Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

HOW CAN I IMPROVE 14ERS.COM?

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Kiefer

Re: HOW CAN I IMPROVE 14ERS.COM?

Postby Kiefer » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:09 pm

I like three ideas, if I may:
A.) A more detailed section for users to add personal beta about a summit (IE: climbed with whom, conditions etc.); thoug I believe this has already been suggested.
B.) A winter checklist or winter 14ers summit completion area (in addition to the regular 14ers peak list).
C.) An area that users can also tally up mileage hiked/climbed in a year (same as the vertical feet climbed).

I'm also kind of on the fence about the additional moderators. I suppose as long as it's someone who isn't easily offended. Of all the 'mountain' sites out there, Bill, your site has by far the MOST entertaining forums! :D
Kiefer

Postby bayouboy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:13 pm

Bill,
You know my first suggestion: Allowing us to bookmark links for hikes we are planning. Links from maps, TR, weather conditions, Trail Head reports, etc. Second, is there a way to start a form for all the miscellaneous topics? i get tired of weeding through all of the BS topics. Finally, is there a way to allow bigger pictures? I'm not smart enough to figure out how to make my pictures small enough to fit on here. I have wanted an "avatar" for a long time. :oops:

Postby covfrrider » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:29 pm

Skasgaard wrote:B.) A winter checklist or winter 14ers summit completion area (in addition to the regular 14ers peak list).

Cool idea, but why stop there... 4 check marks, a little sunshine = Summer, a flower (even though they come in the summer) = spring, a gold leaf = Fall and (hmmm) a snowflake = winter.

Skasgaard wrote:I'm also kind of on the fence about the additional moderators. I suppose as long as it's someone who isn't easily offended. Of all the 'mountain' sites out there, Bill, your site has by far the MOST entertaining forums! :D

+1 :cartman:

Postby NE2007RLTW » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:13 pm

Great job, Bill! Since I'm still a rookie I can't find anything wrong with the site. I visit at least twice a day.

I would like to see groups listed by city/state, so people can get together with others that live close by to climb/carpool together, or to announce to others in the group to plan a trip. After my only trip report, I was contacted by 2 people, both from Nebraska, to get together for this coming summer. Probably made easier because my name starts with NE. I've also looked for others, most likely NE or Husker in the name, but having permanent groups would make it so much easier. I can only make it to Colorado once or twice a year, and I would be willing to pick up any other member from Omaha through Nebraska or Colorado for my next climb. I think others would like it, whether from Ft. Morgan or Cheyenne, to Miami or San Francisco. I'm sure the Denver/Colorado Springs/Boulder groups would be packed, but us flatlanders are few and far between. Either specific like Golden or the Bronx, to eastern Nebraska or all of South Carolina as examples. And even have subgroups to get more specific, or something like "6 14ers.com members within 25 miles" of that member. The profiles could mention what group(s) that member is a part of (Arizona group, Flagstaff group, S.W. group, etc.) Maybe even a map showing member locations? I'm going way too far but I'm hoping I'm not the only one wishing for something like this to get to know other hikers and share information and possible climbs together.

14ers.com is one of my regular websites. Thanks again, Bill.

Postby tauma » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:26 am

Dear Mr. Middlebrook,

This site is fabulous as it is. It confirms everything about the American nation that I have gleaned from many visits; E,N,S and W.

Thank you to all the contributors.

As for moderation I am aghast. Would I be a good moderator? 40+, 'foreign', kind, ruthless, tolerant, ambivalent, arrogant, shy, pragmatic, sceptical, loving and selfish. To name a human few.

Take a child and do what? Teach, warn, moralise and train?

The nature of the site captures a propinquity. Surely we are all 'mature'.

I can show 'you' what is through many doors but I would preach not opening plenty. Am I foolish, weak, naive or wise?

Oscar Wilde captured it all well in 'The picture of Dorian Gray', Shakespeare in 'As you like it' and Ayn Rand in the 'Fountainhead'.

And God bless Fat Tire or whomever placed the Bali bombers in paradise.

Kind regards
Steve Barker

Postby coloradokevin » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:22 am

Bill,

Awesome site you've made here, and we can really hardly ask for more!

I did like the idea that one person mentioned for an easier way to access the middle pages on long multi-page threads.

