Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The Rescue Lincoln

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

The Rescue Lincoln

Postby KenE » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:04 am

Not exactly a tale of the wilderness, but still kinda sorta relevant.

My Aunt Sarah’s Atlanta neighborhood should be a wonderful place to walk her dog. The houses are twenty or so years old. Quite nice, but old enough that each shows some of the character and personality of the residents. Traffic is only those coming to and from their homes. Slow and steady they watch for joggers and dogs. The chances of being dog or kidnapped are beyond microscopic; and, the roads are marked.

Her dog is a slightly well behaved, or moderately misbehaved, or somewhere in between Cairn Terier. For protection of the innocent we shall refer to the animal as “Assassin”. He responds to “Sit, roll over, fetch, and KILL” with the same quizzical look. His language skills are selective at best. Assassin does respond to “Food and Walk”.

In the world of hiking and mountaineering we speak of the ten essentials. These have to do with finding your way, nourishment and hydration, lighting, body temperature maintenance. Maps, food, water, clothes, you get the idea.

It was Thursday, but felt like a summer Sunday Atlanta afternoon and I simply said that I was going to take the pooch for a nice walk. Good for him, good for me. So, with leash in my hand and around his neck we headed for the door without a thought of the ten essentials. I’m walking the dog for god’s sake.

I’ve heard that over 30 roads in Atlanta go by “Peachtree”, and it’s probably more. My favorite being “Peachtree Battle”. This has set a trend. In this neighborhood there are three names, let us say “Orange, Plum and Apple” street, road, way, boulevard, et cetera, but no “Orange Battle”. It is disconcertingly easy to find oneself at the corner of “Plum and Plum”.

My cell rang and that one person that I can talk to the easiest was there. Talk and talk walk and walk and I said “hmmm” and she said “what’s up” and I said “nothing” and she said, did I say she knows me, “your lost” and I said “no I’m not”. A might bewildered perhaps, but not lost. The dog cocked his head as to say “you’re lost; and I’m thirsty. Mountain Boy”.

For an hour we walked. I felt the pull of my cell phone to call for help, but resisted. I am, after all, a man of many hikes and climbs. I found a stream for the dog, but he still fell behind and I tired of pulling on the leash. I recognized the house, it’s the one with the Ten Commandments attached to the mail box, from a different approach for the third time; and, reality began to set. I had one more chance.

Five blocks later as I stood making a decision the dog gave me the look of “Are you as dense as you look. Call now.” I could have taken my GPS, printed a map, or walked a dog who knew how to get home. My arrogance had laid me low. I called my Aunt for a rescue.

As we rode the two blocks to her house I sat and reflected in cool comfort of the S&R Lincoln. Take heed mighty mountaineers and mountaineeresses. When stepping out evaluate your need for the ten essentials. The eleventh being a dog who can find his way home.

Ken
Last edited by KenE on Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What do you call a guy like me up here
More than a hiker, but not quite a mountaineer
The thighs labor and the breathing is hard
I hold high places in the highest regard

Postby Doug Shaw » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:31 pm

Highlands Ranch, on the southern end of the Denver metro area, has the same problem: street names (and the houses themselves) are all ludicrously similar.

Once or twice I year I am involved in searches "in town" for just this type of situation. Usually the subjects are people who, like you, are visiting the area or who have just recently moved there.

And for what it is worth, even when we are searching for these missing parties, it is very easy to get turned around and find yourself thinking, "We've already been down South Silver Spruce Lane twice... oh wait, one was Drive and one was Place".

Only one guy on our team has a Lincoln, though, so usually they are given rides in the SAR Dakotas or Rangers.