Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

More congrats are in order

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

More congrats are in order

Postby mtgirl » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:30 am

For those interested, I believe more congratulations are in order today....

thebeav7 completed the Leadville 100 this weekend. Very few people actually finish this race in their first attempt. And, this year only had a 35% completion rate.

Chris Gerber, finished the Pikes Peak Ascent on Saturday, then finished the Pikes Peak Marathon on Sunday.

Congrats guys and enjoy that much deserved recup time ! :)
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby Hacksaw » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:51 am

Wow! :D :D
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Postby thebeave7 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:52 am

Thanks Vicki, I'm extremely happy to have finished, there was a lot of pain, quite a bit of suffering. But even more excitement when I crossed the finish line(almost 29h later). Definitely the most trying experience ever, but worthwhile. I plan on writing a small trip report sometime in the next few days(as I'll be resting and doing nothing else).
Additional congrats to Jason Halladay, who finished Leadville in just under 28h, his 2nd 100mile race this year.
Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:53 am

My brother finished the Leadville 100 last year, he was seeing little birdies fly around his head for days, but he finished.

Postby Andy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:57 am

thebeave7 wrote:Thanks Vicki, I'm extremely happy to have finished, there was a lot of pain, quite a bit of suffering. But even more excitement when I crossed the finish line(almost 29h later). Definitely the most trying experience ever, but worthwhile. I plan on writing a small trip report sometime in the next few days(as I'll be resting and doing nothing else).
Additional congrats to Jason Halladay, who finished Leadville in just under 28h, his 2nd 100mile race this year.
Eric

Did Michael and Alan (sp?) finish?
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

Postby mtgirl » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:07 am

Eric -

As you take time this week to recuperate, keep this quote in mind:

PAIN IS MERELY WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY

It's come to my mind on more than one occasion ! I've always said that distance running is 1/2 physical and 1/2 mental - and you are certainly strong in both areas.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby thebeave7 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:09 am

Unfortunately only 2 of the 6 in our group finished. Michael partially tore his hamstring, Alan made mile 74 before having to bow out with back and foot problems. Peter Sanders of Boulder was the only other finisher of our group of 6(29:21).
Vicki, I must have had a lot of weakness going into Leadville :wink: And I would agree, for those of us who aren't top tier ultra runners, these races are just as much of a mental test as a physical one.
Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby ThinAir » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:14 am

Big time congrats to you guys. =D> I was on a crew for my brother and found the whole experience....beyond description. I paced him from Fish Hatchery to Mayqueen, and then again on the final push in to Leadville. Even attempting this race is an endeavor worthy of admiration, finishing it(which he did w about 32 min to spare) is a MAJOR achievment of mind, body and spirit. Way to go to all you finishers, and to those who might not have finished, your still bad ass in my book. :wink:

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:01 pm

Thanks mtgirl!!!

Hats off to all the other Pikes Peakers and Leadvillers too... there a number from 14ers.com! Nice job Jason and Eric! (And saying your 2nd 100 of the year almost doesn't do it justice Jason, since the first was Hardrock!)

Now I must limp over to the fridge for another cold beer...

Postby Jason Halladay » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:27 am

Fantastic time for your first Leadville outing, Eric! It was awesome to meet you at the awards ceremony afterwards too. Thanks for introducing yourself.

And Chris, the double at Pikes Peak!? Well done! I think I'd find it terribly difficult to get up Sunday morning to go back up the peak. :)

Congrats all around to anyone out there pushing themselves!