Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Any Nemesis Peaks?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Postby jfox » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:15 pm

0 - 4 on Torrey's for four different reasons! :evil:

Postby Skip Perkins » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:24 pm

Kit Carson was my nemesis but this summer I snuck up on it and was successful so hang in there and by the time you're 60 good things will happen.

Postby speedpolka » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:52 pm

Mine is Oxford. I attempted Belford and Oxford in late May of this year. I made it to the top of the switch backs and had an asthma attack. Limped back to the car, got my breathing under control and rested for 1/2 an hour. (1st asthma attack in nearly 10 years) After the rest, I still felt OK, so I refilled my water and headed back up. I made it to 13,750 before a combination of fatigue, softening snow and storm clouds forced me to head down. I went back two days later and made it to Belfod, but because of snow, I headed back. (really fun glissade) Now I am faced with those wicked switch backs one more time. When I try for Missouri, it will be from the west side.
Subduction leads to Orogeny.

Postby duhonc » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:40 pm

I made the summit of Kit Carson on my third attempt. I was forced to turn back twice after nasty, socked in weather-zero visibility. Both times were with a first 14er goer. Of course I felt bad.

Years before that, my father twisted his ankle 5 minutes into the trek up Kit Carson. He was with a group and gutted it out the whole way up and down. He made it though.

Capitol- made summit on 2nd attempt. Again soggy socked in weather first time out. Suffered a near fatal fall coming down after successfully reaching the summit.

Antero- made summit on 2nd attempt. 1st attempt was over Thanksgiving weekend. We hit the summit ridge at the saddle, and the wind picked up slightly to say the least. One member of our group went up to check out the conditions. He came back minutes later and said, "We're f**ked." 80-90 MPH winds. Unseasonably warm day though.

Handies- started late in the morning ( I was maybe 10) and ran into T-storms. Made it on 2nd attempt.

Postby Derek » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:11 pm

Evans is no longer a nemesis...as of today.:D :D :D Anyone get caught in the nasty weather up there today? Saw quite a few people going up VERY late..hope everyone is ok
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby mountainlover » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:19 pm

So far, I've been turned around on one peak which seems to be a nemesis for a bunch of others as well: Kit Carson. We tried to do both Challenger and Kit in one fell swoop, but weather blew in while we were on top of Challenger. Not wanting to do anything stupid, we decided to head down and leave Kit for another day. Next time, I plan on having a high camp at Willow Lake to make the slog up Challenger's slopes less painful. Doing both peaks in a day from the lower trailhead is quite an undertaking.

Postby Bean » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:18 pm

Mine was Quandary. Took until the 4th time to do it. Always winter conditions (very late fall or actual calendar winter). First time stormed off at night. Second time my snowshoes self destructed. Third time I ran into a full-on blizzard on new year's eve. Final and successful time was on St. Patty's Day this year with a friend. Skis are a wonderful thing.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby scottrappold » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:48 pm

My nemesis is Sneffels. First try in summer '05 (stupidly, I went without pictures or a map), I climbed Gilpin by mistake. Tried again twice in summer '06 - first time had car trouble getting up into Yankee Boy and turned back, and the second time got a phone call that an eviction notice had been posted on my door and had to turn around and deal with that.
Fortunately, the eviction was a mistake, but I still haven't summited that damn amazing mountain.

Postby ADKben » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:58 pm

longs, 3 times..still no success

Previous