Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Heading up the Mountain at 11:30

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Postby vr64ever » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:51 am

DID SOMEONE SAY HAM, I would like some please!!

Re: i agree

Postby joe4186 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:58 am

A serious question: do you think somebody should have tried to stop you from doing this hike?

why? i thought that we were well prepared, we started at 2 AM. we were watching the weather the whole time. when we got back to the lake, his buddy had said that he tried to convince him not to go up w/ walkie talkies.
http://friendsofcaic.org/

Go Big or Go Home

"anything worth doing, its worth doing right"

Postby Geof3 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:29 pm

With all the utter stupidity of most people "climbing" the 14er's I'm still amazed that not more people die or need rescue. Especially on the tougher peaks like Long's, The Crestone's etc... Some people have dumb luck. It's those of us that know the game and take the precautions that seem to get nailed... Murphy's Law? Or is it simply fate... I don't know.
Blue Steel

Re: Heading up the Mountain at 11:30

Postby grizz » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:35 pm

joe4186 wrote:ok, so, i'm really confused by this....

today, hiked carson/challenger, on the way down around 11:30 ran into a guy on his way up to challenger. problem is- he was just above willow lake and struggling. we asked him how he was doing, couldn't understand him, he asked where the trail was, i tried to pull out bill's route description and show him where the trail was, this was after telling him that it was a little late to be heading up the mountain, but he said that he had "instructions", he just didn't want to pull them out. after the encounter, we watched him go up another 20 or so yards and sit down and take a break...

there was clearly clouds hanging on kit carson, and there were thunderheads all around and building. on the way out of crestone, lightning struck in the field to our left about 200-300 yards away, and it was raining heavily.

what is going on???

It's a free country.

Sounds like you did the right thing. Not much else you can do unless you break the law and hog tie him.
Colorado Native

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:10 pm

this is what happens when you make a bad judgement in the wilderness :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1DNHOdsYLA

Postby ColoradoGuy » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:32 am

Your story is very common. I usually have at least one similar kind of run-in with a hiker as I'm coming down most 14ers.
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org

Previous