Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er Peak Checklists

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

Re: 14er Peak Checklists

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:55 am

To get the "winter" snowflake to show up, you have to update your peaklist. The calendar winter option is on the "Update Peak Details" page which is accessed by clicking the peak name when updating your list.

I just checked the database and your only peak "more details" is Longs
Only SNOW will end the madness

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:56 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:Any chance of adding counts for the top-100 and top-200 options? The new stuff is pretty awesome...

On the way!
I'm in the process of consolidating the 13er/14er checklist pages so I have less maintenance issues.

Ok, I finished consolidating 13er and 14er checklists into one set of programs. None of the links on the site have changed.

If you click a link for someone's 13er or 14er list, the page will default to the appropriate list type. But NOW we have the ability to change the list view to between 13ers, 14ers, centennials, bi-cents or 13ers+14ers. I have a bit more testing to do after the game. The new "accomplishment" icons are only displayed if viewing the list by elevation but I'll be adding an option to display those on the "by range" display, if the user wants to see them.

More to come...

Postby Mountain Ninja » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:47 pm

It seems that the "little hiker dude" icon for solo hikes glorifies hiking alone. Yet, almost all experienced hikers / guides will tell you, "Never hike alone!" in case of emergency.

Honestly, that silly little hiker icon makes me want to do more solo hikes, just for that "accomplishment," yet it's actually poor practice and can get you into a nasty predicament. (And I'm not just saying that because I watched 127 hours earlier today!)

Opinions?
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Fun with karate weapons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4kyfjGBiQ

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:05 pm

It's an individual decision that should be based on experience and proper planning. Ralston provided an example of improper planning. Do I think it's an accomplishment to have 300 14er solo summits? You bet.

If you'd like to have a discussion about it, please create another thread. Thanks

Postby Mountain Ninja » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:11 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:It's an individual decision that should be based on experience and proper planning. Ralston provided an example of improper planning. Do I think it's an accomplishment to have 300 14er solo summits? You bet.

If you'd like to have a discussion about it, please create another thread. Thanks

Sorry, Bill.

Fun with karate weapons:

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:17 pm

Hell no! No need to be sorry. For the majority of climbers, I'd agree that climbing solo is probably not the right option and they should spend more time with partners.

For the checklist pages, maybe I should just put a "warning" messege on the solo hiker dude so it doesn't look like we're glorifying it. Plus, that might keep reminding people about safety and planning.

Sorry, the Pats are only up 28-7, so I'm on edge!!!! 8-[ 8-[

Postby Matt Lemke » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:25 pm

I think this may be the right thread for this...
I just looked at a 14er checklist and all I thought was ACK!!!

Why did you put all the 14ers in one big list????????

I really liked them separated out by mountain range.

PLEASE restore it to the way it was [-o<

EDIT: Just saw the 13er one as well and ACK!!! ACK!!!

There was already enough scrolling on the previous layout with the San Juans having sooooo many 13ers and now there an ungodly amount of scrolling with all the 13ers in one list!
Was this what everyone wanted????
Can't be...
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:33 pm

On the peak list, select "Display By Range" in the view criteria to see the list horizontally. I haven't decided which one (by RANGE or ELEVATION) I want as the default, but I'm certainly open to more suggestions.

I might also add a "Checklist Layout" option on the Display Settings page. By doing that, we can all choose the one we like better.

Postby Matt Lemke » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks so much!!! You may have just saved my mountaineering career as I was just slightly contemplating leaving this site due to excessive scrolling when I first saw the LONG list :lol:

No way would I have figured that out on my own. ](*,)

Default def should be "by range" IMO
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:44 pm

I think I agree.
But I will mention that for those of you with a lot of the "little icons" next to each 14er, I had to remove them on the BY RANGE view because of space issues. They can still be viewed by hovering the mouse over a peak name. In the BY ELEVATION view, however, the icons have a column of their own.

Postby Mountain Ninja » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:01 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Hey Bill, I'm not crazy about the "I have a TR for this peak" denotation - just my 2c

Agreeing with Jim, maybe not having the "I have a TR for this peak" icon would save on space, so the peaks viewed by Range could still have the new cool icons? The icons are awesome and motivating IMO.

And I'll put in a +1 for "By Range" as the standard, but being able to choose your favorite standard view is just as good. I love how much cool stuff this site offers! :)

Fun with karate weapons:

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:43 pm

I set the default to "By Range" and will eventually put a default option on the Display Settings page.

Thanks for the feedback!

PreviousNext