Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lost on Crestone Peak, no wait Humboldt Peak

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Postby Tadas » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:19 am

VWLover: We started at 6am from our camp next to the S. Colony Lakes and got to the top at 8:10am, spent a good 30 min on top, then I hustled my way back down to camp. We were going out that day and I needed to break camp and get down and back to Denver.

Tadas

Postby Chris P. » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:45 am

Ah, these stories always make me smile. I too have been guilty of climbing the wrong peak. In the La Garita mountains above Creede there is a thirteener named Baldy Cinco. There is a sign on US 160 between Spring Creek pass and Slumgullion pass that points to a peak and refers to it as "Baldy Cinco." After seeing this sign numerous times before I ever climbed the peak, I naturally assumed that this peak was indeed Baldy Cinco. It took me 3 climbs of this alleged peak to figure out that it in fact was NOT Baldy Cinco, and was in fact 70 feet lower than Baldy Cinco, which stood less prominently about a mile to the east. I later learned that this peak (UN. 13,313) had earned the nickname "Baldy no es Cinco" because so many people made the same mistake I did. Even the register on top was labeled as Baldy Cinco.

Another good one that I hear pretty frequently is people climbing Square Top Mountain thinking it is Mt. Bierstadt. Also, the register on North Massive is filled with remarks from people who climbed it thinking that it was Mt. Massive, and I think about half of them never realized their mistake.

Postby rastro » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:52 pm

that chair lift story is too damn funny! One night back in 1991, I lived in an apartment with hallways kind of like a hotel setup. I heard my locked door's handle jiggle. Startled, I got up and looked through the peephole. Some dude was kind of swaying and kept trying to open my door. I told him he had the wrong apartment and he best move on the next door. I reached for me 20 gauge from under my bed, and cocked the slide action. He left...I than opened the door to peak out down the hallway. There stood this lost man...and he was buck naked!

Postby rastro » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:55 pm

another example of why some of these "weekenders" have no business on 14ers.

Postby Doug Shaw » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:57 pm

rastro wrote:Startled, I got up and looked through the peephole. Some dude was kind of swaying and kept trying to open my door. I told him he had the wrong apartment and he best move on the next door.

Another example of why some of these people have no business in apartments.

Postby ColoradoGuy » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:35 am

The chair lift story (Reply #1) is hilarious! :lol:
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org

Previous