Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er Peak Checklists

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Re: 14er Peak Checklists

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:35 pm

Papillon wrote:But the last thing you want to do is start mixing lists. You start messing with the synergistic effects and it can lead to some dark, dark places. Trust me, I've been there. Take Meeker and Longs via The Loft aka "The Front Range Speedball". You've got a Boulder County highpoint, a RMNP highpoint, a Longs Peak quad highpoint, an Allenspark quad highpoint, etc.

The Front Range Speedball? I like the sounds of that, in a twisted, John Belushi, coke'n heroine-off-the-bathroom-mirror sort of way. But those days are behind me, so I'll heed the warning.

I actually do my best to combine as many lists as possible, at times finding myself not only happily a-summit, but also knee-deep in a veritable "checklist cocktail," if you will. Take Blanca Peak, for example: you got your 14er list, your ultra-prominence list, plus it's the county highpoint of Alamosa and Costilla counties. If you wander just a little ways off to the northwest a bit, well there's the highpoint of Huerfano county too! But let's not stop there... it's also #7 on the 1,000 Highest Peaks of the Contiguous U.S. list. One peak, six lists, multiple peak-gasms. It's enough to make you wish you still smoked!

Then there's Mount Elbert via Black Cloud Creek. Right away you're going to romp right over South Elbert, on the unranked 14er list; then when you hit the summit, that's when the real trouble begins: Colorado State Highpoint, Colorado 14er, Lake County Highpoint, #3 on the lower 48 Ultra-prominence list, and #2 on the highest 1,000!

My personal favorite was Mount Whitney: Cali-14er, Highpoint of Inyo & Tulare Counties, State Highpoint, Contiguous U.S. Highpoint, #2 Ultra-prominence, #1 of 1,000 Highest, and Sequoia National Park highpoint! That's eight lists.

Gannett was on eight lists too... Wyoming 13er, State Highpoint, Fremont County Highpoint, Sublette County Highpoint, Bridger Wilderness Highpoint, Fitzpatrick Wilderness Highpoint, Ultra, and a proud member of the contiguous 1,000 highest. It *should* be on more, though, as hard as you have to work to get it!

Yeah, I hate those lists... never pay no attention to'em at'all :D

Postby djbritton » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:39 pm

cvrti5 wrote: cvrti5 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:13 am

Doug Shaw wrote:
cvrti5 wrote:
No lists! LIST + ME = 0.

If we solve your equation for ME, it tells us that you're nothing.

(The math is sound, even if the English is a bit funky...)

Err no, ME = -LIST. (I'm the NEGATIVE of a list) Don't go against a math major!

Correct. Or, put it in English: you are the OPPOSITE of a list.

Postby Doug Shaw » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:08 am

cvrti5 wrote:
Doug Shaw wrote:
cvrti5 wrote:No lists! LIST + ME = 0.

Being a math major doesn't enter into it. You said "No lists!", therefore LIST = 0.

LIST + ME = 0
0 + ME = 0
ME = 0

As you can see, it logically follows that this whole discussion is for nought.

Postby djbritton » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:15 am

g wrote:Doug Shaw » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:08 am

cvrti5 wrote:
Doug Shaw wrote:
cvrti5 wrote:
No lists! LIST + ME = 0.

Being a math major doesn't enter into it. You said "No lists!", therefore LIST = 0.

LIST + ME = 0
0 + ME = 0
ME = 0

As you can see, it logically follows that this whole discussion is for nought.

You can't take: LIST + ME = 0
and turn it into: 0 + ME = 0 ...... I mean, where did you put 'LIST' in the equation? You would have to move it to the right side. So you would have ME = 0 - LIST.

Think of it as +2 + -2 = 0. Obviously +2 and -2 are opposites. Just like LIST and ME. That's why the equal 0.

And this is my last post on the subject.

Postby Doug Shaw » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:35 am

djbritton wrote:You can't take: LIST + ME = 0
and turn it into: 0 + ME = 0 ...... I mean, where did you put 'LIST' in the equation?

I covered that. He had predefined LIST = 0 in words ("No lists!"), therefore it is simple substitution.

Postby Doug Shaw » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:03 am

mu

Postby SmithClimber » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:44 am

Susan,

thank you for the laugh this morning!