On the moderation issue, it seems like things have more-or-less been working nicely around here. I subscribe to a few different forums, and they span the spectrum in terms of moderator control. One of them is very lightly moderated, and is full of problems. Another board is very heavily moderated, and it is hard to get discussions going on that one. I also serve as a moderator on a professional forum that is moderated fairly heavily due to the sensitivity and political nature of some of the discussions, and that format works well for that specific type of environment.

I think the great thing about 14'ers.com is the community aspect... This board does a great job of moderating itself, if for no other reason (in my opinion) than the fact that many of the folks on here share a common bond, and have actually met each other in real life. The trolls occasionally show up, as they do everywhere, and they are almost always properly dealt with (as needed) by the community. The rest of the membership generally seems to know where the social boundaries are drawn (as adults should), and thus I think many internet-based problems are largely avoided around here!

So, whether or not you choose to add moderators to your forums for administrative purposes, I would encourage you to keep the same culture around here that has made this place so popular in the first place!

And, again, thanks for providing the hiking/climbing community with a great site!!!

Postby ocomik » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:18 am

It may have been mentioned but RSS feeds for the main site and it would be a bonus for the main forum and each of the main forum sections.

Thanks for all you do.

Mike
I'm a member of the Marmot Protection Society. Are you?

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:02 pm

Gahugafuga wrote:Bill,

I hope you didn't spend your day thinking about this website when it might have been the day of the year at Breck. Knee to crotch deep every run, and the Windows were still serving up chest/face shots up until they closed. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

P.S. It was good. :mrgreen:

OK, today they opened Lake Chutes at Breck after several days of snow accumulation. STEEP AND DEEP! After 5 laps over the summit of Peak 8, the snow was still amazing. Best day in-bounds so far this year... :mrgreen:
I'd add a picture, but I've already gotten off-track.

Anyway, keep the great ideas coming. After a few more days, I'll post a list of site enhancements that I'm going to start working on.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby TomPierce » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:21 pm

Bill: As has been said many times, you do a great job here. I've learned a few tricks & tips in the short time I've started visiting.

One thing I've thought about, but am not sure how/if to implement, is the idea of a 14ers'com...library? Resource section? What I've noticed is that many times this winter, for example, there have been very legitimate requests for the same information (e.g. how do I keep my feet warm, what are good winter boots, what's the scoop on ascending Quandary, etc. etc?) Again, legitimate requests for information, but I wonder if there's a way to say "See File #XYZ on the directory." The challenge of course is that with few topics is there 100% consensus (and some information may change with time) but the flip side is that (I suspect) some people give cursory answers because they have seen identical or nearly identical queries so many times.

Again, difficult to implement but with basic climbing/hiking questions from new entrants to the sport (or a new entrant into a subdiscipline like winter mountaineering) it'd be good to see that they get really accurate, thorough answers. Perhaps wishful thinking, just putting that out there.

Again, great job on a great site.
-Tom

Postby d_baker » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:37 pm

Great site Bill. Your dedication to improving & maintaining it is fantastic!! Thank you.

I'm curious to know if there's a tutorial section on how to use some of the functions? (for computer idiots like myself;)
For instance, I don't know what the tabs on the top of this message box is for. (e.g., Code, List, List=, [*], etc.)
I still don't know how to quote someone like others do here. (I usually re-type or copy/paste and credit the source.)

Thanks again to Bill and everyone else here that contributes.

Darin

Location: Little-Town; Front Ranger During the Week, Off Piste or close to it on the Weekends

Postby mtnbikir » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:08 pm

Optimize the main page or have a second main page for mobile devices. Pages on 14ers load differently on my palm since the change over a few mo's ago. No biggie whatsoever though. I only very occasionally check a funny thread or something from my phone when having beers with other 14ers members and someone says "hey did you see that" bla bla. I've tried using squeezer and a couple others but limited luck. http://modernnomads.info/wiki/index.php ... le+devices

Postby WishIWereinCO » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:02 pm

First, like many others I agree that this is wonderful site, and I am often here (thank goodness the office network admins haven't blocked me from viewing during those long conference calls).

I want to concur with a couple of others concerning having smaller groups be able to use the calendar, my wife and I will be in CO to attempt our first 14er and would love to have people join us.

Also, it would be nice if there were some way for me to know what other people are in the St Louis area. A way to find other hiking partners here, or the opportunity for us to carpool to CO.

PreviousNext