Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

4 14ers in 4 hours!

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Postby Skip Perkins » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:38 pm

One of the things that I love about climbing in Colorado is that I can leave my damn watch in Wisconsin.. I hope you all don't start timing me on these trips because it won't be pretty.

Re: 4 14ers in 4 hours!

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:04 pm

dukex2x01 wrote:Yeah I know what you're thinking. Not even doable. Oh yes it's not doable it's donable! lol. WE hiked up to Democrat Cameron Lincoln and Bross and started at 6:20 and summitted Bross at 10:22. I felt pretty accomplished! This is my 7th peak in 3 weekends. Thinking of doing Longs next weekend. Intense!!! Any advice?

CLOSED DUFUS!!

Wow! This is a lot of chest thumping for 4 of the easiest peaks in the state.
My nine year old niece could climb those peaks.. Relax Shazamm..
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby Devin » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:44 pm

Nice display of respect..... :roll:

Just cut your time in half and you will be approaching the speed record for this group (1 hr 55 mins - car to car):

http://www.wwwright.com/climbing/speed/colorado14ers.htm

But, I would suggest waiting until they are OPEN before you actually do it.

Postby skier25 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:07 pm

I want someone to do the Wilson Group in 4 hours. They'd be the fitness king!
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.

Postby coloradokevin » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:50 am

I wish I could even begin to provide everyone with my peak times... I'm so absent minded once I hit a summit that I typically don't remember to check my stopwatch until I'm about a half mile (or 1,000 ft-ish) below the summit again.

Then I end up trying to think how long I spent on the summit, and how long my descent to that point was, etc!

I'm a slave to the clock at work each week, so I tend to ignore it more in the mountains!

Postby 2_Salukis » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:43 am

dukex2x01 wrote:I did read that post at the top. And you know what? It's not about my times anymore. I'm proud and happy with them weather you and your boyscouts think so or not I was infoprmed that the mountains were "closed" But that nobody cared if you climbed them as earlier stated if they wanted you off the mountains they would place warning signs at the base of every trailhead! And ,maybe on a very busy day say oneSAturday out of the summer send a Ranger up ther to stop people at the parking lot then word would really get around to stay off! Good day.

Where did you get the idea that "nobody cared"?

So you knew they were closed - but since there aren't signs where you think they should be, and because there isn't someone there to meet people and tell them like you think they should do, then it's just fine as far as you're concerned. And then there's your trip report about having to search for a way around the "trail closed" signs.

Of course everything you wrote is BS, since the fact that you drove up there at all is proof that you didn't care what the status was, you were still planning to trespass and jeopardize their access for everyone.

Sheesh.

BTW 6:20 to 10:22 is over 4 hours. Since you're in COS, try to do Pikes Peak along Barr Trail in under 3 hours. At least it's open.

Postby Whoopsie » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:21 am

Rockymtnhigh69 wrote:
dukex2x01 wrote:Yeah I know what you're thinking. Not even doable. Oh yes it's not doable it's donable! lol. WE hiked up to Democrat Cameron Lincoln and Bross and started at 6:20 and summitted Bross at 10:22. I felt pretty accomplished! This is my 7th peak in 3 weekends. Thinking of doing Longs next weekend. Intense!!! Any advice?

CLOSED DUFUS!!

Wow! This is a lot of chest thumping for 4 of the easiest peaks in the state.
My nine year old niece could climb those peaks.. Relax Shazamm..

I can remember climbing my first 14er in 1971 at the age of 8 (my sister was 6). We climbed Holy Cross. It took us three days and we thought we were Gods. That was a speed record for us. We stopped and looked at the Columbines, played in Cross Creek and generally had a grand old time.

I've done 35 of the big boys, and with the exception of the Pikes Peak marathon (that counts as a summit, right) I've never done it for time. Plus, dukex2x01, two things you don't do on this website is brag about things not worth bragging about and brag about breaking the rules.
Don't Be In Such a Hurry That You Can't Stop At A Lemonade Stand

Postby Andy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:32 am

Where can I get in line to worship you? :roll: I only made it up one 13er this weekend and it took me 28.5 hours car-to-car.
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

Postby Scott P » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:49 am

Last edited by Scott P on Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Postby ThinAir » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:58 am

Yeah, ive got some advice for you. Get Real. Theres nothing like the bubbling enthusiasm of an over-reaching noob. Dont hurt your arm patting yourself on the back. Really though, im glad your stoked, but think about your audience before you blurt out about your mountaineering prowess.

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:00 am

Duke.. Here is your new avatar.. ENJOY! Shazam!!!!

On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby Daniel Trugman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:02 am

I was wondering when Kessler was going to come to thoroughly embarass Duke. You might as well take them up right when it opens though, it will seem even more boring at age 6! :D

You are ridiculous, I hope I didn't sound quite like you two years ago when I was your age.

I hope I don't sound like him when I am his age! Oh, and thanks for climbing those closed peaks. Democrat is one of the few I have left, and if it doesn't open next summer, I will be very um... displeased.

PreviousNext