Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14ers.com costs

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

14ers.com costs

Postby Andy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:47 am

Hey Bill, I just got your "14ers.com Update - 10/15/2008" auto-email and had a quick question. You say the costs of running the site are more than $10,000 annual. What do you include in that figure? Hosting would obviously be a big line item but are there other costs? I'm sure that figure does not include any kind of salary for your time, but what is included?
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

Re: 14ers.com costs

Postby larkinrx2 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:55 am

i bet it includes those gps units that were a hit!! =D>

cant wait to see what next years raffle is to be
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby WishIWereinCO » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:33 am

Bill,

Also got your email concerning hosting expenses and the revenue from affiliate participation. I know that you are hesitant to place a large number of affiliate links, but I am sure a number of us purchase all kinds of items through Amazon. I would be more than happy to make those purchases through 14ers.com in order to increase your ability to earn more revenue.
I am not sure of the expense or effort it takes to become an Amazon affiliate or your desire to have "non-climbing" links, but this is such a valuable resource and the one web site that inspired my wife and I to climb Quandry, that anything we can do to assist we will be glad to.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:42 am

Andy wrote:Hey Bill, I just got your "14ers.com Update - 10/15/2008" auto-email and had a quick question. You say the costs of running the site are more than $10,000 annual. What do you include in that figure? Hosting would obviously be a big line item but are there other costs? I'm sure that figure does not include any kind of salary for your time, but what is included?

Hi Andy,
It's hosting and a few retail software costs. That's it. I don't get paid and the GPS units I gave away were purchased using 14ers.com store proceeds, to promote the store.

The hosting is the bulk because the site requires a fairly large, dedicated server with mega data communications availability. I learned long ago that undersizing the infrastructure caused me some serious headaches. If you visit Verio.com and check out their high-end MPS server option, that's what we're running on. A managed private server is obviously overkill for small sites, but it fits here.

Funny, right after I sent out the email, I got a bunch of... "Hey Bill, you're overpaying for web-hosting. There are places that do it for $50/month..."
I can't stress enough that the massive volume on the site doesn't fit well with your average web-hosting package geared towards smaller sites.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby g-man » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:52 am

Thanks Bill for all you do for us!
George
“He who forms the mountains, creates the wind, and reveals His thoughts to man, He who turns dawn to darkness, and treads the high places of the earth — the Lord God Almighty is His name.”

Getting up is easy, the hard part is getting down!

Postby Andy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:42 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
Andy wrote:Hey Bill, I just got your "14ers.com Update - 10/15/2008" auto-email and had a quick question. You say the costs of running the site are more than $10,000 annual. What do you include in that figure? Hosting would obviously be a big line item but are there other costs? I'm sure that figure does not include any kind of salary for your time, but what is included?

Hi Andy,
It's hosting and a few retail software costs. That's it. I don't get paid and the GPS units I gave away were purchased using 14ers.com store proceeds, to promote the store.

The hosting is the bulk because the site requires a fairly large, dedicated server with mega data communications availability. I learned long ago that undersizing the infrastructure caused me some serious headaches. If you visit Verio.com and check out their high-end MPS server option, that's what we're running on. A managed private server is obviously overkill for small sites, but it fits here.

Funny, right after I sent out the email, I got a bunch of... "Hey Bill, you're overpaying for web-hosting. There are places that do it for $50/month..."
I can't stress enough that the massive volume on the site doesn't fit well with your average web-hosting package geared towards smaller sites.

Cool. I do a lot of hosting at Verio too, but the beefiest thing I've ever needed is a VPS. But of course none of my projects demand the bandwidth or processes that 14ers.com does. :wink:
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

Postby Athos791 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:46 pm

Just wanted to say thanks Bill! For all that you do to keep the site running smoothly! =D> =D> =D>
"We go to the mountains to satisfy our own ambitions, not because others evaluate what we are doing." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby CO Native » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:53 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Funny, right after I sent out the email, I got a bunch of... "Hey Bill, you're overpaying for web-hosting. There are places that do it for $50/month..."

Hey Bill, you're overpaying for crampons. There're these things called yaktrax for less than $20... :lol:
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby ColoradoScott » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:41 pm

Thanks Bill. Keep up the quality work on the sites (14ers, Breck, 13ers)!!!

Now when are we going to have your great route descriptions for all of Colorado's 13ers? :mrgreen:

Postby David Connolly » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:12 pm

CO Native wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:Funny, right after I sent out the email, I got a bunch of... "Hey Bill, you're overpaying for web-hosting. There are places that do it for $50/month..."

Hey Bill, your overpaying for crampons. There're these things called yaktrax for less than $20... :lol:

:lol:
" I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth...."
Steve McQueen

Postby Mark A Steiner » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:30 pm

Last year I was one of those Bill spoke of who visited the site frequently and didn't bother to register. Having taken that step, and utilized the site resources, I have recommended the site to others who like the outdoors and who can participate in a helpful and informative forum.

Even if you don't do serious hiking or climbing, there is useful stuff here to utilize when planning day field trips almost anywhere in the Colorado high country, not just the 14ers.

Thanks Bill for shouldering the burdens for the rest of us to enjoy.
MAS
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.