Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

ROUTE EMERGENCY #s

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

ROUTE EMERGENCY #s

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon May 05, 2008 2:53 pm

The 14ers.com Online Guidebook routes now have the county sheriff phone numbers on the top of the route descriptions. The "Additional Tools" column is also used to display TOPO! GPS file links (if available) and GPX file links (if available). I used several sources to get obtain/verify the sheriff phone number data, but if you see one that's wrong, drop me a line or post here.

Sample from Crestone Peak route:
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Re: ROUTE EMERGENCY #s

Postby COmedic04 » Mon May 05, 2008 3:23 pm

=D> =D> Very well done, thanks for this excellent resource!
Paramedic: Drive safe, or I'll see you naked!!

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
- Anatoly Boukreev

La Mula

Postby La Mula » Mon May 05, 2008 3:50 pm

does Long's goto the RMNP rangers?

Postby covfrrider » Mon May 05, 2008 4:10 pm

what about adding this too? We'd have to verify, but I bet the collective community could tell you if the check marks are valid or not...
Attachments
emerg_idea.jpg
emerg_idea.jpg (32.36 KiB) Viewed 932 times

Postby CO Native » Mon May 05, 2008 4:15 pm

Boy that add would be tough to agree on. How good does the signal need to be and for how much of the route to be considered covered?
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon May 05, 2008 4:37 pm

covfrrider wrote:what about adding this too? We'd have to verify, but I bet the collective community could tell you if the check marks are valid or not...

That's a tough one and many people have asked for this enhancment. The problem is that each service is different and so are the phones. There's the issue of Analog vs. Digital towers and phones, too.

And, phones may work on a summit and not 50 feet down from a summit. Due to the unreliable nature of cell service and all of the variables, I decided not to add a "check" list.

Now, that doesn't mean I won't add a feature so people can enter their personal experience with cell service on a peak or remote location. I'll think about that.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby covfrrider » Mon May 05, 2008 5:07 pm

Good point... I was just thinking maybe the summit, or the trail head... maybe a free form would be good... always a tough one, because coverage can be so spotty.

Thanks for adding the local emergency contact info! that's a great safety enhancement.

Postby Hiking Mike » Mon May 05, 2008 8:34 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
covfrrider wrote:what about adding this too? We'd have to verify, but I bet the collective community could tell you if the check marks are valid or not...

That's a tough one and many people have asked for this enhancment. The problem is that each service is different and so are the phones. There's the issue of Analog vs. Digital towers and phones, too.

And, phones may work on a summit and not 50 feet down from a summit. Due to the unreliable nature of cell service and all of the variables, I decided not to add a "check" list.

Now, that doesn't mean I won't add a feature so people can enter their personal experience with cell service on a peak or remote location. I'll think about that.

I'm not sure how complicated this would be, but you could overcome the variability by providing a generalized statistic on cell phone coverage. Members could rate maybe two features of their experience with coverage, strength and distribution of that coverage throughout the route on an index of 1 to 10 and then the route page would display the mean rating, sample size, and standard deviation for people like Scott Patterson. :) That sounds hard to set up, though, and more trouble than I would want to go to for what it is, but it would be a way to get around the variability and give people an idea of what to expect.
...And my memory shall serve me in the way that memories do:
To conjure bygone times, and shine them bright anew,
To erase the strain of effort from faces of the past,
And resurrect slight triumphs as glories unsurpassed...