Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Doe a deer...well you know the rest.

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Doe a deer...well you know the rest.

Postby Strongbow72 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:47 am

Mt. Sneffles, August 2, 2007.

It had been a long day of hiking and climbing Mt. Sneffles for 19 brave souls from Ohio. Some of us took the trail from Yankee Boy Basin up the standard route while a few of us went up to Blue Lakes Pass and up the North Ridge. It was an awesome day with 1st summits for several new guys. The storms started to roll in so it was obviously time to descend. For some the descent was tougher than the climb itself, but all made it down, one with a few bumps and bruises, but all in all it was an amazing day with unexplainable views, good conversation, and met several cool people along the way. You know, I can't think of a hike where I didn't meet some very cool people. Just goes to show how great hikers and climbers are, no matter where they are from.

To make a long story short, we arrive back to our two 15 passenger vans which were parked about 2 miles down from the trail head. (Next year we are jacking those babies up and some how making them 4X4's!!) The good conversation continued in the vans as we drove down the narrow dirt road towards Ouray. As most of you know this is a road where one side is a wall and the other is a cliff. Makes for an interesting ride in those vans. As we crept down the road and turned a narrow corner we saw a huge doe standing in the middle of the road. Now all of us have seen plenty of deer, no big deal, so just get out of our way so we can get to the True Grit Cafe for a good steak dinner! But this doe just stood there, not paying any attention to us, and we're thinking, "What’s up with this doe? Should we honk the horn until it runs away, or just keep driving and eventually she will take off?" As we contemplated the most humane way to get the doe out of our way the unthinkable happened. This doe, for no apparent reason leaps about 5 feet in the air, makes a sudden turn, and bolts for the hanging cliff side of the road and was gone in a matter of seconds. We were all wondering what the heck just happened, I mean none of us made a sound, or any movement, so why all of a sudden did this doe take off like that? Well, a few seconds later we knew. This incredibly large mountain lion comes flying down the hillside and lands with all fours right in front of us, gives us a look, and than darts down after the doe. "Holy Crap!!” the entire van shouts as we all scrambled for a closer look. I mean this mountain lion had the biggest and thickest tail I have ever seen. It was obviously pissed at us for stumbling upon his prey and interfering with his catch, taht's why we got the look we got. We drove as close as we could to the cliff edge to see if the mountain lion had made its catch, but we didn't see a thing, and although we were hoping for a National Geographic moment, we were satisfied with what we saw anyway. Unfortunately none of us wanted to take a picture of a doe so no cameras were out at the time. It was just one of those “had to be there” moments, and I am glad we were there!

Now this happened not far from where we saw some campers. So all I have to say is be careful out there and if you're camping with your dog, keep him/her on a short leash.

Next year we will be in Estes Park for Longs Peak, and maybe a few others (Torreys, etc). Can’t wait to get back…I am going through withdraw!!

Stay safe out there...

Postby jdsiro » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:55 am

That's awesome!!
"Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint." ~Isaiah 40:30-31 (ESV)

Postby JHopper » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:57 am

:YY

Postby cblsttrotwd » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:06 am

That is one of the best stories I have ever heard. I second the
:YY :YY

Re: Doe a deer...well you know the rest.

Postby gdthomas » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:15 am

Strongbow72 wrote:...
Next year we will be in Estes Park for Longs Peak, and maybe a few others (Torreys, etc). Can’t wait to get back…I am going through withdraw!!

Stay safe out there...

Most people spend their entire lives out here and never see a mountain lion. When did you plan on being in Estes Park? :)

Postby JQDivide » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:15 am

“had to be there” moments

You have to be out there to have 'em.
Nice.
Have you seen God in His splendors, heard the text that nature renders? (You'll never hear it in the family pew).
The simple things, the true things, the silent men who do things -- Then listen to the Wild -- it's calling you.
R.W.Service

Postby michaelverdone » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:34 am

Unbelievable story! I wish I'd been there.

Postby Kanzaclimber » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:41 am

I am so jealous....that's a once in a lifetime story!! I am sure that totally rocked seeing that action!
"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching." - Jack Handy

Postby mac266 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:15 pm

I've only seen one mountain lion my entire life (not counting the zoo), and my story pales in comparison.
MAC

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of readiness to die." -Chesterton

Re: Doe a deer...well you know the rest.

Postby Eric Thomas » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:22 am

gdthomas wrote:
Strongbow72 wrote:...

Stay safe out there...

Most people spend their entire lives out here and never see a mountain lion. When did you plan on being in Estes Park? :)

I was driving the van when this happened (which was an adventure in itsself on that road) and I still can't believe how cool that was. One of our guys claimed to see a mountain lion last year and we all gave him the "yeah, right" treatment. I'm not doubting him any more!

I haven't scheduled the dates or selected our lodging accomodations for next year's trip , but it will be in the typical time frame for hiking Longs - late July/early August.

Postby iceman » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:47 am

I came out to Colorado and stayed for 10 years and have yet to see a Cougar in the wild. We did hear the screams of a Cougar just as we were going to sleep while camping on the flat tops. That made for a great nights sleep :shock:

Postby summit co kc » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:43 pm

my frriends and i saw a mt lion as well this summer. we were glad to be in the truck. we almost ran it over driving from summit co going to climb ellingwood. those cats are big we all couldnt get over the size. about a hundred yards from where we saw it was a deer. we felt we saved that deer.