Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

adding more pictures to TR's?

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

adding more pictures to TR's?

Postby Athos791 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:04 pm

Hey everyone, ive noticed that some of you have more than 20 pictures in your TR's and im trying to do the same... But i cant seem to figure out how to get there to be more than 20 spaces to choose to add pictures. Any help would be appreciated... Ide hate to have to split my Tr into 3 different ones...
"We go to the mountains to satisfy our own ambitions, not because others evaluate what we are doing." -Anatoli Boukreev

Re: adding more pictures to TR's?

Postby Greenhouseguy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:20 pm

Upload your images to a free image hosting site like Photobucket or Shutterfly. Copy the direct URL for the desired image, and paste it in the appropriate place in your report. Type [img]in%20front%20of%20the%20URL,%20and[/img] (both with the brackets) at the end of the URL. Save and preview the trip report to make sure that you typed everything in correctly. Your image should appear in the preview.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby dcbates80911 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:25 pm

Ya, what Greenhouseguy said.

It took me a while to figure it out (and I still needed some help for COMedic04). The nice part about this is you can do more pictures and your TR posts within seconds vs. an hour. The key is to get the link for the actual picture.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Postby Athos791 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks Greenhouseguy!
"We go to the mountains to satisfy our own ambitions, not because others evaluate what we are doing." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby JayMiller » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:05 pm

To be honest, I find that with most TR's that have more than 10 or 12 pictures the author is just trying to show what a great photographer he or she is. A lot of the pictures of flowers, sceneries, or of themselves or friends that don’t actually add any information to the report. I appreciate a couple of nice views and a summit picture is always welcome, but even they should reveal some aspect of the climb.
My Philosophy on Life: If you wake up alive and well ... Shut the heck up.

Postby Roald » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:47 pm

No doubt.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

Postby Athos791 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:18 pm

JayMiller wrote:To be honest, I find that with most TR's that have more than 10 or 12 pictures the author is just trying to show what a great photographer he or she is. A lot of the pictures of flowers, sceneries, or of themselves or friends that don’t actually add any information to the report. I appreciate a couple of nice views and a summit picture is always welcome, but even they should reveal some aspect of the climb.

Ive always felt that trip reports were just stories of the trip... if someone decides to put more flower pictures or whatever, than more power to them. No one is forcing anyone to read their report. So if you give information about conditions and about the climb, but add some more pictures than good for you... just what i think

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:13 am

Athos791 wrote:
JayMiller wrote:To be honest, I find that with most TR's that have more than 10 or 12 pictures the author is just trying to show what a great photographer he or she is. A lot of the pictures of flowers, sceneries, or of themselves or friends that don’t actually add any information to the report. I appreciate a couple of nice views and a summit picture is always welcome, but even they should reveal some aspect of the climb.

Ive always felt that trip reports were just stories of the trip... if someone decides to put more flower pictures or whatever, than more power to them. No one is forcing anyone to read their report. So if you give information about conditions and about the climb, but add some more pictures than good for you... just what i think

Some people post TR's on here for their own personal account of their trip, not to please a few people or conform to however other people think an ideal trip report should be made. Some are noticeably better than others, and some actually are worthless, but for the most part, a good mix of scenery, conditions reporting and people's 1st hand thoughts on a route are always a solid addition. Sometimes, the Qunadary or Bierstadt TR's get old, but like you said, we aren't forced to read them, but either way, its more important that the person writing them is satisfied. If every single report was all business and spoke solely of conditions, to me at least, they would become very monotonous and boring, a few solid shots of the landscape and to show the regions appeal are always welcome.

Postby DanielL » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:07 pm

A question for anyone out there who uses this method of uploading photos regularly - I can put as many photos as I want on a trip report by inserting the full URL inside of the image tag, but under the pictures column on the trip reports page, it shows that I have zero pictures on my report. I'm assuming that it's because I haven't loaded any photos onto 14ers.com, which is the usual method, but I noticed that many reports have the number of pictures shown in the column anyways. Do I have to upload the pictures to an image hosting site like Photobucket or Shutterfly, or is there some other method? Thanks!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Looks like you already figured it out since your trip reports show the number of photos on the Main TR Page
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby DanielL » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Sorry, I didn't explain very well - in all the trip reports I've posted so far, I loaded the pictures into 14ers.com using the traditional method with the 30 picture limit, but I noticed that many users can load 30+ pictures from an outside website, and in the pictures column of the main TR page, the number of images (e.g. 46) shows up. In an inactive report, I tried [img]INSERT%20FULL%20URL%20HERE[/img], which was explained earlier in this thread, and the image loaded, but on the Trip Report page, the image number is 0. It's not a big deal, but I'm curious.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Which page are you not seeing the # of photos on? The Main Trip Reports page or "My Trip Reports" page? As an admin, I see your inactive TR and it says it has 2 photos on the Main Trip Reports page.

Since your TR is inactive, I assume you're seeing the problem on the "My Trip Reports" page. If so, I'm not surprised because there are a few problems on that page which I need to fix.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Next