Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Forum Look

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

Re: New Forum Look

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:20 pm

Could someone having the problem display the page source and see if the missing post data is in the page but just not displaying?

I'll look into it more in the am...

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Clearing the cache didn't fix it Bill.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby mikemalick » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:00 pm

For the folks having the symptom where you cannot see the string data in the forum post, are you using Internet Explorer? If so, are you viewing these 14ers.com pages using IE's "Compatibility View"? If so, turn off compatibility view and see if the strings magically display. I was able to duplicate the missing string/post behavior by turning on compatibility view for 14ers.com. As soon as I did that, posts went bye-bye...particularly yours Bill. As to answer your question about the page source yes...the text is there, but simply not showing in the UI. For example when I duplicated the behavior using compatibility view and your posts disappeared, I saw this in the page source:
=========================
<div class="content">Could someone having the problem display the page source and see if the missing post data is in the page but just not displaying? <br /><br />I'll look into it more in the am...</div>
=========================

I found other erratic behavior when displaying the forum posts in their own window as well. I'll post on that later.

Postby mikemalick » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:07 pm

Bill, in compatibility view it is only your posts that are not showing. For this "New Forum Look" thread I went page by page and yours were the only empty posts. Furthermore, not only were your posts not there, but the "Report this post" and "Reply with quote" icons do not show for your entries either. Page source does have the code for those icons though:
=================================================
<ul class="profile-icons">
<li class="report-icon"><a href="./report.php?f=9&amp;p=413298&amp;sid=9b08ec124fbc713289bd81c3528aec27" title="Report this post"><span>Report this post</span></a></li><li class="quote-icon"><a href="./posting.php?mode=quote&amp;f=9&amp;p=413298&amp;sid=9b08ec124fbc713289bd81c3528aec27" title="Reply with quote"><span>Reply with quote</span></a></li> </ul>
=================================================

Perhaps there is some CSS for your classes that is flaking out when IE tries to parse them in compat mode. Still very, very odd that it is only yours that don't show.

Postby mikemalick » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:41 pm

Ok...last post for the evening. Google Chrome 18.0.1025.162 and FireFox 11 do not exhibit the bad behavior. Both of those browsers also show the pop-out forum just fine. IE, however, (I'm using IE 9) has issues with the pop-out forum both using and not using compat view mode. I was going to embed screenshots in this post, but I am seeing no option to upload attachments. Don't know what that is all about. Anyway, in pop-out forum your posts are blank regardless of the compat view setting. However, one setting centers your avatar horizontally while the other setting moves your avatar to the left side like everyone else. In the scenario where your avatar is centered, hovering over your name causes the new popup menu to display, but way over on the left side where your avatar should be so that when you see the popup and move your mouse over there to click on one of the links, the popup disappears. Oddly enough if you hover your mouse over the left-side area were your name should have been, the popup menu will show even though there is nothing underneath where the mouse hovers. Couple other things is that hover over a user name for a user that has no avatar (i.e. user hotrod), you can then use your mouse to move over any of the menu items in the popup. However, if the user does have an avatar, that avatar is hyperlinked/"hot" such that when you move the mouse over the name and the popup menu displays, moving your mouse over the small spaces that exist in between each menu item causes the mouse to be over the "hot" link and the popup menu disappears.

There were other general odd behaviors using IE in the popup forum screen and most related to the popup menu when hovering over the username to be "finicky".

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:08 am

In IE 8, I can't see posts by Bill, Josh... or Mr. Waffles! And their avatars are centered within the blank posts. If I turn on "Compatibility View" it left-justifies the avatars, but the posts are still not visible.

EDIT: Just noticed that, if I'm logged in (as I am now, editing) these posts *do* appear. I just can't see them if I'm *not* logged in.

Postby USAKeller » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:31 am

Susan - can you see my posts? I can't even see my own, whether I'm logged in or not. I can see it while I'm typing, but once I submit, I can't see anything.

Bill - here's what I get:

<div class="content">Any chance a clearing of browser cache fixes it? <br />It doesn't happen in my browser so I can't replicate it</div>
Rise and grind. Every day.

Postby USAKeller » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:39 am

Edit: I just turned Compatibility Mode off (IE 9) and I am able to see all user's posts. And my signature is back.
Rise and grind. Every day.

Postby thetoddman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:40 am

Same problem here with IE8 and Compatability View turned on (and logged in). I am unable to see USAKeller's recent message in her post, but am able to read it as a preview on the home page.

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:47 am

USAKeller wrote:Susan - can you see my posts? I can't even see my own, whether I'm logged in or not. I can see it while I'm typing, but once I submit, I can't see anything.

Bill - here's what I get:

<div class="content">Any chance a clearing of browser cache fixes it? <br />It doesn't happen in my browser so I can't replicate it</div>

Hi Caroline. I can only see your posts if they're the most recent, and by hovering over the thread on the main page. Once I click on the thread to enter the forum, they're invisible. Now that I'm logged in, I can see them again.

thetoddman wrote:Same problem here with IE8 and Compatability View turned on (and logged in). I am unable to see USAKeller's recent message in her post, but am able to read it as a preview on the home page.

Bill could easily fix this by sending us all new laptops with the proper browser installed.

Postby [+] » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:01 am

When viewing this thread in IE8, even after clearing my cache, and whether I'm logged in or not, I can't see posts by Bill or USAKeller, just centered avatars. (If I use Compatibility View, the avatars move to the left but still no text.) On the Post a Reply page that I'm writing this from, I can see everyone's posts (at least the most recent 12 posts), including Bill's and USAKeller's.

But the posts that I can see look great and I like the new hover feature.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:29 am

Friggin IE. I'll look at it this morning and use comp mode to see if I can replicate the problem. I'll figure it out

PreviousNext