Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14erology?

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Re: 14erology?

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:50 pm

schrund wrote:Good point Bill~ I didn't mean to make things more complicated.

Too late; once he created a website based on user input, it became complicated. Why let him slow down and get comfortable now? :P
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:01 pm

There's no reason why historic photos can't just be placed in the current 14 photo category.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:09 pm

I could also include a "More Information" category as a catch-all for interesting info that doesn't fit the other categories. which so far, are:

Peak Name History
Climbing History
Mining
Geology
Archaeology
Paleontology
More Information

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:22 pm

The Borneman & Lampert, A Climbing Guide to Colorado’s Fourteeners, has some history on each group of fourteeners. I don’t know the copyright laws with heavily referring to a single source.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:24 pm

g wrote:Besides maybe mining, what archaeology/paleontology sites are there around 14ers?

true, there might not be much info for those.
What about just letting that type of info fall into "More Information?"

Categories:

Peak Name History
Climbing History
Mining
Geology
More Information

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:27 pm

MountainHiker wrote:The Borneman & Lampert, A Climbing Guide to Colorado’s Fourteeners, has some history on each group of fourteeners. I don’t know the copyright laws with heavily referring to a single source.

Yup. I certainly don't want to recreate a bunch of information that has already been published or create wikipedia-like entries for the 14ers. Just some information that give users a good understanding of the history of the peak, it's geology and maybe some other interesting facts.

I should probably contact Walt and see if maybe there's a possible partnership there.

Postby tmathews » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:36 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
g wrote:Besides maybe mining, what archaeology/paleontology sites are there around 14ers?

Categories:

Peak Name History
Climbing History
Mining
Geology
More Information

It will be nice to be able to use a single souce to find out Peak Name History. In writing some of my blog entries in the past, it took a little digging to find out why/how some of the peaks are named.

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:02 pm

tmathews wrote:It will be nice to be able to use a single souce to find out Peak Name History. In writing some of my blog entries in the past, it took a little digging to find out why/how some of the peaks are named.

It'd be interesting also to provide a lot of the information found on original survey heights, back from the Hayden and pre-Hayden surveys, and how data has changed over the years, decades and centuries. Mt. Sopris used to be a 14er, didn't you know ("Colorado: A Historical, Descriptive and Statistical Work on the Rocky Mountain Gold and Silver Mining Region (1878)"). Also, according to the 1883 "The American cyclopaedia: a popular dictionary of general knowledge, Volume 5", White House Peak is 14,050'

Lots of fun stuff out there in the old books.

This can go either in Name History as a subsection, or in the More Information section.

I also think it's important for any user-contributed information to contain who submitted it, and reference to their actual sources.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby 14erFred » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:35 pm

The definitive source of information concerning the origin of the names of the Colorado 14ers is a small book by John Lathrop Jerome Hart, entitled “Fourteen Thousand Feet: A History of the Naming and Early Ascents of the High Colorado Peaks.” First published by the Colorado Mountain Club in 1931, the book has gone through many editions over the years, most recently re-released in 1977.

Most of the early guidebooks on the Colorado 14ers, including Borneman and Lampert’s classic guide, drew heavily on Hart’s book in providing historical background. Hart’s book includes much more information about the history of the naming and early ascents of the Colorado 14ers than does any other source available.

Thus, I recommend using Hart’s book to determine the historical background of the naming of the Colorado 14ers, paraphrasing rather than quoting verbatim what Hart wrote, while crediting Hart as the original source. I’d be willing to help with this task, Bill, if you’d like.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

Postby tmathews » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:19 pm

tmathews wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:

Categories:

Peak Name History
Climbing History
Mining
Geology
More Information

It will be nice to be able to use a single souce to find out Peak Name History. In writing some of my blog entries in the past, it took a little digging to find out why/how some of the peaks are named.

It would also be cool to know the orgins of the names of other routes or features on peaks. Where did the names "Dead Dog" and "Lost Rat" come from? Who is Alexander (Alexander's Chimney)? Etc.

Postby Jack » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:39 am

Hey Bill,
I think having a little geologic and other historical info about the 14ers is a great idea. A great way for everyone to learn some more about the areas where we spend so much time. As interesting as the geology of some individual peaks may be, I think often it is cool to think about the larger scale formation and geology of entire ranges (Front, Sangre, San Juans...). Would it be possible to have a place to submit information about each range as a whole and then have other pages for the individual peaks as well? Just a thought.
As it so happens, I was just reading a few papers to refresh my memory about historical depositional trends in and around Colorado and the orogeny that formed the 14ers. It'll be great to see what information people have to contribute and I'll be glad to contribute some of my own knowledge as well.
Jack

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:41 am

Good point. I'll structure the new pages so we can add information at the Range level.

Thanks!

PreviousNext