Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Stymied by Longs

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
CG_old

Postby CG_old » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:16 am

I agree with Eric... I'd much rather do Longs in a day vs hauling all that crap up to the Boulderfield to get a marginal night's sleep and hike the next day on tired legs and a tired mind.

I've done it many times both ways and prefer a one-day push. Everyone is different though, so go with what works best for you.

Postby shanrickv » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:29 am

I'm 2 for 3 with my 2nd summit yesterday on what was probably one of my more spectacular days in the mountains. My best friend and climbing partner summited with me and our group of 5 and it was his 14th time on top! I absolutely love Longs. That being said, it is not a mountain to mess with and can be incredibly dangerous in the wrong situations. Train hard, go prepared and love the summit when you get there and you will get there, just give it time.
As for 1 day vs. 2 days, I have seen it both ways and think that it is entirely dependent on the individual. If you are in great shape, can get a good nights sleep and are willing to suffer the last 6 miles, I like to do it in a day.
Climb On!
Patrick

Postby mtgirl » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:34 am

In all fairness.....I had more objectives than just summitting Longs. I spent two nights in the Boulderfield.....summitted Longs, Mount Lady Washington, and also did the hike into Chasm Lake on my way out. I've never been in the area and wanted to see as much as I could on one trip. I'm glad I did - it was gorgeous !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby CRSpeedy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:42 am

I just climbed Longs for the first time yesterday (Sunday) and had an awesome day on the mountain, though it had to have been the hardest thing I have ever done.

As a beginner, I did not want to take any chances with storms, so I opted for a very early start to lower the odds.

My friend and I got off work Saturday evening, drove up and reached the TH around 11:00pm, packed all of our gear, stretched, and signed the register at 12:00am. After a spectacular hike under the stars and meteor shower, we reached the keyhole in time to take a long break and watch a beautiful sunrise before starting on the tough side. As beginners, we did not want to try the ledges, trough, narrows, or homestretch in the dark. The break, however, recharged us and with a second wind, we reached the summit around 7:45am.

Personally, I would much rather do the hike in one long day, versus hauling all of the gear to the boulder field. I cannot even begin to imagine carrying anymore weight for those long 5 miles--but many props to those who do. Even worse, however, is the depressing feeling I would get while hiking down through the trough knowing that once I finally reach the boulderfield, I'll have to pack up my sleeping bag, tent, and gear and carry a 30+ lb pack on my back for the longest 5 miles of my life.

How you guys do it is beyond me. It's incredibly humbling to see anyone carrying a huge pack up to the boulder field, or to see someone running through the boulder field like it's a paved highway. Absolutely amazing.

Postby roozers42 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:46 am

I'm 2 for 2 on Longs but the weather was very good on both days. I did both as a day-hike and wouldn't even consider camping int he boulderfield unless the weather was supposed to be perfect. The is not the place I'd want to be in an electrical storm and they can happen at any time in the summer.
Marmot Picture taken by David Worthington, 7/3/06

Postby thebeave7 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:47 am

mtgirl wrote:In all fairness.....I had more objectives than just summitting Longs. I spent two nights in the Boulderfield.....summitted Longs, Mount Lady Washington, and also did the hike into Chasm Lake on my way out. I've never been in the area and wanted to see as much as I could on one trip. I'm glad I did - it was gorgeous !

I don't disagree that for many, the overnight is the way to go, just not for me. :wink:
Vicki, you should try the one day push "Radical Slam", that'll take you through the entire Longs Peak area.
(Meeker/Longs/Pagoda/Storm/Lady Washington/Battle/Estes Cone/50 pushups)
Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Kiefer

Postby Kiefer » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:59 am

Summited Long's 5 times, been turned back at the Boulderfield another 4-6 times and have been stopped at treeline more times than I can remember in all seasons.
That's the story with lone peaks like Long's. They create their own weather more frequently than ridges/basins of multiple high peaks. Still a kick-ass place to be though!

camping in the boulderfield

Postby White Light » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:07 am

I have heard they are going to start limiting the number of campers allowed in the boulderfield, is that true? Or do they already do this?

Postby mtgirl » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:31 am

thebeave7 wrote:I don't disagree that for many, the overnight is the way to go, just not for me. :wink:
Vicki, you should try the one day push "Radical Slam", that'll take you through the entire Longs Peak area.
(Meeker/Longs/Pagoda/Storm/Lady Washington/Battle/Estes Cone/50 pushups)
Eric

Eric.....sounds like we have the same warped idea of what constitutes FUN ! :D
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Re: camping in the boulderfield

Postby mtgirl » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:33 am

White Light wrote:I have heard they are going to start limiting the number of campers allowed in the boulderfield, is that true? Or do they already do this?

There are only 8-9 campsites at the Boulderfield and they reserve quickly. Call the RMNP Backcountry Office if you are interested in reserving space. 970-586-1242. A permit costs $20.

Fast and Light on Longs

Postby rangerdrew » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:41 am

It took me 5 tries to kill Longs Peak. The first time I was hampered by my own inexperience and three were weather. The time I made the summit I went fast and light by the Keyhole Route in five hours. Brutal, but worth it.
I don't commute by bicycle everyday out of goodwill for the environment. Although, it is a positive externality. ~rangerdrew

Re: Stymied by Longs

Postby gdthomas » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:48 am

White Light wrote:I recently attempted longs for the third time. Twice I reached the keyhole and had to turn back due to snow/rain. And this most recent time I couldn't even get going due to flash floods.

How many tries has it taken others to summit Longs?

I'm just frustrated because it is a lot of work to just reach the key hole, and the peak just looms there over my head everyday defying me to try again.

The key for you is to not force a summit attempt out of frustration. That's when the mountain wins and you lose. Keep trying. Long's isn't such a radical mountain that it will never allow you to climb it.

PreviousNext