Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

TRIP REPORT PAGES

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

TRIP REPORT PAGES

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:47 pm

The new TRIP REPORT pages are here!

Trip Reports

Entering TRs in the forum is a thing of the past. Now there are a bunch of custom pages I created to view, add, and edit trip reports. You can even go back and add photos to trip reports you created last year. All TRs from the forum are in the new system. As I make further enhancements to the TR pages, I'll post info in this forum area.

Here are the new screens that replaced the forum stuff:
- All TRs (Main Page)
- TRs by a forum user
- View a TR
- Add a TR
- Edit a TR
- Delete a TR
- Your TRs (where you can view all your reports and edit/delete)

A few notes:
1.) You can enter up to 5 peaks-climbed for a given TR. This wasn't possible in the forum, so I went through all of the existing TRs and enterered in multiple peak names when there were more than one (Grays+Torreys, Belford+Oxford, etc.). Now, on the main TR page, you can select a peak like Torreys and it will show all TRs for Torreys AND TRs where Torreys was selected as a secondary peak. This will be quite handy when viewing combo vs. single-peak routes.
2.) I will be adding more search functionality in the future.
3.) I have incorporated text formatting and emoticons just like in the forum.
4.) Links to the TR pages will also placed on the "Toolbox" page and several places throughout the site.
5.) Feel free to edit your old trip reports and add photos. The instructions are on the "Add Trip Report" page.

If you have any questions or problems using the new pages, please post a new topic in this area of the forum.

==========================

Why the change?
Generally, a lack of flexibility is what prompted me to write a custom TR system. In the forum, it was a pain to sift through reports. One main problem with the forum is that it's difficult to insert photos/maps into a post. The new pages allow image uploads/insertions when you enter the report. Beyond images, the new pages will allow for any customization that we see fit for the future. No more will I have to deal with the limitations and hassle of editing the forum software. The new system will also allow you to easily see all of your trip reports on one page. From there you can Edit or Delete reports. Again, specific pages for ease of use with your TRs.

What about text formatting?
You can enter BOLD, ITALIC, and UNDERLINE tags just like in a forum post. Soon, I will add colors too.

Can I enter Web links to other photos or sites?
You bet. The new Trip Report Add page provide instructions on how to insert a link. Simple.
Last edited by BillMiddlebrook on Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Wow

Postby MontroseMark » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:33 am

Wow! I tried the Add page without saving a report. Awesome stuff.
I need to move closer to the mountains...

Postby alanb » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:34 am

Wow Bill looks like a great improvement.

Are you still in the process of converting trip reports? I went to the "view all my trip reports" option and I did not see some that I have posted. For example Bierstadt, Evans, Sherman and Holy Cross.

Those people who have been away all winter will not recognize the site when they come back in the summer!!

As always very nice job!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:11 pm

You're right! A few are missing. I just went through the old forum trip reports for Mt. Bierstadt and all of them were in the new system except yours. I will check the rest and look at my conversion problem.

Sorry about that, I should have it figured out soon.

Thanks for telling me!!

Site Administrator

Problem solved

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:39 pm

Alan - I found the problem and moved over your reports. In short, it was an array programming problem and your reports happened to be the ones hit because things were sorted alphabetically.

I'll go through all the reports manually to make sure there are not others missing.

Postby doumall » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:31 pm

Very user friendly, Thanks! I will be sure to contribute as soon as I start getting real paychecks, which will be soon.

I noticed some of my reports are missing as well.

Site Administrator

Reports

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:20 pm

Doumall -

I just went through your reports (22 of them) and couldn't find any that were not moved over from the old forum area. Do you have any specific ones that you don't see? If you think there are still some missing, let me know and I will display the old forum area as read-only so you can look through it. It's still out there, we just can't see it.

Here is a link to your reports in the new system: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripuser.php?parmuser=doumall

Postby doumall » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:26 pm

Capitol, S. Maroon, Longs, Little Bear are a few I can remember, although I am pretty sure there several more.

Site Administrator

Coding

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:55 pm

They were out there, but the Trips by User page has a minor problem when displaying 20+ routes. I'm working on it now.

The other one that you didn't mention was a 2nd Castle report. You now have 26 out there.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:07 pm

Ok, that paging problem is fixed and your reports are all displayed. Thanks for the help! I'm sure there will be some other minor glitches to work out.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripuser.php?s=0&np=2&parmuser=doumall

Bill

Postby doumall » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:03 pm

Thanks! Your site rocks man.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:41 am

Bill, Actually one of my TRs is missing too, Challenger Point from August 2005. I forgot about that one myself at first but this thread jogged my memory!

Thanks, and thanks again for all the hard work you put into this site!

Next