Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Culebra bear

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Culebra bear

Postby SOD » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:51 am

So I'm hiking up Culebra on Aug. 10th. I've already passed the large cairn, and I've just started hiking up toward the false summit. My friend looks over and spots a BEAR. It looks like it is going to head back down into the valley between Culebra and Red, but when we get to a good vantage point, the bear actually was climbing up toward the false summit. It finally found whatever it was looking for just below the top of the false summit. This is the first time I've ever seen a bear in Colorado, and it was very weird considering we were so high up. I always thought bears would hang out in the trees, but I guess not. Has anybody else come across a bear this high up. The false summit is what, 13600-13700?
Wish I could attach the picture, but I only have it saved on my desktop.[/img]
So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Postby ccunnin » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:56 am

Can't wait to see this bear. I've never seen one in the wild out here in Colorado either.
He who controls the spice, controls the universe.

Postby Alpine » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:24 am

I have seen a handful of bears in Colorado backcountry. They have all been below treeline, but while it is a little unusual it does not surprise me too much that you saw one up higher. They are starting to gear up for winter right now and searching high and low for any food supply. Some parts of the state are pretty light on bear food this year.

Reminds me of a story from Beulers' Roof of the Rockies, where some early survey party in the 1800's (Hayden's?) saw a grizzly on top of Uncompaghre (I think it was Uncom. anyway).

Postby KansasHiker » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:32 am

My brother and I hiked Culebra last summer and arrrived at the summit about 15 minutes after the first group of hikers for the day. They said that as they approached the summit, suddenly a mama bear and her cub appeared ON THE SUMMIT but then quickly took off down the other side. Don't think I would want to be playing "King of the Mountain" with her.

Postby vr64ever » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:43 am

Watching Planet Earth they actually showed bears on scree field looking for moths of all things for food. I never knew they would venture above treeline untill I saw that show.

Postby cheeseburglar » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:51 am

I saw a momma bear and two cubs at about 13,500 on Culebra. Apparently they feed on grubs and moths that they find in talus fields at high elevations. I've heard this is common behavior for them, but they aren't frequently seen doing this near the standard routes because they have been scared off.

Postby SOD » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:53 am

Yeah, he hung out there for quite awhile, moving all the rocks around with his paws. Assuming he was going for pica or marmonts. Didn't see him chomping on anything though.

Postby Papillon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:23 am

I met a guy on Tabeguache the weekend of the 10th who told me he saw a bear just below the summit on Culebra a few weeks prior. Evidently this thing has set up shop.

If the owners could maybe rouse a herd of bighorn sheep, some elk and moose up there also, I might consider the $100 price tag.

Another thing people might not realize about bears is they prefer hiking trails to bush-whacking.

I also remember reading somewhere that grizzly evidence was found on Uncompahgre that indicated the bears had been up there 100 or so years ago.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby JB Allen » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:42 pm

I would love to see the bear photo.

Hey SOD, could you send the photo to someone who knows how to post it here???
JB Allen...

Postby SOD » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:53 pm

OK, I've sent the pictures to Jared.
Hope he gets them up soon!!!

Wow

Postby byproxy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:14 pm

Thanks a lot for the pics. Really cool.

I realize they are dangerous to humans, and hiking alone I am generally pretty wary about encounters.

But bears sure are great to look at. How can something be so cute and so formidable at one time?
Detroit, MI

Postby SmithClimber » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:22 pm

I was on Culebra about this time last year. I saw 7 bears above treeline. My favorite was the Mama Bear and her two cubs that tried to take the summit away from me.

I think I could have taken her in a best of 3 contest.

Next