Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er Peak Checklists

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Re: 14er Peak Checklists

Postby USAKeller » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:51 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:"West Wilson"? I did that one in a thunder storm with USAKeller and cotajames.

I forgot about that one! Did we also get "West Evans" either time we did it?

I like this in addition to the new 13ers checklist, BTW!
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:58 pm

USAKeller wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:"West Wilson"? I did that one in a thunder storm with USAKeller and cotajames.

I forgot about that one! Did we also get "West Evans" either time we did it?

I like this in addition to the new 13ers checklist, BTW!

Thanks!
Nope, we skirted West Evans.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby MountainHiker » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:33 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:
MountainHiker wrote:Wow, some of these I’ll have to pour over the maps to figure out if I stood on them or not. If I’m not sure or know I haven’t then you just provided me with another excuse to go climb these again!

I have eight of the fifteen... and DHatfield had the forethought to put together trip reports as we completed some of them. The pics / route descriptions may help you figure out if you got these summits or not.

North Massive: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=6040&parmuser=dhatfield&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include
West Evans: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5881&parmuser=dhatfield&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include
South Bross: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5780&parmuser=dhatfield&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include
South Elbert: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5861&parmuser=dhatfield&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include
South Little Bear: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5941&parmuser=dhatfield&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

Thanks Susan,

I guess I’ll never be done with these things. Unranked sub peaks, the grid, different routes, what’s next? There will always be something!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:46 am

g wrote:Crestone Peak has three summits?

Many people do the "easy" one, East Crestone, right after Crestone Peak, because it's so easily accessible from the saddle - just a short trip, maybe 30 minutes up and down. It's also the highpoint of Custer county, for us folks trying to complete the 64 Colorado county highpoints.

Northeast Crestone is a different matter: an out of the way pinnacle, although I've heard it's short, and *very* low class 5. I haven't done it yet, but there's a picture of it in a trip report that someone (lordhelmut?) posted here a few months back.

MountainHiker wrote:I guess I’ll never be done with these things. Unranked sub peaks, the grid, different routes, what’s next? There will always be something!

Yeah, but isn't it great? This is just the tip of the ice, er... mountaintop! There are always going to be more lists: California 14ers (12), Colorado County Highpoints (64), U.S. 13ers (yes, beyond Colorado - there are a bunch of them!), State Highpoints (50), National Park Highpoints (58), County summits, winter ascents, etc. I have at least a dozen different lists that I'm chipping away at... and I may never finish any of them. Honestly, I don't care... finishing isn't the point.

13ers are the most exciting thing to happen to 14ers.com since 14ers. And these "unofficial 14er summits" are a close second, each one offering us all another chance to get out there and up there and have one hell of another day in the mountains.

I look back at what I've done and I'm proud - and thankful for having the opportunity, and the time, and the health, and the friends, to have done it. I look forward at what I have yet to do and I'm excited. This isn't a chore. This is a gift. Happy Mountains to Me!

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:56 pm

Yup, that's it. Here's the LoJ page... there's even a TR that links back to 14ers.com: http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=18

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:57 am

cvrti5 wrote:Hey, while we're at it, let's also add a checklist for each of the different routes on the 14ers and 13ers and respectable sub-peaks. Oh, and when someone comes with a new route, add that the checklist. Pretty soon the checklist will get so big that only 5 people in the world will accomplish it. Yay!

Plus Cooper. 5 people plus Cooper.

Those checklists already exist - somewhere. Whether you want to acknowledge, or embrace, or try to complete any of them, is up to you. For some of us, this isn't a competition, it's a lifestyle, and those lists just provide us with another way to look at how we've chosen to live our lives, with numbers, graphs, stats, rankings and grids.

Whenever I clean out a quad (summit all the ranked peaks within a quadrangle) my hiking buddy usually says, on the top of the final peak, "Well, I guess we won't have to come back here again." It's always a little sad, because - even though we "finished the list" for that quad - we love the place, and the views, and the moment, and we don't want it to be our last time in that place. Ultimately, we end up - on the hike out - talking about the *unranked* peaks in the quad that we might come back for, or maybe some crags that we spotted, that might make for some good technical climbing down the road. It feels good to hit a goal, but that's really just a very small part of why we do this.

To the lists, I say: "bring'em on!" If all I followed was the standard ranked 14er list, I'd be spending a lot of weekends at home, waiting for the avalanche conditions to subside, or the temps to rise. As it is, I have over a dozen lists, providing endless opportunities, and allowing me to get 123 peaks so far this year. And I'm not even "hardcore" - there are a lot of other people on this site who put me to shame in that respect.

If you finish the list - whatever the list - are you just going to quit? That's your prerogative, I guess. But if you get to the top of that final peak, and you find yourself longing for more, you're going to be very thankful that someone put together a nice new list for you. Yay!

Postby rijaca » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:08 am

+1 to what Susan posted.

Plus, I look at these lists as opportunities/ideas. Same way I look at guidebooks, TRs, and maps.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby nickonov » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:10 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:"North Snowmass"

I like to refer to this as "Dumbass Peak", having climbed it and enjoyed the sights for a full five minutes before realizing that I wasn't on Snowmass' summit. Maybe the official naming will have to wait until I'm gone, as is customary when honoring namesakes. Great unobstructed view of Capitol Peak from there, though.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:31 am

nickonov wrote:

I like to refer to this as "Dumbass Peak", having climbed it and enjoyed the sights for a full five minutes before realizing that I wasn't on Snowmass' summit. Maybe the official naming will have to wait until I'm gone, as is customary when honoring namesakes. Great unobstructed view of Capitol Peak from there, though.

How was that final pitch to the "top" of the point? Oh, and did you get the true summit that day?
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby MountainHiker » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:10 am

susanjoypaul wrote:
Whenever I clean out a quad (summit all the ranked peaks within a quadrangle) my hiking buddy usually says, on the top of the final peak, "Well, I guess we won't have to come back here again."

That’s not how I think. With almost every mountain I know there’s a good chance I will come back again. I like to get new peaks, but I also like to revisit peaks. To me the main thing is to climb something. I’ve never been afraid of repeats. I haven’t gone as after some of the lower peaks as much as some. But now this thirteener list has got me re-noticing some mountains I’ve been meaning to climb.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Weegie5 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:32 am

Why isn't Sunlight Spire one of the grey unnamed "peaks" listed?
~James

Postby nickonov » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
nickonov wrote:

How was that final pitch to the "top" of the point? Oh, and did you get the true summit that day?

Oh, it was only a five-minute traverse over to the real summit... but my detour cost me, as someone got up there (from the west) just before I did. :) The climbing was third-class, at most. The final pitch to the top of the point (Dumbass Peak), however, seemed to be a bit more difficult. I call it "the library", because I was pulling out nice, book-sized rocks on the way up. Summit fever!
Last edited by nickonov on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext