Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Antero road open to summit ridge??

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Re: Antero road open to summit ridge??

Postby Greenhouseguy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:33 pm

One of my occasional hiking partners drives a stock Toyota Tacoma, and he has driven up to 13,700 feet on Mt. Antero a couple of times. He had to back up a couple of times to get through the tight switchbacks, but didn't think that it was too hard. The lower road seemed like a b**** to me, though. We'll be driving down to Brown's Lake in the next couple of weeks, I'll put up a trip report and try to get good pics of the road.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby bdavis » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:33 pm

I've been hemming and hawing about driving to Brown's Lake or backpacking in (for a weekend tackle of Antero, Tabaguache, and Shavano)... The group would have a stock 4Runner and Land Cruiser - we've done some off-roading before, but it always scares the crap out of me. The descriptions I've read of the Antero road is that it's the worst at the bottom 2 miles and tight down towards Brown's creek - how tough is this drive? Is it worth backpacking instead for the piece of mind?

Postby Yikes » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:14 pm

cftbq wrote:Neither of these vehicles is really adequate to what you are seeking to do, although either will come close. I've taken a Forester up this road, so I speak from experience. You can undoubtedly get past the "standard" 4WD TH in either, but, sooner or later, the steepness of the road is going to defeat the Forester (for lack of power), and the tightness of the road is going to defeat the Explorer (wheelbase is too long). Still, if that's what you've got, flip a coin and get as far as you can. You should find plenty of places where you can decide that enough is enough and park it.

I think this is the vehicle of choice - sufficient power and turns on a dime for those pesky switchbacks

Postby Solo+1 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:17 pm

Bdavis. When I went down to Browns Creek, 2 years ago, my Pathfinder did very well. It is completely stock. No lift kit etc. Yes thw lower part of the road is slow going, and that is what I did, went slow and enjoed the scenry. I will be going up to Antero Monday, July 14th. If you want to try and team up for the drive let me know.

Postby cftbq » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:09 pm

bdavis wrote:I've been hemming and hawing about driving to Brown's Lake or backpacking in (for a weekend tackle of Antero, Tabaguache, and Shavano)... The group would have a stock 4Runner and Land Cruiser - we've done some off-roading before, but it always scares the crap out of me. The descriptions I've read of the Antero road is that it's the worst at the bottom 2 miles and tight down towards Brown's creek - how tough is this drive? Is it worth backpacking instead for the piece of mind?

The Land Cruiser should you stand you in pretty good stead. All the same, I think you'll have a better experience by parking it at the first hint of problems, and doing the rest as a hike. If you have the whole weekend, you can easily cover the mileage involved; the 3-fer would make a nice loop trip.
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.

Previous