Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14erology?

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

14erology?

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:12 am

A popular request that I get is to add orology/geology information to the 14er pages. I've been thinking about this and would like to add the functionality where registered users could add content that would be displayed via a "14erology" link on each 14er page.

To the geology people out there... Would you have much interest in contributing this type of info to the 14er pages if there was a page to do so?

I'm trying to determine if it's worth it to create the necessary pages. I know it would be great to have the information, but is there enough information about the 14ers that would make this type of content worth it, and interesting?
Only SNOW will end the madness

Site Administrator

Re: 14erology?

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:05 pm

I agree!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:14 pm

I plan on creating categories for the "14erology" information on each peak. Here's what I have so far:

Name History
Climbing History
Mining
Geology
Archaeology
Paleontology

more??

Postby schrund » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:40 pm

What are the chances we could gather the climbing history on each peak? First ascents? I assume much of this has been lost to history, saving a few prominent peaks.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:45 pm

Yup, good one.

Postby Mark A Steiner » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:54 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote: by BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:12 am
A popular request that I get is to add orology/geology information to the 14er pages. I've been thinking about this and would like to add the functionality where registered users could add content that would be displayed via a "14erology" link on each 14er page.

To the geology people out there... Would you have much interest in contributing this type of info to the 14er pages if there was a page to do so?

Some comments in the past have been offered about the unique geology of various 14ers. This is especially true in the San Juans where part of the range is dominated by massive volcanic features, whereas other places (such as the Needles) are dominated by precipitous granitic terrain forming what has been called the San Juan Dome. Undoubtedly some of my geologist colleagues may contribute some unique commentary about the 14ers that adds to the enjoyment of these magnificent landforms without overt technicality. Discussing the unique rock types and/or minerals found on 14ers might be a good place to start.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby ztop » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:19 pm

The geology of some of the peaks is fascinating--the Crestones, some of the San Juans, Maroons, especially . Others not so much, but there's still a story there and when you throw in some of the mining geology it can get really interesting. I'd be willing to do some writeups. Always ready to spread the Geo-spel.
Tom

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:22 pm

Cool!
I'm creating the pages to make it easy for us to add content and embed photos, etc.

I think it would be a nice addition.

Postby schrund » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:59 pm

Glaciology..... now I just opened a can of worms that has been opened before... :P
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

schrund wrote:Glaciology..... now I just opened a can of worms that has been opened before... :P

Would this fall under a broader, Geology category, which could include glaciation, erosion, etc.?

I could call the geology category "Geology and Mountain Formation" to be more clear.

Postby lodidodi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:24 pm

what about historic photos, i want to see a good picture of the boulder field inn
on huron I think i remember seeing a tombstone off the trail from the town that doesn't exist anymore

Postby schrund » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Good point Bill~ I didn't mean to make things more complicated.

Next