Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trip Report Changes

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

Trip Report Changes

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:08 pm

The TR ADD page has been slimmed down to include only the basic information required to start a report. Once you get a report started the TR EDIT page contains the remaining functionality for formatting, photos, gpx file, etc.

This was done in preparation for a few changes I have planned:
1) The ability to include up to 10 peaks instead of the current max of 5
2) The ability to change the main peak.
and a few other changes which are not worth describing...

As always, please post or PM me if you encounter problems using the TR system.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Re: Trip Report Changes

Postby d_baker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:48 pm

Bill, do the changes affect the comment section? I was unable to reload the preview in the comment section. I was having trouble linking a photo with my comment, and when I hit the reload preview, it didn't do anything. I ended refreshing the page and then hitting preview again.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:56 pm

Nope, the changes shouldn't have impacted the comments section. By "reload," do you mean you were hitting "refresh preview?" I just tried it and it's working ok for me.

EDIT: I see you commented on a recent TR - is that where you encountered the problem? Looks like it was caused by tags which weren't formatted correctly. I just fixed the source for you.

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:40 pm

First off, thanks for the 10 peaks, can't wait to max that out! :wink:

Only thing I've noted is that I couldn't upload a replacement photo when I forgot to rotate it. It is empty #21 in my Notch TR. I tried changing the name, and even upload computer. Wouldn't upload.

Postby d_baker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:45 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote: I see you commented on a recent TR - is that where you encountered the problem? Looks like it was caused by tags which weren't formatted correctly. I just fixed the source for you.

Yes. It's been a while since I've linked to my photobucket, and for some reason (user error, I'm sure), it didn't go as smooth for me. Thanks Bill.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:22 pm

bergsteigen wrote:First off, thanks for the 10 peaks, can't wait to max that out! :wink:

Only thing I've noted is that I couldn't upload a replacement photo when I forgot to rotate it. It is empty #21 in my Notch TR. I tried changing the name, and even upload computer. Wouldn't upload.
Not sure but I'll look into that one when I get home tomorrow. Thanks!

Postby Chicago Transplant » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:50 am

Thanks Bill! I went back and edited my TRs that had more than 5 peaks to add the additional peaks and all seems to have worked fine, thanks for the continued improvements to the site and its functionality :-D
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby MtnHub » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:57 pm

Bill, I just noticed that in four of my trip reports (Back to Arrowhead / Arapaho / Glacier Gorge Esc / & Bison) the images do not display in the text anymore. I can still see them in the edit mode downloaded ok) but when I save and view, they don't display now. All the other reports don't seem to be affected and still look OK however. Not sure why this occurred or why it's only these four.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:12 pm

MtnHub wrote:Bill, I just noticed that in four of my trip reports (Back to Arrowhead / Arapaho / Glacier Gorge Esc / & Bison) the images do not display in the text anymore. I can still see them in the edit mode downloaded ok) but when I save and view, they don't display now. All the other reports don't seem to be affected and still look OK however. Not sure why this occurred or why it's only these four.

I fixed the problem. It was something I missed in the recent set of TR changes, related to TRs where the main peak was manually-entered.

Thanks for letting me know.

Postby MtnHub » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:19 pm

Thanks again, Bill!! You're really johnny-on-the-spot!! :-D

Postby geojed » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:53 am

Hey Bill,

Not sure how easy or difficult this would be but any chance of adding a "scroll box" option for panoramas in TR's? I've really been getting into doing panoramas with my IPhone5 and I've gone back and forth on how to add them to a TR.

I can insert the image using a link from Picasa and just set the size at "s3000" or whatever width I want it to be. But then text of the TR stretches all the way across the now huge web page and the page becomes unwieldy because of how wide the page is with such a wide panorama. See my Wilsons TR for an example http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=14276

On the other hand if I upload the image to the TR it shrinks it down to 800x175 pixels (or 1600x350 on "View with Large Pictures"). See image #12 on my Casco TR for an example http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=14507

A standard-sized scroll box restricted to maybe 800x800px would be nice and maybe you could only allow a max of 3 panoramas per TR.

I just did a test with a 10800x2362px IPhone5 full panorama with an original file size of 10.5MB. When I shrink it to 3657x800px the file size is reduced to only 877KB. Meanwhile, a standard 1600x1200px "Large" photo in a TR is about 600KB. So a re-sized panorama wouldn't be too much larger than the 1600x1200 "Large" photos.

Just a suggestion. :-D

Jed
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain