would be a nice feature- to search for the word "skiing" or search TR's in Feb. to gauge what conditions are like in a general sense for years past.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:21 pm

Yes, a search function is in the works for the TR pages.

Site Administrator

More changes

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:04 pm

Good news! Now you can EDIT your TR comments...

Just open the trip report and Log On at the bottom if you're not already logged onto the TR system. When viewing comments, an EDIT button will appear to the right of your comments. Just click on it and your prior post will be placed into the comment area at the bottom. Make changes and click "Submit" to finish.

Please let me know if you run into problems or get any errors.