Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mobile device support on 14ers.com

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

Mobile device support on 14ers.com

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:48 pm

I've added some new functionality to detect mobile phones and display pages a bit differently.

1) When you hit the home page (www.14ers.com) with a mobile or smart phone, it should redirect to a "clean" page that has the menu options listed down the page. It also has a list of current forum threads at the bottom and a quick "go to bottom" link at the top.
2) Other pages will display only the 14ers.com logo at the top, instead of the orange header bar with chat links, "did you know," etc.

Can some of you with iPhones, Blackberrys or other smart/dumb, web-enabled phones give it a whirl to see if things are looking better? Most importantly, I'd like to hear some feedback on whether or not you are seeing the "clean" home page. I still have some work to do so that some of the busier pages display with less info. Also, I can't test every type of phone, so I'm sure there will be some mobile phones that don't display some of the pages properly.

Oh, and I haven't done anything with how the forum displays for mobile users - yet. I try not to modify the forum software too much because it makes it difficult to apply updates, but I'll look to see if there are some changes I can make without adding to much future work.

Thanks!
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Site Administrator

Re: Mobile phone support on 14ers.com

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:03 pm

Thanks! I'll check the font size.

Postby Indigomountain » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:07 pm

Oh ya, I like that way better than it was. Much easier to read and the font size on my phone is fine.............(palm centro). Loads much quicker.

Thanks!
"Peace, Love and Fresh Mountain Air"

Postby Agapeman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:08 pm

Working very nice on my iphone Bill, good work. Thanks for all you do.

Rich

Postby gsliva » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Works great on my Ipod Touch and my Blackberry Storm. Thanks Bill. I've been following you on twitter and I can't believe you have time to paint and stain your house as well as keep this web site going so well. Thanks and keep the tweets coming as well. @doverpro
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.

Postby ConPar » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:24 pm

Looks great on my iPod touch, in fact this is posted from it. Everything is beyond satisfactory. :)

Postby lazyhiker » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:43 pm

Looks great on iphone!

Postby TylerStorm » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:03 pm

I just tested it on my "dumb" Samsung phone and it works great! Thanks a lot! I'll be able to log on anywhere now! :D
Wisdom is the quality of being able to avoid situations where you need it. not sure

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them. Henry David Thoreau

Postby MyFeetHurt » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:16 pm

This is a great idea. Here are my suggestions:

Add a place to login on the mobile phone home screen.

Keep the latest forum post at the top ( I read post every day, but only read routes once a month).

Add a link to go to the non mobile version of the site easily for the times that we want the fancy page. Not 14ers.com related, but sometimes I have a lot of trouble trying to get the full page to load instaed of the mobile version. Is there a trick to "unmobilize" your page query?

The page looks good on my iPhone, I like it.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:35 pm

MyFeetHurt wrote:This is a great idea. Here are my suggestions:

Add a place to login on the mobile phone home screen.

Keep the latest forum post at the top ( I read post every day, but only read routes once a month).

Add a link to go to the non mobile version of the site easily for the times that we want the fancy page. Not 14ers.com related, but sometimes I have a lot of trouble trying to get the full page to load instaed of the mobile version. Is there a trick to "unmobilize" your page query?

The page looks good on my iPhone, I like it.

I rearranged the page a bit and put a "Recent Forum Topics" link at the top that will take you right to the list. I also expanded the list and added forum login links. I'll work on the code to allow mobile users to view the normal (fancy) home page via another link. Thanks!

I made some major internal changes to the mobile home page, so if anyone has problems on a smart phone, please post in this thread.

Postby Subway » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:07 pm

Loads clean & looks great on a Palm Treo - Thanks!

Postby martynda » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:12 pm

Looks great on a BB Bold!

Next