Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

HOW CAN I IMPROVE 14ERS.COM?

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Re: HOW CAN I IMPROVE 14ERS.COM?

Postby rferrier » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:59 am

Another thing that could be added to the route description pages would be Estimated time of the hike, some kind of Exposure rating, and something to do with the type of vehicle needed to get there (4x4, High Clearence, Passanger Car).

This website is truly amazing Bill! :D
“Men go back to the mountains, as they go back to sailing ships at sea, because in the mountains and on the sea they must face up.” ~Henry David Thoreau

Postby cbinkley » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:25 pm

Bill,

From a longtime lurker, if not longtime member, thanks for the fantastic site!

No improvements please, more nifty stuff will only distract more from things that *probably* should be doing.

Postby glad2Bme » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:27 pm

I would like to be able to add more info to the personal peak list (date, route, partner, misc comments ...) if that is possible. Maybe you can already and I'm just missing it!
I do like the clean look it has now to get an idea as to who I'm chatting with but links or an additional page would be cool.

Thanks for everything Bill and thanks to all who contribute a wealth of information! This is a GREAT site (even without improvements!)
~frank
Alpinists are just optimists with lousy short term memory

Postby rastro » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:48 pm

glad2Bme wrote:I would like to be able to add more info to the personal peak list (date, route, partner, misc comments ...)
~frank

I'll second this suggestion. It would interest me as to the date someone climbed a peak, and whether or not there was much snow on the peak on that date...although trip reports generally have been able to provide me with that information. Otherwise I think the site functions very well and is well designed. Also, regarding the moderator issue: less "police" or "government" is better, and I like the suggestion that someone made about simply moving threads or deleting them if they get offensive. Otherwise, I think arguments and debates can be interesting and sometimes productive up to a point, unless they turn into nasty personal attacks. Case in point: I made what I felt was a good suggestion about the rope in the hourglass, and although I felt it was unnecessary for certain posts to say it was "crazy", "hilarious", or "stupid". Those members should have the right to say such things. When the dust cleared, I finally realized that my idea was not the best based on what the rest of the forum had to offer.

Thanks Bill for wanting to make 14ers.com the best it can be. I can't speak for the rest of the forum community, but I'll try to do my part to maintain the integrity of the site.
Different eyes see different things
Different hearts beat on different strings...
Geddy Lee 1980

Postby Marty » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:16 pm

I do love this site too! I have one small suggestion...

Sometimes when the thread is very long and has many pages (Lost Dog on Torreys for example), I wish there were an easy way to access the middle pages of the thread ('cause sometimes there are just too many posts to read in 1 sitting...). The first few and last few show, but to get to the middle you have to go page by page, which can take a while. Would it be possible to set it up to scan 5 at a time or something like that?

Just a thought. Thanks!
Marty
There is no finish line.

Postby rtrujillo » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:03 pm

Bill,
Love the site. I view it 20 times daly wishing I was on a route. Keep up the good work. =D>
In time of trouble . . . He shall set me upon a rock.
- Psalms 27:5

Postby thunderinacircle » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:11 pm

I'd like to see more non-14er routes/trip reports. I realize that this is 14ers.com, but I think some lesser peak info would be great. I consider the information on route/peak pages to generally be of the highest quality and it would nice to have some of that for other peaks as well. Also, I know you have been doing it already, but continuing to add more non-standard routes would be nice too.
when the moon first rose tonight, my eyes were met with such a beautiful sight. a feeling deep inside so hard to explain, so familiar yet impossible to name. this is the place where dreams come true, a part of me and a part of you. this is where our spirits fly, on beams of light across the sky...and i'll meet you, in the valley of the full moon. as bright as the sun, in the middle of the afternoon.

Postby jeffs » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:49 pm

Bill - Great site! My wife holds you responsible for my hking/climbing obsession.. :D .. Add an “Awesome 14er Campsites” section, link it to the routes, allow the uploading of a GPS coordinate w/Photo and description. My 14er adventures start with a 10hr drive with a hope that I can find that "perfect" campsite close to trailhead or along the trail......
Hey, it's flat up here?!

Postby Brad » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:59 pm

covfrrider wrote:Hey Bill,

The site is really great. I have found a ton of great info here and enjoy the useful (and sometimes less than useful) banter.

Here's an idea: How about a section just like the trailhead status page for campgrounds/campsites for each range/mtn. Then people could update that as well. I know campground info is available other places, but with the number of people using 14ers.com, I think the info here would be more up to the minute.

Keep up the great work! =D>

+1; I would love to see a campground section. I have had to do much research off 14ers.com to find suitable places to camp prior to hiking and then logged back onto 14ers.com just to poll the members on their opinion of a particular camp location. It would be nice to be able to do all research on this site. Keep up the great work, it is appreciated.

Postby Floyd » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:05 pm

Bill,

I have to echo the previous sentiments... Great site, and the fact that you are so accessable and willing to hear suggestions just makes it that much better.

As for suggestions, I miss the ability to choose 2nd, 3rd, ... letters of usernames when trying to locate a user for PMs. Only being able to select the 1st really doesn't narrow it much with the number of users of this site.

And the second, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to negate duplicate forum posts. It doesn't seem that many people use the search function before starting a post. Maybe something like when a user submits a new forum post - it automatically searches the forum and suggests something like "Would you prefer to respond to one of these topics instead?" with a list of similar topics sharing keywords. If something like this is implemented, you may want to exclude any post with "Current" in the topic for posts on Current Conditions because past posts would pretty much be irrelevant in those cases.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Again, thanks for the effort in keeping this site 1st class.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:17 pm

GREAT STUFF - Keep it coming!

I'm making a list...
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby gb » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:30 pm

One REALLY nice thing about vbulletin (ex: tgr) vs phpbb is that you can put your mouse on a thread title, and the first couple of sentences show up. That makes it a lot easier to wade through all the threads. Maybe that's something that can be changed in user settings or something.

In the TR section, it might be nice to allow the user setting to go from date of climb, rather than date posted (as sometimes happens with summer climbs being posted in mid-winter)

Regarding a skiing forum or whatever, it takes some searching, but between tgr, this site, and hopefully Chris' site, the info is out there.

Overall, I'm pretty amazed at this site, actually- there's a lot of stuff on here that I don't use, like the climbing calendars, but it's cool that it's there. Thanks for all your hard work.

PreviousNext