Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Stymied by Longs

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Postby MtnHub » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:44 pm

I'm 5 for 5, the last time being last month. As I don't sleep well on the ground (don't sleep at all really without a bed), I would much prefer getting up around 3:00 am and hiking light. I'm fresh and ready to start hiking by 4:00 or so and the 6 mile hike up to the Keyhole isn't really bad at all. But everyone is different. I just prefer to hit the hay early the night before after a refreshing shower and sleep 5-6 hours in a real bed.

I will say, however, that the last few years I've been hitting Longs, I've had to start earlier because the storms have seemed to be coming in earlier than they used to it seems.

Postby Nlneff » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:09 pm

I'm one for one, but I'm trying again this september with friends, and they insist on not starting earlier then 4am so I may soon be 1 for 2. When I did it, I started at 2am and just slogged through.

Starting early is key. My knees are bad and no matter how long the day is I prefer to hike in and out in one day with light gear.

I wouldn't recommend going earlier then 2am though, since that can put you at the keyhole in darkness, and from a beginner's perspective I wouldn't do that. At my pace, 2am was timed just right.

Postby Two Headed Boy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:24 pm

Don't feel bad. I got lucky with that peak but a lot do not.

My buddy just sent me some pictures of a failed attempt up the Diamond, he bivyed on bivy ledge and was unable to make it for various reasons.

Here are some pictures of the failure.
He is not a failure by the way. I was kidding, maybe hoping he reads this. Not many can say they bivyed on the diamond.

Postby Skip Perkins » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:29 pm

Many of my students don't care that I climbed Long's but they want to know if I have ever slept overnight on a mountain "in one of those hammock thingies."
Great pictures of the Diamond!!

I am 1for1 on Long's and that was 20 years ago. 12 hours of joy!!

Postby strat1080 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:33 am

I'm 1 for 1 on Longs. I climbed it for the first time last Friday. The week leading up to a climb I check the weather report everyday. If it looks like dicey, espeically for a peak like Longs, I change my plans. Preparation is the key.
Quit whining and move your %$# up that mountain.

Postby rlynn » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:39 am

1 for 1. I climbed it with 4 others about two years ago and camped overnight at the Boulderfield. It started hailing on us for about 10 minutes after we descended past the Boulderfield, and we were lucky to have such nice weather most of the time. My feet were so torn up after getting back to the TH that I can't imagine doing it all in one day. That'd be one heck of a trek.
-Ryan

Postby 1moremile » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:19 am

I'm one for one with Longs: having hiked it as a season opener last year. We'd planned to summit Longs in August, but moved that up to the end of June because of early dry conditions. We'd stopped by the TH (as a lark) on our way home from I-forget-what and ended up hiking a couple miles up, returned the following Saturday --after doing route research-- and did a reconn hike to the keyhole (well, maybe 30 yards beyond, but essentially the keyhole). Decided to bump up our summit attempt to the following Saturday and got er done. Then we filled the original Longs spot with a trip up Massive.

I'm not thinking I'm gonna attempt to summit Longs again, though: too many other places yet to discover.

A week ago I turned around about a half mile from Paiute's apex. That's the first time I ever turned around before summiting (14ers, 13ers, 12ers or whatever-ers). I don't mind telling you I actually sat on a rock and wept after deciding I could not summit without risking injury to my rehabbing foot. But then, I'm menopausal so I'm allowed to weep over silly stuff. :roll:

Postby runningstix » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:08 pm

I am 1 for 1 on Longs Peak after a successful summit sunday 8/26/07!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" Steve Prefontaine

Postby Flatland Biker » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:19 pm

I am one for one, but went in August on a Saturday along with 200 of my closest friends. Watch weather reports and start early. August 11th, 2007 was a perfect day! I'll never forget preparing for Longs and attaining my goal!
"Heaven is only a heartbeat away"

Postby Inky6900 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:41 pm

I 've had a good rate on Longs 8 for 10. Other peaks have been a different story...

Lincoln - 4 tries to summit
Kit Carson - 4 tries to summit
Lindsey - 3 tries to summit
Snowmass - 0 for 3 so far
Little Bear - 0 for 3 so far
Mt Wilson - 0 for 2 so far
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.

Postby quiznberry » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:44 pm

CRAIGO wrote:I'm 2 for 4. Sometimes you just luck out on the weather. By the way, the first time I hiked Longs, there were only 10 people on the trail all day!!! (16 years ago)

I'm 5 for 7, but they were all 15 or more years ago when there were far less people. Once it was too windy and cold at the keyhole and once my knee wasn't feeling up to it. The other times it was awesome. Usually always hike during the week.

I am just getting back into doing fourteeners and did Bierstadt on the 15th. Gonna do Grays and Torreys on Sept 15.

Postby native_mntguy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:17 pm

I'm 1 for 1 on longs. I started extremely early and did the whole thing in the dark which made the weather almost a non issue. Of course route finding is more difficult. ANother plus is being down the trough before the masses arrive!

I must admit I've been lucky with weather...out of all my 14er attempts (including combos) I've only turned around after the 1st summit of combos due to weather. 25/28 is pretty good.
The best things in life are those that are the hardest to obtain.

PreviousNext