Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

You Rank the 14ers - NEW PAGE!

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Re: Rank the 14ers - NEW PAGE!

Postby 14er_Crazy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:48 am

brett.t.burch wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote: I think I may also add some sort of "Difficulty Calculator" thingy ...

Bill, this might be a ways out, but I really like this idea. If you could store data for each peak and then have the calculator rank them for you with a value (1 - 100 or whatever) that would be cool. It would also be nice to save some other attributes about peaks on your checklist such as route (so you get data for not just the standard route) and season. Then you could then extract something like "In the summer route a is easier than route b on peak x, but in the winter the easiest route is actually route c" or if you were looking for a medium difficulty non-standard summer route you could filter results based on season, etc... possible?

I like the idea of adding different routes as well, considering that I've only done 23 14ers and would like to know how my "tougher" routes compares. I just KNOW that Holy Cross's Halo Ridge route would rank higher than the Standard Route! :)

Either or, I just love what you have up there so far, Bill!
Nausea at altitude, bad knees coming down, high winds, snow, gropple, the occasional thunderstorm and lightning... MAN, I love 14ers!

Re: You Rank the 14ers - NEW PAGE!

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:21 am

While we all have our opinions of what makes a route more difficult than another, and I am sure there are a lot of discrepancies between the "average" list and people's individual lists, I just have to ask: How can Oxford be easier than Belford if you have to climb over Belford to get there? :-k Just curious!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby Matt » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:59 am

Chicago Transplant wrote:While we all have our opinions of what makes a route more difficult than another, and I am sure there are a lot of discrepancies between the "average" list and people's individual lists, I just have to ask: How can Oxford be easier than Belford if you have to climb over Belford to get there? :-k Just curious!

I'm with you on this one. This rings true even more loudly for Tabeguache, unless you choose to descend into some other drainage to avoid going back over Shavano. At least with Oxford, you don't have to reascend Belford on the way back if you don't want to.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:15 am

The explanation for Oxford is simple: When I first created the "rank them" page, I had the list grouped by difficulty but sorted (within each group) descending BY ELEVATION. It was this way when the first 50 or 60 people added lists and what I noticed was that many people only ranked the harder peaks and left the easier ones (blue and green, mostly) alone. Thus, the averages in the easier groups are skewed toward a sorting of elevation more than actual rated difficulty.

Things will average out better over time because the base list now starts out with a fairly good ranking of the peaks, by difficulty.

My recommendation: Anyone that added a rank list, before we had 75 or so lists, should try to rank all of the peaks as best they can. Also, there's a "start over" option that may make things easier.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:26 pm

That makes sense Bill, thanks! Hopefully more people will fill in the "easier" peaks so that people are getting a more accurate reflection of people's opinions of all peaks.

Matt - I noticed that about Tabeguache too I guess I just thought maybe those people had done Jennings Creek before it was "closed" due to erosion. :wink:
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Previous