Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Hosed on Elbert

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Hosed on Elbert

Postby MOOSE DROOL » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:58 am

Started out on Aug 7 @ 0240 with Cornfed97 to summit Elbert via the NE Ridge trail. Perfect weather. I stopped at about 13,000 feet to shoot pics of the most amazing sunrise that I have ever seen. I was feeling great, and totally had my sights on the summit. I was going to get this one. As I went to put my pack on, I dislocated my right shoulder - it's an old college injury that pops up at bad times, this being the worst. I tried every trick I knew to get it reset, and had no luck. That leaves me with one option - hike out. Using my belt as sling to keep my arm stationary, I heave my pack over my good shoulder, and head down. I was so pissed, and it was probably a good thing. The anger kept me from feeling the white hot burning pain in my shoulder. Every single step felt like somebody twisting a knife. It sucked. That was the longest 3 1/2 miles I've ever hiked. Got down to the car about 3 hours later. Cornfed made summit and was only about 40 minutes behind me back at the car. We were on the way into Leadville, heading for the hospital, and I turned to look out the back window. Had to get one last look at the peak I was cheated out of. Then, POP! It slipped right back into socket and all was well. We headed off the Golden Burro for lunch. Never bothered me the rest of the week. I so got robbed out of a great peak. Still pissed. Did get some great sunrise shots.....

"There are only 3 sports, motor racing, bullfighting and mountaineering; the rest are merely games." - Ernest Hemingway

Postby Adel » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:07 am

Actually, later on that day - around 10:30 AM - I made it to the summit and suddenly it started to snow. It was not flaky soft snow, the sky was throwing fierce frozen icicles on us. It was another surreal moment along with the hide and seek the heavy gray clouds were playing with us and the sun.

Postby huffy13 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:42 am

That is a beautiful shot of the sunrise. Sorry you got cheated out a great summit, I got it under my belt on Aug. 1st. It was hazy that day but that pic is just awesome. BTW...noticed the Moose Drool label, good stuff that is!!!!

Postby MOOSE DROOL » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:45 pm

The good news is that Elbert will still be there for my next trip out, hopefully next summer. I will be making an appointment with my orthopedic to get this shoulder fixed once and for all. It really could have been a lot worse, all things considered. Really hate the fact I got cheated.
"There are only 3 sports, motor racing, bullfighting and mountaineering; the rest are merely games." - Ernest Hemingway

Postby huffy13 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:05 pm

I also just noticed Olathe, KS..I got married in Olathe back in '94.

Postby MOOSE DROOL » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:08 am

It's quite the happenin' place. Elevation 1000 ft. :D

Postby KUfiredancer » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:59 am

Olathe crew representing. this heat makes me want to get out to colorado that much more. 101 today, 102 tomorrow.

Postby MOOSE DROOL » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:09 pm

This weather sucks. I am going back to CO. Who's in?

Postby vr64ever » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:32 pm

MOOSE DROOL wrote:This weather sucks. I am going back to CO. Who's in?

It isn't much better here new record today of 98.

Postby MOOSE DROOL » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:31 pm

But do you have the humidity at 99%? Geez, it's almost like being down on the Gulf. Screw this. I am trying to figure out why people live here. TOO DANG HOT! :cry:

Postby Derek » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:50 pm

Moose Drool wrote:But do you have the humidity at 99%? Geez, it's almost like being down on the Gulf. Screw this. I am trying to figure out why people live here. TOO DANG HOT!

It seems like of all places ive been in my life, everyone always wants to leave because its too hot...I will say though, CO is by far the best. For the most part, (Im sure other former midwesterners will agree) 100 degrees in CO is better than 90 in Michigan. So 100 or above in michigan..... thats....thats just not right......
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Postby MOOSE DROOL » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:52 pm

This hot = major suckage

It's like being dead and in hell, but yet I'm still alive.

Next