Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Antero road open to summit ridge??

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Antero road open to summit ridge??

Postby Solo+1 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:28 pm

Does anybody know how far you can make it up the road to Antero?? Can you make it past the summit ridge and on down to Brown Creek???

Re: Antero road open to summit ridge??

Postby erik wellborn » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:38 am

Yep, the road is clear, there were a couple of jeeps up past 13000 ft on monday

Postby larkinrx2 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:48 am

up on antero yesterday, the bottom 2-3 miles is kidney bouncing material, after that it smooths out and is good travel. will have to cross the stream 3 times. There were a bunch of jeeps and 4 wheelers up there.
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby realhillboarding » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:55 am

i heard the road on antero is pretty narrow and rough... I was planning on taking my mom and sisters (from MN) up there for a full moon hike next week, my mom is worried that she won't be able to make the summit so I wanted to minimize our elevation gain. My vehicle choices are a subaru forester and ford expedition...which would be better? Obviously the expedition is much better offroad, but i'm concerned it may be too big for the road, any input?

Postby Cruiser » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:09 am

realhillboarding wrote:My vehicle choices are a subaru forester and ford expedition...which would be better? Obviously the expedition is much better offroad, but i'm concerned it may be too big for the road, any input?

The forester probably wouldn't make it as far as you'd like to go because of lack of clearance and lack of power. The expedition might have some trouble on the switchbacks higher up the road (due to it's length and width), and should you have to pass someone going in the opposite direction all bets are off. It gets pretty narrow in some sections above treeline.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby realhillboarding » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:06 am

Cruiser wrote:The forester probably wouldn't make it as far as you'd like to go because of lack of clearance and lack of power. The expedition might have some trouble on the switchbacks higher up the road (due to it's length and width), and should you have to pass someone going in the opposite direction all bets are off. It gets pretty narrow in some sections above treeline.

We will be driving up around 8:00pm on a tuesday, so i doubt there will be other cars on the road at that point.

from the map it looks like the switchbacks aren't until you're above treeline, would i be able to drive up 11000-11500' and just pull off to park somewhere?

Postby davebobk47 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:23 am

Yes, plenty of places to pull off and park between 11,000 and 11,800
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby CRSpeedy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:39 am

I don't mean to hijack, but it's along the same lines of the original question.

If you were to drive all the way to the end of the road in a vehicle that could make it up there, how much further is it to the summit of Antero? My parents enjoy riding ATVs and thought it might be a fun way for them to summit a 14er, since my dad isn't into hiking at all. If you parked the ATVs at the end of the road, would you be able to keep an eye on them on the hike to the summit?

Postby davebobk47 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:42 am

If you drove all the way up it would be a very short hike to the top of the unnamed point (13k something). From there you can see the entire ridge up to the summit.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby cftbq » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:38 am

realhillboarding wrote:i heard the road on antero is pretty narrow and rough... I was planning on taking my mom and sisters (from MN) up there for a full moon hike next week, my mom is worried that she won't be able to make the summit so I wanted to minimize our elevation gain. My vehicle choices are a subaru forester and ford expedition...which would be better? Obviously the expedition is much better offroad, but i'm concerned it may be too big for the road, any input?

I agree with Cruiser. Neither of these vehicles is really adequate to what you are seeking to do, although either will come close. I've taken a Forester up this road, so I speak from experience. You can undoubtedly get past the "standard" 4WD TH in either, but, sooner or later, the steepness of the road is going to defeat the Forester (for lack of power), and the tightness of the road is going to defeat the Explorer (wheelbase is too long). Still, if that's what you've got, flip a coin and get as far as you can. You should find plenty of places where you can decide that enough is enough and park it.
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.

Postby larkinrx2 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:43 am

i would prefer the exlporer and make it just past tree line, the hike on the road in the switchbacks wouldnt be terrible but i dont see the forester making it.
as for the drive/hike if you use atv and get to the prospect point all you have to do is cross the ridge then go up the summit slope, maybe 1 mile roundtrip? only problem would be no time to aclimate if your riding up. also no true trail on summit slope so slow going in the rocks
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby Solo+1 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:36 pm

Wow thanks fellow climbers. Two years ago I made it to Shavanos' peak, wanted to get to Tabeguache but the lightening was way too close for comfort. Had to bail off the summit ridge quickly. Last year I was in a freak accident with plywood blowing in winds up to 60 m.p.h. Almost killed me. :( Just now being able to climb again. So one of goals this summer is to get back to Tabeguache Peak.
Again thanks for the info. I drive a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder, have no problems with clearance. Did not hit anything going up to Antero 2 years ago. :)
Hope to meet more of you on the summits .

Next