Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mobile device support on 14ers.com

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Re: Mobile device support on 14ers.com

Postby Jim Davies » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:48 pm

There's also Semaphore Flag Signalling. Ideal for mountaintops.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Doug Shaw » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:04 pm

Jim Davies wrote:There's also Semaphore Flag Signalling. Ideal for mountaintops.

Jeez, are we going backwards here?

Avian carrier is clearly a superior transmission technology and predates semaphore signaling by 17 years in the internet context, and by hundreds of years in real-world context.

While semaphore signaling will provide lower latency in specific line-of-site implementations, it is going to suffer from abysmal bandwidth constraints - and furthermore it lacks any practical scalability in this latter regard. While one could obtain a linear increase in bandwidth capacity by the parallelization of signaling stations and making the protocol full-duplex, there are obvious physical limitations that will place bounds on the expandability of this plan (on a case-by-case basis). Further, transmitting data beyond two line-of-sight endpoints introduces the risks of increased error rates and the increasing latency that comes with the need for retransmission.

Avian carrier does not suffer from the line-of-sight limitation and in most cases it will a offer a much longer single-hop transmit range (at the cost of increased latency - but this is technically true for any protocol). Even better, avian carrier (much like its more modern, if less-cultured and internally-combusting cousin the station wagon) offers a significant advantage in that its bandwidth capacity scales proportionately with advances in information storage density.

There are cases where semaphore technology will have a significant edge - like in multicast applications - since avian carrier is strictly a point-to-point technology. (Attempts to adjust avian carrier to a multicast technology by injection of high-velocity lead into the transmission medium while in transit have consistently failed - for reasons which should be self-evident.)

To be fair, though, semaphore technology does have a long, proud history in literary application.

Postby Jim Davies » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:05 pm

Have I ever mentioned that I used to work for FedEx? Your plan has its drawbacks.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Previous