Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

HOW CAN I IMPROVE 14ERS.COM?

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

Re: HOW CAN I IMPROVE 14ERS.COM?

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:38 am

Jon Frohlich wrote:
Rockymtnhigh69 wrote:Bill,

Add a couple more moderators. I have notice some threads deteriorating and really taking a turn for the worst and should be moderated or closed at times.. I will certainly volunteer to be a moderator if you'd like. Let me know.

Vince

I disagree. I think people here are already far too sensitive about some things on this site. Sure, sometimes a thread gets a little off course (see the 'A Different Man' thread) but it's rare. I don't want to see an overmoderated forum. Things are working fine as is in my opinion.

Jon,
You probably already have noticed that I usually have a hands-off approach to running the forum, but my thinking behind more moderators is mainly for moving threads to the appropriate location and stepping in when things get offensive or something. I certainly don't want to turn up the big-brother dial. I worry most about some offensive stuff getting added to the site and the two current moderators are unavailable.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:44 am

mtnview wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:
mtnview wrote:One feature that I think would be nice is the ability to upload a photo directly from my hard drive to a post.

You can do this over at an outdoor site called Club Tread. http://www.clubtread.com

Theirs is still not perfect as you have to click the photo and a second window shows the full size.

You can do this now in the new version of the forum. Just click the "Upload Attachment" tab under the posting area and you can select the image off of your computer. Keep in mind that there are some file size restrictions, so you may have to resize your image before uploading.

What size restrictions are in place Bill? kb size limit?

Image attachment restrictions:
3 per post
300kb max file size
1024x1024 max file dimensions

Postby Jon Frohlich » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:46 am

Bill, in that case I think it's a good idea. I guess from seeing what has happened to some other forums I've been a part of I get concerned when people start wanting more moderation. As far the site, I agree with some others, I don't see much that needs to be added. The site is great. A wider variety of routes would be nice but that's a matter of people having time to write the descriptions. I know where to find that info if I need it regardless so it's not really a problem.

Postby dcbates80911 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:04 am

Hey Bill,

Great sight. One thing I would see helpful and/or neat would be GPS information. I have seen on the "Route Report" pages a download file for TOPO and GPS information, but have never been able to open. Is this file specific to one type of software?

What I was thinking was having a link or something on the "Route Report" with a list of waypoints (Trailhead and Summit at the least). Additional waypoints for points of interest along any route, or areas of concern (like the spot on Holy Cross were people seem to make a wrong turn at treeline) as a warning.

Once again, great sight.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Postby gdthomas » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:04 am

:idea: How about background music? Imagine surfing 14ers.com while listening to "Stairway to Heaven". :idea:

Postby ajkagy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:42 am

I would love for there to be a seperate section on skiing...example, have more detailed route descriptions and most common lines skiied on the 14ers. I know some of the route descriptions have ski info on them right now, but the majority do not...just thought that would be a nice feature to have for us ski mountaineers :)
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:54 am

ajkagy wrote:I would love for there to be a seperate section on skiing...example, have more detailed route descriptions and most common lines skiied on the 14ers. I know some of the route descriptions have ski info on them right now, but the majority do not...just thought that would be a nice feature to have for us ski mountaineers :)

This is one that I've thought about for a while. I've skied almost 1/2 of the 14ers but never really felt compelled to put much ski info out there. Years ago, I think this was somewhat due to my desire not to flood the 14ers with more skiers. I know that sounds a bit selfish, but that may be part of it. Now that skiing 14ers has become much more popular, I don't feel that way anymore. Then, last year I think it was, I talked with Chris Davenport at the CFI Fiesta for the Peaks event and he mentioned he was going to create a 14er ski-descent forum with trip report areas. After that discussion, I was more convinced that I wouldn't bother adding a bunch of ski-specific route data to the 14ers.com guidebook and that I would wait to see what Chris came up with. Now that he has the forum up and running, I'd like to see how it grows. If it's successful, maybe I could just link to specific areas of his site from within the individual 14ers.com guidebook pages. This would keep me from having to post just my own ski descriptions and ultimately would provide much more beta.

Postby Couloirman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:14 am

is there any way that on the main forum page, right after you click forum where it lists all the different forums, instead of just seeing who the last post is from in the forum, can it show us what thread it is too?(i just said the word forum way too much...) thanks
Couloir than you are

Postby kfordyce » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:15 am

Consider adding "14ers by Difficulty" and "14ers by Range" as links on the right side of the peak list page. They are tremendously helpful lists, but are currently a not as accessible as they could be. This would particularly help noobs to the site. Aside from that, keep it simple - great site!

Postby ontopoftheworld » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:17 am

Many of my ideas have already been covered, but here were my thoughts/suggestions:

1) I don't like the idea of having a heavily moderated forum, and I don't think Bill does either. Like Bill alluded to, if it's not offensive, leave it alone.
2) Automatically going to the last page of a thread instead of the first. I didn't realize that was a user setting. Awesome!
3) Somebody mentioned making it easier to add images to a post which was greatly improved with the latest forum software. However, can you do the same in a PM? It seems that the last time I tried to add an image to a PM, it wouldn't let me do it. There is an 'add file' (just like in the forum), but when I tried to add a jpg, it said that the jpg extension was not allowed.
4) KML files. Personally, I am much more able to picture a route when I see it overlaid on Google Earth. Obviously, it can't be the only tool you use for planning, but it helps complete the picture. If it would be possible to add KML files (either as user uploads or in the route descriptions), I think that would be useful for planning a trip.

Honestly, I'm just being nit-picky. I think this site is great and would be happy if nothing changed at all. Thanks once again for all of your hard work!

Postby ontopoftheworld » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:21 am

kfordyce wrote:Consider adding "14ers by Difficulty" and "14ers by Range" as links on the right side of the peak list page. They are tremendously helpful lists, but are currently a not as accessible as they could be. This would particularly help noobs to the site. Aside from that, keep it simple - great site!

You could do this yourself by adding these pages as custom links in the Display Settings on the home page. Then they would show up under the 'Links' dropdown. I believe this is the exact reason Bill added the custom links... so that everyone could have their favorite links available without cluttering the homepage with everything.

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:22 am

Bill

As everybody agrees FANTASTIC SITE!

My only suggestion would be to similar to your lists for "route difficulty" and "crowds", make a simple grouping list regarding trailhead access. I.e. group into something like "4x4 only", "Pickup / higher clearance 2wd", "Passenger cars".
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

PreviousNext