Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

NEW! Route Selector Page

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Re: NEW! Route Finder Page

Postby Nathan Hale » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:41 am

Does selecting an option include everything less than that? I.e., does selecting Class 3 also select Class 1 and Class 2?

If not, then I would suggest using checkboxes instead of radio buttons so that you can select more than one possibility for those things.

And if so, then perhaps a note mentioning it?

Seems like a good tool for cutting down on pointless "which peak should I hike" threads. And eventually it could be expanded to include non-14ers and a distance from other towns/cities. Cool!
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com

Postby corinthia » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:20 am

Awesome tool, Bill! I concur with the suggestion of adding a note saying "If you choose class 3, all you're gonna get is class 3". I disagree with having the results populate everything Class 3 and lower if you choose class 3. It seems to me like that would defeat the purpose, particularly if you are looking for a class 3 with high exposure - you'd get a TON of results (Class 1, 2, and 3, as well as every exposure level from high to low) when there are actually only a few results that meet your criteria (class 3 with high exposure)

Just my $0.02.

And, Bill - you're right: Coding always wins. (this typed as I work on my second cup of coffee)

-Laura

*edited for clarity
Deep in the forest a call was sounding, and as often as he heard this call, mysteriously thrilling and luring, he felt compelled to turn his back upon the fire and the beaten earth around it, and to plunge into the forest, and on and on, he knew not where or why; nor did he wonder where or why, the call sounding imperiously, deep in the forest. ~Jack London, "Call of the Wild"

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:31 pm

I'll be working on the page this afternoon and will add some notes/instructions to the various criteria areas.
Thanks!
Only SNOW will end the madness

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:35 pm

I just cleaned up the page a bit and added some help fields. Soon, I'll add more criteria fields.

Route Selector

Postby Andy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:12 pm

Feel free to ignore what is very possibly a stupid comment - but I don't like the name Route Finder. Sound like something that should aid me in Route Finding. I think maybe a name like Route Search might be better. (Then again, maybe I've just been involved in too many naming/branding projects at work this week... :lol:)
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:25 pm

You're absolutely right. I was considering new name of "Route Selector" or something similar.

I'll just changed it.

Thanks, Andy!

Site Administrator

Re: NEW! Route Selector Page

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:59 pm

Just added COUNTY to the selection criteria.

Route Selector

Previous