Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

HOW CAN I IMPROVE 14ERS.COM?

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Re: HOW CAN I IMPROVE 14ERS.COM?

Postby MtnHub » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:07 pm

Bill, great site!! Can't complain at all.

But as long as you're asking, would it be possible to include date and time (even approximate) with the photos so it would then give us a better 'picture' of conditions for that particular time of year? I know it would be quite an undertaking to caption all the ones on site right now, but even if they could be added with all new ones, that would be a start.

Also, how are topics added to the home page? I thought all new topics were listed there automatically as they were made, so I thought I was always able to view them. I posted a topic recently on the above thought and didn't see it until I actively went into that category. I now realize I've been missing many posts. I don't have a lot of time to go back and view old posts as my home computer is old and has some compatibility problems (I can't post on it or change settings etc), and I can't justify using my work computer for fun in the amount of time it would take to view them all. Just curious what the criteria for posts making the home page list is.

Postby Tornadoman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:24 pm

Bill,

Like most everyone has said awesome site! =D>

One thing that I am most interested in seeing as a novice hiker are "an exposure rating" so to speak. Maybe someting on a scale from like 1 to 5, with 1 being standard routes on Bierstadt and Elbert, and 5 being something like the knife edge on Capitol.

The one other thing that is really important to me on the site is trailhead access. Coming from Kansas to hike I want to be 100% sure that my 2wd car can make it to the trailhead, (or that there will be reasonable parking not too far from the trailhead if the road is 4WD). I think your trailhead access section is a good setup, I just think it isn't utilized as much as it could be by forum members, (sometimes there are only a couple updates a year). If there was someway to get a little more involvement from the general forum there that would be a HUGE HELP for people coming from a long distance who are trying to decide which mountain to climb and aren't sure if their car is going to hack it.

Otherwise, keep up the good work!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:54 pm

MtnHub wrote:Bill, great site!! Can't complain at all.

But as long as you're asking, would it be possible to include date and time (even approximate) with the photos so it would then give us a better 'picture' of conditions for that particular time of year? I know it would be quite an undertaking to caption all the ones on site right now, but even if they could be added with all new ones, that would be a start.

Also, how are topics added to the home page? I thought all new topics were listed there automatically as they were made, so I thought I was always able to view them. I posted a topic recently on the above thought and didn't see it until I actively went into that category. I now realize I've been missing many posts. I don't have a lot of time to go back and view old posts as my home computer is old and has some compatibility problems (I can't post on it or change settings etc), and I can't justify using my work computer for fun in the amount of time it would take to view them all. Just curious what the criteria for posts making the home page list is.

All topics make it to the home page list unless they are in the "Off Route" section of the forum. If you want to see off route posts on the home page, you can customize you home page view by clicking the "Display Settings" link on the upper right. If your computer doesn't allow cookies, you cannot change your display settings.

I plan on making the display settings a feature that can only be used by registered users. That way I can store the data on your profile instead of using cookies.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby USAKeller » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:00 pm

I'm not sure how much of an improvement this would be or how useful people would find it, but maybe adding a link for the gear classifieds people post to their profile, just like you have for their photos and trip reports. I'm not sure how many people look at the classifieds, but it appears we have more items wanting to be sold than actually being sold, and by adding a link to someone's profile might encourage more of the gear to be sold. It would also make profiles even more comprehensive than they already are.
Rise and grind. Every day.

Postby Oman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:02 pm

One suggestion: How about live on-line expert discussions, similar to the talks on washingtonpost.com

I think it would be a blast to have some interesting person (Gerry Roach, or a Division of Wildlife alpine biologist, or a Trust for Public Land person doing the land swap with Rusty Nichols, etc.) on this forum and take questions for an hour or so. You could advertise the online session a week or so in advance and collect questions for the entire week. Then run the answers as they're posted. And keep the transcripts archived, too.

Thanks for a fun site. Pretty impressive how far you've come with free content.

Postby Gahugafuga » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:45 pm

Bill,

I hope you didn't spend your day thinking about this website when it might have been the day of the year at Breck. Knee to crotch deep every run, and the Windows were still serving up chest/face shots up until they closed. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

P.S. It was good. :mrgreen:
Happiness is:

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:52 pm

Gahugafuga wrote:Bill,

I hope you didn't spend your day thinking about this website when it might have been the day of the year at Breck. Knee to crotch deep every run, and the Windows were still serving up chest/face shots up until they closed. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

P.S. It was good. :mrgreen:

Couldn't get out today, but I'll be doing laps tomorrow!
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby colorado yooper » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:02 pm

14ers.com liscence plate frames in store... Any designers out there???
To the High Crags!

Postby skier25 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:18 pm

I sort of like reading the heated topics. This site is incredibly mild when compared to other forums on the internet. Quite a close community, and not too many trolls. I agree with John Frolic: I don't want the site too moderated. Just enough to take care of the occasional jerk, offensive material, and moving of threads.
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.

Postby sburke16 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:16 pm

How about a gear review section which user could put in info? It seems like alot of threads consist of "has anybody used this stove?" or "are these sleeping bags any good?". I am a newbie to the sport with goals of doing some more challenging types climbs (Rainier and Pico). I will be buying alot of gear in the next few years.

Postby Eaglevu » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:53 pm

Bill -
I have a question, which will lead to my suggestion. (hey - that rhymes!)
What is the minimum number of participants required for an event that is to be posted on the 'Group Events Calendar' (GEC)?

I have noticed that when someone is looking for folks to join them on their little outing, they post a topic on the 'Climbing Connection' forum. To me, this does not seem like an appropriate means of soliciting weekend climbing buddies. These threads tend to get washed out and sent off into other directions as more and more users post replies. What if members could post their little impromptu trips on the GEC or other events page, so that the rest can show our interest in their destination in a more formal manner instead of just talking anout it.

That's it for me.
Keep up the GREAT efforts.
-Eaglevu
(Member of the "EVEREST IS TOO D_MN HIGH!" party.)

Postby KeithK » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:02 pm

One thing I'm curious about would be if there's a way to implement a "Reply All" button in Private Messaging. It's really cool that you can add more than one recipient to a message now, but there's no way to copy all of those people without selecting them one at a time.
Snow is dumb.™

PreviousNext