Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Stymied by Longs

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Stymied by Longs

Postby White Light » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:07 pm

I recently attempted longs for the third time. Twice I reached the keyhole and had to turn back due to snow/rain. And this most recent time I couldn't even get going due to flash floods.

How many tries has it taken others to summit Longs?

I'm just frustrated because it is a lot of work to just reach the key hole, and the peak just looms there over my head everyday defying me to try again.

Postby Lhotse » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:13 pm

Longs has a history with many people. I've summited 6 times, but have had to turn around multiple times in multiple seasons for several different reasons. Dont be discouraged, it happens to everyone at some point
"Tommorrow Is Promised to No One" ..Walter Payton...Brian Rush

Postby Aubrey » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:22 pm

I'm 4 for 4. But while I start early to increase my odds, I credit luck to my 100 percent success rate on that mountain.

That said, 2 of those 4 times, we got rained on on the way up, and one time we got hailed on on the way down.

Like Lhotse says, don't be discouraged. Keep on keepin' on.

And just know that you are smart for turning around when conditions do not warrant upward progress.

Definitely give it more tries. It's worth it.

Postby summitrunner » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:22 pm

It took me two times, but the first time wasn't due to weather for me, just fear. I got over it and got up there. I wish you luck in getting up there, it will be well worth it!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE

Postby Hohnerm » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:03 pm

I did my second attempt today and had to turn around when I got to the boulder field because of my knee? I don't know what I did to it but it was causing me a lot of pain.

Postby dj14 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:51 am

Twice for me.

The first time we were turned back in the BF due to snow and ice from an early September snow. The second time (8/1/07) was golden...I was on the summit at 9:15am. Even then, though, it sleeted on me on the way down.

You know what they say, the mountain will always be there....
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with dust and sweat and blood. At best, he knows the triumph of high achievement; if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt.

Postby mtgirl » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:49 am

Try camping in the Boulderfield the night before your summit attempt. I did this last week, and I was glad I did. Woke up fresh at 12,600 feet and got an early summit. So many people reached the Boulderfield that morning already exhausted from the 6 mile hike in. I almost felt guilty (well, not really) for starting at 5:30 AM when others were starting at 1-2 AM.....
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Location: Missouri, formerly Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, Gitmo...

Longs Peak weather

Postby Treinfir » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:11 am

Longs will still be there for your next attempt. It was probably smart to stop when you did. Keep watching the weather and leave early and an opportunity will come.

Even then, the weather can change quickly. I started early and still ran into heavy sleet on the Ledges. I was just glad it wasn’t higher up the mountain! As was suggested, camping in the Boulder Field might be helpful with the right gear and preparation.
"And as for the stone that struck the image, it became a large mountain and filled the whole earth." - Daniel

Postby CRAIGO » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:47 am

I'm 2 for 4. Sometimes you just luck out on the weather. By the way, the first time I hiked Longs, there were only 10 people on the trail all day!!! (16 years ago)

Postby RenoBob » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:17 am

2 for 4. I had two failed attempts, weather and altitude sickness, before I submitted.
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Postby krz2fer » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:27 am

mtgirl wrote:Try camping in the Boulderfield the night before your summit attempt. I did this last week, and I was glad I did. Woke up fresh at 12,600 feet and got an early summit. So many people reached the Boulderfield that morning already exhausted from the 6 mile hike in. I almost felt guilty (well, not really) for starting at 5:30 AM when others were starting at 1-2 AM.....

After doing Longs both in starting early and via Boulderfield camping, I will no longer suggest anyone do it all in one day. Even slogging gear up there is better than doing a marathon, all things considered, IMO!
Chris

Postby thebeave7 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:13 am

krz2fer wrote:
mtgirl wrote:Try camping in the Boulderfield the night before your summit attempt. I did this last week, and I was glad I did. Woke up fresh at 12,600 feet and got an early summit. So many people reached the Boulderfield that morning already exhausted from the 6 mile hike in. I almost felt guilty (well, not really) for starting at 5:30 AM when others were starting at 1-2 AM.....

After doing Longs both in starting early and via Boulderfield camping, I will no longer suggest anyone do it all in one day. Even slogging gear up there is better than doing a marathon, all things considered, IMO!

I disagree, it depends on fitness level and how fast you move. I much prefer to do longs in a day, rather than schlep gear up a few hours to camp in a crowded pile of rocks, IMHO. Probably 90% of my peaks are done as 1 day pushes now a days, but I guess I move faster than the average hiker/climber.

In regards to the original post, I'm 3 for 3, guess I've just been lucky the weather held up when I was there. I guess the key is being in good shape, and adjusting your start time to suite your pace, giving you plenty of time to summit before noon.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Next