Stephen

susanjoypaul wrote:
Papillon wrote:But the last thing you want to do is start mixing lists. You start messing with the synergistic effects and it can lead to some dark, dark places. Trust me, I've been there. Take Meeker and Longs via The Loft aka "The Front Range Speedball". You've got a Boulder County highpoint, a RMNP highpoint, a Longs Peak quad highpoint, an Allenspark quad highpoint, etc.

The Front Range Speedball? I like the sounds of that, in a twisted, John Belushi, coke'n heroine-off-the-bathroom-mirror sort of way. But those days are behind me, so I'll heed the warning.

I actually do my best to combine as many lists as possible, at times finding myself not only happily a-summit, but also knee-deep in a veritable "checklist cocktail," if you will. Take Blanca Peak, for example: you got your 14er list, your ultra-prominence list, plus it's the county highpoint of Alamosa and Costilla counties. If you wander just a little ways off to the northwest a bit, well there's the highpoint of Huerfano county too! But let's not stop there... it's also #7 on the 1,000 Highest Peaks of the Contiguous U.S. list. One peak, six lists, multiple peak-gasms. It's enough to make you wish you still smoked!

Then there's Mount Elbert via Black Cloud Creek. Right away you're going to romp right over South Elbert, on the unranked 14er list; then when you hit the summit, that's when the real trouble begins: Colorado State Highpoint, Colorado 14er, Lake County Highpoint, #3 on the lower 48 Ultra-prominence list, and #2 on the highest 1,000!

My personal favorite was Mount Whitney: Cali-14er, Highpoint of Inyo & Tulare Counties, State Highpoint, Contiguous U.S. Highpoint, #2 Ultra-prominence, #1 of 1,000 Highest, and Sequoia National Park highpoint! That's eight lists.

Gannett was on eight lists too... Wyoming 13er, State Highpoint, Fremont County Highpoint, Sublette County Highpoint, Bridger Wilderness Highpoint, Fitzpatrick Wilderness Highpoint, Ultra, and a proud member of the contiguous 1,000 highest. It *should* be on more, though, as hard as you have to work to get it!

Yeah, I hate those lists... never pay no attention to'em at'all :D
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. T. Roosevelt

Postby susanjoypaul » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:19 am

SmithClimber wrote:
susanjoypaul wrote:Yeah, I hate those lists... never pay no attention to'em at'all :D

Susan,
thank you for the laugh this morning!
Stephen

Well sure... you know you can't take these things too seriously.

But for those who do, I don't know how I possibly overlooked the USA Lower 48 Drainage Basin Highpoints list!

Blanca = Highpoint of the Rio Grande Drainage Basin
    Elbert = Highpoint of the Mississippi Drainage Basin
    Whitney = Highpoint of the Great Basin, *and* the South San Joaquin Basin
That's 10 check marks for Mount Whitney - woo-hoo!

I apologize for this oversight.

Postby ketel1 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:30 am

Hilarious thread!! Thanks to you all. I was thinking about The Lists, too...and when The Lists are outlawed, only outlaws will have The Lists.
And you can pry My List out of my cold, dead hands.
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve

Postby susanjoypaul » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:28 pm

ketel1 wrote:I was thinking about The Lists, too...and when The Lists are outlawed, only outlaws will have The Lists.
And you can pry My List out of my cold, dead hands.
Beth

I'm glad to see that someone else shares the Passion of the Lists. I don't proselytize The Lists, because I realize that you don't choose The Lists, The Lists choose you. And it's not fair of me to denounce those who have not been Chosen.

The Lists are important. They have their own page on:

SummitPost: http://www.summitpost.org/list/
PeakBagger: http://www.peakbagger.com/ListIndx.aspx
And of course, John Kirk has an entire site devoted to them: http://listsofjohn.com/

The Lists deserve their own thread on 14ers.com too!

So, I'll move this discussion to a new thread: The Lists.

Postby Joe Miner » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:20 pm

All Hail Susan the High Priestess of Lists
Let the Lists be with you.
Let the Lists guide you.
May the peace of the Lists comfort you
May the Lists keep you from harm.
Blessed be the Lists.
Explore, Dream & Discover..............

Postby d_baker » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:14 pm

What about adding to the user's profile/14er Peak List, "When was your first 14er climbed?"

PreviousNext