Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

HOW CAN I IMPROVE 14ERS.COM?

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Re: HOW CAN I IMPROVE 14ERS.COM?

Postby Chicago Transplant » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:50 pm

smoove wrote:
ClimbBasset wrote:Overall this is a great site, I don't really think you "need" to improve anything. Being a web programmer by trade there is always a push to evolve the site. The only real thing I could say is place a few click through ads to (REI, Backcountry, Campmor) on your site to pay your hosting fee and coffee bill. Otherwise don't change anything.

You mean like the one on the front page right under the picture of the big mountain?

If you plan on buying gear online, check this thread first and link to the sites through here so 14ers.com gets a commission...

http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=4456
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:13 pm

Bill, I'm lazy in not searching the entire thread to see if this has been asked before (and if you've answered), but is the Forum the only place I can see that I have a Private Message waiting for me?

It'd be nice if I could see that I have "1 new message" on the home page below where it welcomes me back each time.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby lizzard » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:19 pm

wildlobo - on the front page where you are signed in, if you put your pointer over your user name, there's a hover box showing messages. hope that helps!
I am a leaf on the wind... watch how I soar.
Shiny.

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:29 pm

Dammit! I was hoping I wasn't that blind! :oops:

Thanks!
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:51 pm

Okay, maybe not for 14ers.com per se, but I was browsing around your 13ers.com pics and noted that you are missing a lot of 13er photos. I have tons of 13er pics, and know a lot of others do too, is there a way to add a user contribution interface like you have for 14ers for "more photos?" We could help you fill in the gaps pretty quickly :wink:
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby tundraking » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Hi Bill. I am not sure if this is been brought up before, but is there a way to make the site more readable and more navigable on a handheld device such a blackberry? For example, the Weather link? Sometimes it is nice to check while on the way to the trailhead. Thanks for this great web site!

Postby Tommy Dorr » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:07 pm

I would love to see a 13ers.com! I'll take up a collection from some of the CS crew. Come on Bill. [-o<
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:36 pm

www.13ers.com

While it's not as robust as 14ers.com, I continue to add photos to the peak pages. I usually do large updates to that site during the winter months when I have more time to go back through photos.

I plan on expanding 13ers.com to include user-posted routes and trip reports, etc.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby Snowgirl » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:09 pm

I just wanted to throw it out there that this is a fantastic website and a wonderful resource. I'm a native New England Yankee and we don't have anything that can hold a candle to this site.
Thanks for all that you do!
Such things for example as the grasp of a child's hand in your own, the flavor of an apple, the embrace of a friend or lover...sunlight on rock and leaves, the feel of music, the bark of a tree, the abrasion of granite and sand, the plunge of clear water into a pool, the face of the wind--- what else is there? What else do we need?
--Edward Abbey

Postby jimlup » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:30 pm

Bill, it's been awhile since I endorsed the site with my $ but I'll do that because your site is an invaluable information resource.

My suggestion for an "improvement" would be to take the "Off Route" threads off the front page - give "Off Route" and link on the front page but take the threads off the front page. I come to this site for mountaineering information and really have gotten a bit tired of the many drama threads on the front page that have nothing to do with mountains, climbing, climbers or conditions.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...

Postby dcbates80911 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:42 pm

jimlup wrote:My suggestion for an "improvement" would be to take the "Off Route" threads off the front page - give "Off Route" and link on the front page but take the threads off the front page. I come to this site for mountaineering information and really have gotten a bit tired of the many drama threads on the front page that have nothing to do with mountains, climbing, climbers or conditions.

On the front page, go to "MORE" and "My Display Settings" where you can chose to remove the "Off Route" items.

I agree, I come to this sight for Mountain information and for the most part, don't want to read the drama. Although, there are some pretty witty people on this site. :)
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:02 pm

By Default, OFF ROUTE does not show up on the main page. You have to turn them "on" in your display settings. Additionally, OFF ROUTE threads can't be seen if you're not logged into the forum.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

PreviousNext