Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Scheduled Site Outage

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Breckenridge, CO

Scheduled Site Outage

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:57 pm

For the past few weeks I've been preparing for a 14ers.com server upgrade. I have the new server up and running and will begin the migration of site content this SUNDAY EVENING (12/5) and expect to have it done sometime Monday afternoon, if all goes well. During this migration, the Forum will be unavailable so I can get a snapshot of the data. Also, the rest of the site will be read-only during the migration, so trip reports, and all other non-forum stuff will be available but WITHOUT add and edit capabilities.

I know Monday morning isn't the best time to take down the forum but I can't do it on either of the next two weekends for other reasons.

More to come...
Only SNOW will end the madness

User avatar
Posts: 1976
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:04 am
Location: Denver

Re: Scheduled Site Outage

Postby Presto » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, Bill and good luck with all of that.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Site Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Breckenridge, CO

Re: Scheduled Site Outage

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks, I might need it!

By daybreak on Monday, I may have to make a Daylight Donuts run...
Only SNOW will end the madness

User avatar
Posts: 1081
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:38 pm
Location: McKenzie County ND and Desert Hills AZ

Re: Scheduled Site Outage

Postby Mark A Steiner » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:50 am

The temporary withdrawal symptoms might be rough, but we'll manage.

Thanks again Bill for a standup effort managing this site, this heads up and other amplifying communications regarding doings and upgrades you apply here. 14ers.com have been a fun trip for me.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

User avatar
Posts: 1014
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Re: Scheduled Site Outage

Postby randalmartin » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:11 am

Mark A Steiner wrote:Thanks again Bill for a standup effort managing this site, this heads up and other amplifying communications regarding doings and upgrades you apply here. 14ers.com have been a fun trip for me.


+1 You do an incredible job Bill!

Site Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Breckenridge, CO

Re: Scheduled Site Outage

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:37 pm

Thanks!

Gee, I wonder if anyone cares if I do the conversion tonight instead of Monday? :) Less people use the site Friday morning vs. Monday. I might pull the trigger on it tonight around 9:30 and try to get it done before 8am Friday...
Only SNOW will end the madness

Posts: 3864
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:56 pm

Re: Scheduled Site Outage

Postby tmathews » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:41 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Thanks!

Gee, I wonder if anyone cares if I do the conversion tonight instead of Monday? :) Less people use the site Friday morning vs. Monday. I might pull the trigger on it tonight around 9:30 and try to get it done before 8am Friday...


Go ahead and do it if you have everything ready to go. I think it would be more convenient because a lot of people are probably going to want to post updates on Monday. You have my vote to do it tonight. What's that saying? "Why put off until tomorrow what you can do today?"

Site Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Breckenridge, CO

Re: Scheduled Site Outage

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:57 pm

Update!

I'm moving the server migration up to tonight since it's ready to go and we could save a few bucks by deactivating the old server a bit sooner.

10PM TONIGHT (12/2), the forum will be taken off-line and I should have everything converted to the new server by Friday morning. Then it will just be a matter of DNS servers around the country being updated with the IP address of the new server. If there a problems with the migration, I'll post status updates on the home page since the forum will be down.

You'll know when you're on the new server because an annoying pop-up message will be displayed throughout Friday.
Only SNOW will end the madness

User avatar
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:46 am
Location: Parker, CO

Re: Scheduled Site Outage

Postby ontopoftheworld » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:10 pm

To borrow from Warren Miller, "if you don't do it this week, you'll be a week older when you do."

Thanks for all of your hard work, Bill. Just out of curiosity (dumb question from a non-web developer type guy), what does it mean when you say that you upgraded to a new server? Do you actually purchase a physical server? Are you just paying for an upgrade to a better server through a web hosting company? I know smaller websites just pay for space, but obviously the google's and facebook's of the world host their own servers. Not sure how big a site needs to get before you start crossing some of those lines. I don't doubt for a minute that you spend thousands of dollars every year on this site, but I'm just curious how that money gets spent. You don't have to answer if I'm crossing the line. I'm just curious.

Anyway, I vote for tonight if you're ready for it. We all need our14ers.com fix to make Mondays bearable.

Site Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Breckenridge, CO

Re: Scheduled Site Outage

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:38 pm

ontopoftheworld wrote:To borrow from Warren Miller, "if you don't do it this week, you'll be a week older when you do."

Thanks for all of your hard work, Bill. Just out of curiosity (dumb question from a non-web developer type guy), what does it mean when you say that you upgraded to a new server? Do you actually purchase a physical server? Are you just paying for an upgrade to a better server through a web hosting company? I know smaller websites just pay for space, but obviously the google's and facebook's of the world host their own servers. Not sure how big a site needs to get before you start crossing some of those lines. I don't doubt for a minute that you spend thousands of dollars every year on this site, but I'm just curious how that money gets spent. You don't have to answer if I'm crossing the line. I'm just curious.

Anyway, I vote for tonight if you're ready for it. We all need our14ers.com fix to make Mondays bearable.

14ers.com is on a high-end, dedicated server (ours to crash without impacting other companies :)) with Verio, a large web hosting company. I'm moving the site to a new server to accomodate traffic (summer, mostly) and increase available storage space. The last time we actually migrated to a new (dedicated) server was in 2007. Before that it was 2004, I think. Before that the site was on shared servers at Verio.

If I could get massive bandwidth in Breckenridge, at a reasonable cost, I'd host it with my own servers. That's not possible, yet. Because of the large amount of traffic and photo-related content on the site, we use several Terrabytes of bandwidth each month.
Only SNOW will end the madness

User avatar
Posts: 871
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:01 am
Location: Broomfield, CO.

Re: Scheduled Site Outage

Postby JA_son27 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:34 pm

you rock Bill! I hope one day I'll get to meet you and shake your hand
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matt 25:40

Site Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Breckenridge, CO

Re: Scheduled Site Outage

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:56 pm

If you're a skier and ski in Summit County, just drop me a line. I've met up with so many nice people that use the site!
Only SNOW will end the madness

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests