Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Any Nemesis Peaks?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Any Nemesis Peaks?

Postby Derek » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:11 am

I would like to state before I say anything: I follow the 3000 foot rule, I dont care who else does, I do it as a "personal goal" sort of thing.

Now then. Yesterday, I hiked Mt. Evans via Chicago Creek. Again. And I would like to say that on that mountain alone, I have logged more than 20,000 feet in elevation, and have never summited according to my rules. (I've gone from summit lake) And it is starting to drive me mad. For some reason or another, I am always kept from doing the full thing, whether it be from 1-weather(ungodly rain and snow are both on the list), 2- Picking a HORRIBLE 1st 14er route for my friends first 14er attempt (I felt bad for her so I turned us around), or as in yesterday where I dawdled too long fishing and didn't make it.
I have now decided to make Evans my final 14er. And that time I'm going to do it via Guanella Pass. Short and sweet.

Does anyone else have mountains that they are starting to feel like a curse is keeping them from summiting like I do? Please make me feel better.

-Derek

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:20 am

I got stormed off Massive 2 times before I summited.. I hated that mtn.
Now after summiting, it is one of my faves.. The views from up there are outstnding.. I also got stormed off N. Maroon and that ate at me for a whole year before I got another chance to summit..

Now it is Longs.. I havent attempted her yet, but she stares at me every day out my office window from downtown Denver. It is killing me! I am making a go on her this Wednesday! YAHOO! \:D/

Bottom line, theyre not cursed, it is just that sometimes luck is not in your cards on any given day in the mountains.. Good luck on your final fourteener.
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby Two Headed Boy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:53 am

I use to but I try to take care of them as quickly as possible because if I didn't I would not be able to sleep good at night.

Postby wasclywabbit » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:08 pm

For me it has been Shav/Tab. Weathered off twice, got sick once, had my climbing partner get sick another. Now that doesn't even count the number of times that I've had to call off trips do to schedule conflicts.

I still haven't summited those two slag heaps.

Postby ThinAir » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:09 pm

Mt. Powell. Been shut down from the Heeney side,( though i did get to Eagles Nest) and from Piney river side. Both times by weather. Hopefully, 3rd time's a charm.

Postby Andy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:25 pm

The only peak I've had repeated failed attempts at is Nokhu Crags. Everything else I've either never been back to or successfully summited on a subsequent trip.
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

Postby beazleys » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:27 pm

Longs Peak:

-July 2001, turned around at the Keyhole in amidst beautiful weather. I was slowing my two friends way down, so I turned back and laid in the sun at Chasm Lake while they went on to summit

-August 2004, camped at the Boulderfied and was snowed off midway across the Narrows

-August 2005, had a permit for the Boulderfield. Weather forecast was terrible, cold and snowy. Rangers confirmed icy and cold conditions, we never even set foot on the trail, instead we drove over the Divide with friends and hiked Holy Cross that weekend.

-August 2006, had a Boulderfield permit, weather forecast was grim. From Trail Ridge Road the summit was in the sunshine and everything else coated in clouds. We headed up, halfway through Mills Moraine driving rain turned us around.

-July 2007, success! Spontaneous trip decided on 6 hours before we actually began hiking. I think we "snuck up" on the mountain, lending us a certain measure of success.

Postby jeffro » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:34 pm

For us it was North Maroon.

We backed down the first time because of storms coming in very early in the day. The second time we climbed the Bell Cord and then took way too long to go a few hundred yards on the icy ridge toward North Maroon so we opted to turn around and suffer what turned out to be an epic descent back down the Bell Cord. :shock:

I try not to get too concerned about those sorts of things though. The mountain will be around longer than I will and I'll summit when the mountain allows me safe passage. This turned out to be so true when we finally did summit North Maroon last August on a Thursday. It was one of our best days in the mountains...ever! I believe we were the only ones to climb it that day and Debby was able to fulfill her late aunt's wish. Things happen for a reason.

We'll be going after her sister Maroon Peak tomorrow! :D

Jeff
Climb what you love and love what you climb!!

Postby MrFrumpylane » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:46 pm

Twice I failed to summit Lindsey.
Twice I failed to summit Tab via over Shavano.

Still have yet to summit either peak to date.

It happens man.

Postby ShadyHater69 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:23 pm

I FINALLY summited South Maroon after 3 tries.

First time I got the jitters, second time I was chased off by a storm.

This time I was mentally ready and was blessed with good weather.

If you fail the first time, just keep at it. It makes summitting that much sweeter!
White man: "Fluctuations"
Asian man: "Fluck you white guys too!"

Postby TK » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:11 pm

Evans.

Having failed repeatedly on Evans is even more driving because I see it everywhere I walk/drive around town.

Otherwise, I've turned back once or twice on a few peaks, but nothing like Evans.

Kiefer

Postby Kiefer » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:27 pm

For me:
Kit Carson- 5 failed attempts before I tagged the summit. 2 of those 5 were on trips where search & rescue were looking for a missing climber; both instances ended badly (for the missing climber).

Capitol- 4 failed attempts before I was able to tag the summit and THAT happened during a freak snowstorm/whiteout on the summit.

Next