Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Capitol Knife Edge - HELMET CAMERA

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Postby CorduroyCalves » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:33 pm

Awesome footage! Makes me wonder if I'll ever muster the mental fortitude to give it a go myself.:? Bill, at times it looked as though you were straddling, even though I know you weren't. Also, it seems like it's best to stay to the left. Is it the camera or is the left side of the ridge less steep than the right (on the way over)?

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:54 pm

VW,

Depending on the section, I may have been either standing almost upright or crouching much lower as I walked along. That's why there were some areas where I appeared to be very close to the rock as I moved along the ridge.

You're right about the exposure - it's not as bad on the left (southeast) side.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby walkinblooz » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:13 pm

WOW! The video was so good I was breaking a nervous sweat. :shock:

Bill, from those of us who wondered what it was like to do the knife edge (but never will work up the courage to try it), thanks for letting us experience it from the safety of our computer chairs!

Postby Katie » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:02 am

When I did Capitol in August we took a couple slings and a few camming devices and anchored the belay on the knife edge. We got across just fine and the belay only costed us time. It did come in handy though when my partner dropped his camera and it landed on a tiny ledge about ten feet below him. The knife edge is easy enough to get across, but the consequences of a fall there are bad.
Great videos!

Postby zox2020 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:32 am

How do I save both clips? Right mouse on target and video don't help.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:38 am

Open the video page, view the source, find the URL for the video file, and copy it to your browser address line. This will allow you to view the video directly without the use of the PHP program.

It's set up with this program to keep track of views and to make it harder to copy all over the net.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Previous