Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

You Rank the 14ers - NEW PAGE!

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Re: Rank the 14ers - NEW PAGE!

Postby cheeseburglar » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:14 am

That's a little tricky ordering the bottom of the list.
It would be good if everyone could see my list, so they don't get it wrong!!!
This is a test, isn't it?

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:10 am

I added the mountain range in each box and spruced things up a bit. If anyone sees formatting problems, please post your browser name (plus version) and I'll see if I can fix it.

Thanks!
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:29 pm

Neat idea – of course every time I move the mountains around I then change my mind and move them again!

Maybe a comment box to go with each mountain – like what we have with the peak lists. That way if we are ranking high or low on a given mountain, compared to general consensus we can comment why. In several cases my perception of the relative hardness, compared to others, varies quite a bit. Often it was how I was feeling, or the conditions on a given day. Other times it was my personal comfort level with various parts of the route. Since this is our personal ranking I see it as an opportunity to stray from the Yosemite Decimal System ranking of the hardest move.

For instance a mountain like Maroon I’ll rank relatively high because of the loose rock, route finding challenges, length of the route that is challenging and sheer amount of both mental & physical energy it takes to get up and down the mountain - while still acknowledging it should be lower ranked if holding to the Yosemite Decimal System for hardest move on the easiest or standard route.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby JimR » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:43 pm

Nice capability. One little problem for me (Mozilla Firefox, 3.0.3) is that the numbers don't line up with the Peaks. Each number along the left column takes up more vertical space than a single peak, so my peak list starts around #4 and ends around #56.

A nice additional feature would be if we could include ties, in case we think that two or more peaks are about the same difficulty.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:47 pm

Good idea! I think I may also add some sort of "Difficulty Calculator" thingy on the right side of the page. It could include exposure, hardest move, stability, and a few other criteria and might help people fine-tune selections.

I know the page is very subjective, but I've found it helpful to think about the route beyond my personal experiences on it. Subtracting how I felt and conditions that weren't dry/summer.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:49 pm

JimR wrote:Nice capability. One little problem for me (Mozilla Firefox, 3.0.3) is that the numbers don't line up with the Peaks. Each number along the left column takes up more vertical space than a single peak, so my peak list starts around #4 and ends around #56.

Yeah, Safari does that too. I'll see if I can tighten that up.

JimR wrote:A nice additional feature would be if we could include ties, in case we think that two or more peaks are about the same difficulty.

Hmm, maybe a tie could be broken by further extending your criteria - like distance, trail condition, etc.

Postby JimR » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:09 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Hmm, maybe a tie could be broken by further extending your criteria - like distance, trail condition, etc.

In my case, I think the problem is that it has been so long since I've done some of these peaks, that the memory has got rather blurred, and the relative difficulty of different peaks is difficult to distinguish. (Please don't tell me that I need to go out and do all of them over again--on second thought, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing.)
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.

Postby CO Native » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:47 pm

That was tough to rank them. Especially as you get into the easier ones. Which is harder Handies or Sherman? That's a tough distinction to make.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby glodder » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:50 pm

Great idea, Bill! I agree with the "flagging" idea so you know, when looking at someone's rankings, which peaks they've actually climbed.

Todd
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves." - Sir Edmund Hillary

Postby JimR » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:27 pm

It lines up in Mozilla Firefox now, but the second digit of double-digit numbers is obscured.

Postby dbroudy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:08 pm

What about using this same kind of page to having other types of rankings? Especially for more subjective rankings like most scenic, best ski run, best escape, most isolated, where there is no good objective universally agreed upon criteria.

For example, there's been a good number of threads about most scenic, and while the discussion is always interesting, it'd be kind of cool to have a more scientific ranking, at least as scientific as a subjective ranking can be.

Postby Kevin Baker » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:23 pm

Great tool, Bill! It would be nice to see the average ranking for those who have completed them all. I think you need to rank them based on the easiest route in dry conditions. For instance, you have the east slopes of Pikes and the north slopes of El Diente listed. There's a big difference between those and their easiest routes, especially on El Diente! El Diente would be in my top 8 if you rated it based on that loose north face!
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

PreviousNext