Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How was your weekend 8/24-8/26?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

weekend 8/24-8/26

Postby denvergator » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:36 am

Well, after hiking 5 14ers in 5 weeks, I decided to take this past weekend off and work on my house. I was a little burned out and figured I needed a break. But after seeing all these great pictures, I kind of wish I had gone hiking....

Thanks for re-energizing me! I've got some upcoming hikes (not 14ers) in the next few weeks so I'll be glad to be out in the mountains again!

I will be ready for more 14ers next season-I think I will try to space them out a little more so I don't get burned out....

Postby KeithK » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:46 am

Saturday was an enthralling and inspiring day on Pikes Peak! Except I chose to hike all the way to the top, only to find out I could have worn cotton and just ridden the train! What was I thinking???

:D Was a beautiful day, though, with great hiking partners. It was fun to hike with Slow Moving Fun Seeker and his group, too.
Snow is dumb.™

Postby cftbq » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:48 am

Did Meeker & Longs via the Loft on Sunday. Very nice weather, in contrast to what folks have been reporting elsewhere.
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.

Postby elims » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:50 am

Fabulous weekend - did Pike's Peak with KeithK and GreenhouseGuy - that was #5 in 15 days.

Postby Papillon » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:49 pm

Spent about 9 hours on the Divide in RMNP hitting multiple peaks but then underperformed in the PBR department later that night due to fatigue.

But I'll get a shot at redemption next Monday after I finish 2 nights in the Mummy Range.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby paully » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:24 pm

Climbed Massive on Friday. I slept at the trailhead, where it dumped buckets of rain ALL NIGHT!!! At 6:00 AM, it was still pouring. I made a mad dash for the jeep in nothing but my sleepwear (slept under the 'stars' with nothing but a giant tarp to keep me dry. Somehow, the rain quit at about 6:30, it was clear by 6:45, and I was on the trail before 7:00. I took the North Ridge route from Windsor Lake trailhead. Highlights of the day:

Had my new hiking hat blown right off my head up on the ridge. I had no chance of saving it; it didn't even touch the ground before going over the east side of the ridge.

First hike through snow of the season. Was plodding through anywhere from 2 - 4 inches of new snow for the entire day.

Was on the final push between North Massive and Massive when I found myself off-route a bit, boulder hopping on the West side of the connecting ridge. As I made a move around a giant block, I put the slightest bit of weight on it for balance (500 lbs? maybe bigger?) and it started to come loose. The incident is all a blur now, but I believe that the block rolled over the top of the fingers on my left hand as I used it to throw myself clear. I took a look at my damaged hand and saw that the upper joint of my ring finger was dislocated backward. Without thinking about it, I grabbed it and gently reset it with an audible 'pop'. Sucker's still swollen.

Made the summit, got down in one piece, and saw NOT A SOUL on the mountain for the entire day. I tried to spot climbers on the standard route once I was on top, but there was NOBODY!!! I couldn't believe it. I guess I was the only idiot on the mountain that day.

Postby mtnmike » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:35 pm

Spent 15 hours Saturday climbing Snowmass...mmmmm. Excellent climb! (trip report coming soon...)
mtnMike
http://www.fourteeners.org

"Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." - Ed Viesturs

Postby nsevalt » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:59 pm

Drove to the Longs Peak TH at midnight on Thursday...realized there was no way I was hiking in the rain/lightning...drove home while watching the schlacking the front range got from the storm that was previously over Estes, then returned the next night to summit Longs by sunrise on saturday (fiddlinclimbr and I were apparently on the summit at the same time).

fantastic weekend!

Postby El Scooter » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:31 pm

We climbed the Kelso Ridge on Sunday. This was my second time up this ridge and I think this has to be one of the best climbs close to Denver.

It snowed a little on us while we were on top.

Overall though, the weather was really nice up there on Sunday.

Postby gurlyclimber » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:47 pm

cftbq wrote:Did Meeker & Longs via the Loft on Sunday. Very nice weather, in contrast to what folks have been reporting elsewhere.

What time did you get down? We were climbing the N. Butt on Pagoda and watched the clouds to the North threaten from about 12:00 on. As we were doing the final pitches, lightning finally started striking but again, still to the North. Then it snowed. Then on the descent more clouds rolled in from the South and dropped little rain on us. It was weird how it seemed like big areas around us were getting hit while we stayed in the sun for the most part (while we were climbing). Still seeing the lightning across the way made us simu-climb so fast that we were both out of breath. Nothing like hearing thunder when you're 3/4 way up the route. Finish or possibily be finished. :-)
There are some trips you never fully come back from.

Postby Spam » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:53 pm

I have to live vicariously through all of you.

Saturday I cleaned out my garage which wasn't bad, however, my wife made a comment on what a gear hound I am. I finished that off by mowing the lawn. I have a hill on my front lawn so i probably did gain about 12 feet of elevation on saturday.

Sunday i had my fantasy football draft!
"Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory." -- Ed Viesturs

Postby MikeyC » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:02 pm

nsevalt wrote:Drove to the Longs Peak TH at midnight on Thursday...realized there was no way I was hiking in the rain/lightning...drove home while watching the schlacking the front range got from the storm that was previously over Estes, then returned the next night to summit Longs by sunrise on saturday (fiddlinclimbr and I were apparently on the summit at the same time).

fantastic weekend!

I was up there with you guys too! I arrived at the summit at about 6:00!

PreviousNext