Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

3D Peak Rotation (Orbit) Models

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Will these models be helpful

Poll ended at Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:43 pm

Yes
95%
No
5%
Yes, BUT I HAVE DIALUP INTERNET
No votes

Total votes : 39

Postby Dan the Mountain Man » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:29 am

I'm going to have to agree with Harry Carray. They are neat, but I feel that Google Earth does a better job of elevation profiling. The National Geographic Topo maps also are very useful and allof for an elevation profile of any line you draw on the map. Really cool pics and I love GIS, but not sure how often I would relally use this in a 14er climb preparation.

Dan
Bis zur Grenze gefordet, koennen wir alle mehr, als wir wollen -Reinhold Messner

One does not climb to attain enlightenment, rather one climbs because he is enlightened- Zen Master Futomaki

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:57 am

Here is the new version - you can do much more once you click on the control...

3D Models
Last edited by BillMiddlebrook on Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Dan the Mountain Man » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:05 am

That is a little better Bill. I like being able to control it more. I also like the zoom in feature. On the down side, the pciture is still quite small. Also, when zoomed in, is appears to be pretty pixelated and some of the features are a little hard to make out. Is there any way to enlarge the picture and perhaps make it a little more detailed? Just some positive critisism, I appreciate your hard work.

What program are you using exactly? Just curious.

Dan
Bis zur Grenze gefordet, koennen wir alle mehr, als wir wollen -Reinhold Messner

One does not climb to attain enlightenment, rather one climbs because he is enlightened- Zen Master Futomaki

Postby Kojones » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:19 am

Can't wait for the "final" version, though it sounds like there will always be additional improvements to this feature. Great work Bill. Curious... you pick Q because it is right there near Breck?

Hope the snow is treating you well... I'm in Avon on business and it is dumping here. I'm auditing Vail Resorts... sounds like a bunch of their administrative and IT employees are taking one of their famous "power days" today. Basically a free day off work to go skiing because of the fresh powder.

Off subject... anybody else going to Josh Blue tomorrow night in Colorado Springs? Thought maybe I could meet up before the show. (Josh Blue is the guy that won Last Comic Standing last season. I first saw him at his first 'open mic night' at Comedy Works in Denver. Had drinks with him after the show at the Samba Room and knew that that night was his entry into fame. Hopefully, though, his act has changed a bit.)

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:32 am

You bet, this is just a test. I hope to have final results in 640x480 size instead of 320x240. They will be bigger files, but I think I can mitigate that by taking out some frames. I'm also looking into alternative GIS software that will allow me to put labels and route lines on the 3D model.

I'm using a bunch of steps from start to finish:
- Downloading government GIS data
- Convert it to DEM format
- Create an OpenGL orbit using MicroDEM GIS software
- Capturing the video with my own C++ screen capture program
- Modifying the video with Pinnacle Studio Video software
- Importing the AVI to Adobe ImageReady and saving the frames as GIFs
- Using Adobe (Macromedia) Flash to create the final flash file

Postby Kojones » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:44 am

That's a lot of steps, but worth it I think!

I don't care if these things are HUGE files because if I am interested in a detailed look at the mountain before climbing it, I'll click the link, eat dinner, then come back after it has loaded to look at it. Just my thoughts. Perhaps 2 versions... (1) for casual browsers (2) for people like me who are willing to wait for detail and large pictures.

I haven't seen any other votes or requests on this string... so I'll put my vote in for Capitol Peak to be the next 3D model. I think that'll be my first 14er this coming season.

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby mtnmike » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:04 pm

I agree -- a definite improvement to have those controls! In regards to sizing and definition, I definitely agree with Kojones...perhaps you could offer a larger, more complex version of each 3D rendering for those of us high-bandwidth users (and patient lowbanders!). Not sure how much extra effort that would cause, but having broadband and a smokin' laptop I'd love to get as granular with this as possible.

You da man, Bill!
mtnMike
http://www.fourteeners.org

"Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." - Ed Viesturs

Postby USAKeller » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:09 pm

I agree with RenoBob- another great improvement that I think can definitely be useful. It reminds me of the 3D graphics they showed in Everest: Beyond the Limit (mostly from camp to camp), which I thought was SUPER cool. It gives a great idea of the routes we take when we climb these mountains as well. Awesome!
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:10 pm

Ok, I made the image 640x480 so it's easier to view. It will still be pixelated if you zoom in, but I'm afraid that's how it will be for the initial ones I created. I'm trying to keep the file sizes reasonable.

Capitol Peak is next!
Last edited by BillMiddlebrook on Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby thebear007 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:05 pm

Bill, that is awesome! I love messing around with Goodle Earth Pro...but your graphic you can manipulate much easier. I don;t care what others say, it is a great addition to this site. I have been reading and exploring your site for three weeks now, and decided to sign up. Great work you have done here!
The Year of 007

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:40 pm

Thanks! Here is a main page where all of the models can be found:

3D 14er Models

Soon, I'll add each model to the individual route/map pages.
Last edited by BillMiddlebrook on Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Hiking Mike » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:14 am

Looks great to me too. I don't know how you find time to add all this great stuff to your site Bill. :)
...And my memory shall serve me in the way that memories do:
To conjure bygone times, and shine them bright anew,
To erase the strain of effort from faces of the past,
And resurrect slight triumphs as glories unsurpassed...

PreviousNext