Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How was your weekend 8/24-8/26?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

How was your weekend 8/24-8/26?

Postby summitrunner » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:56 pm

Went to Denver for the first cross country race of the year this morning, my team ran well for just a scrimmage.

You know that snow I was talking about yesterday? Gone! I was running up Straight Creek Trail (the "road" next to I-70 going to the tunnel on the Dillon side) sans shirt this afternoon around 1:00 PM and it was beautiful. I even waded through Straight Creek and ran up a new trail that I have never been on. The Creek was brisk, but it felt good to give the legs a break. I ended up running about 10 miles, I even sat down to let my feet dry off and listened to the creek and the birds both river crossings.

I watched the sun set over the Gore Range and Buffalo Mountain tonight. Now I am heading to Breck for a birthday party.

What a glorious day! I am hoping for an even better day tomorrow. One more day of summer for me!

How did everyone do this weekend? Please share your trip high-lights because it couldn't get much better in CO than it did today!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE

Postby cw » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:00 pm

The wind was hellacious in the Mosquitos...no kite flying at Kite Lake today unless you wanted to see your kite fly far, far away.
CW

"Put your mind to it, and your body will follow..."

Postby michaelverdone » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:01 pm

My friends and I climbed Humboldt last night. Made it to the summit around 230am, watched some lightning in the distance, drove home and slept all day. Good times.

Postby JasonF » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:10 pm

Not a cloud in the sky over MHC although the sub-hurricane force winds likely had something to do with that. Successful day - see my trip report.
solvitur ambulando - it has been solved
"From the rising of the sun to the going down of the same, the name of the Lord shall be praised." Ps. 113:3
"For the things which are seen are temporary but the things which are not seen are eternal." 2Cor 4:18

Postby fiddlinclimber » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:23 pm

Sunrise from the summit of Longs Peak on 8/25:

Torrey's

Postby Greg777 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:25 pm

Climbed Torrey's Friday and the wund gusts made me do stutter steps and that is saying a lot seeing I'm 245lbs. Got to the summit and the wind slowed a bit but the cool thing was seeing the dusting of snow all around the state. Torrey's had drifts in some places a foot deep.
Love the thought of it being in the 30 degree range and 90'ish in Denver.
All in all a great weekend.
Daydream with deadlines
SKYPE Address = sgregs777

Postby Greg777 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:26 pm

fiddlinclimber GREAT PICTURES!!!
Daydream with deadlines
SKYPE Address = sgregs777

Postby summitrunner » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:38 am

Those pictures are amazing!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE

nice summits

Postby PKR » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:38 am

I got to do my first two peaks in the Sangre de Cristo Range.
WOW!!!
Friday we had planned to do the north buttress of Crestone Pk. and then the traverse to the needle but the wind, rain and lightening at 4:00am delayed our start. After things cleared a bit (rain and lightening but not the wind) we decided to go for Crestone’s northwest couloir. The approach was very windy; so much so that one burst knocked me down. Once in the couloir things calmed and we had a nice summit. Wow that rock is something else. I loved it. I can’t wait until I can return for another climb.

Saturday (windy again) I got to take a newbi up Humboldt. Congrats on your first 14er Rick! I hope we get to do many more….

P.S.

Postby PKR » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:03 am

P.S. Thanks everyone who posted beta on the buttress and traverse routes. You and 14ers.com ROCK!!!

Postby iceman » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:44 pm

I spent Saturday goofing around in Grand Junction and Sunday doing the brakes on our Expedition with my son. Total $ savings with breakfast, a couple Monsters (son’s favorite drink), parts and turning of the rotors $320.00 under what Big O wanted to charge me. Sounds like somebody deserves a weekend in the woods and a new pair of crampons.

Postby HarryQuach » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:15 pm

Climbed N. Maroon Peak in perfect weather.

Next