Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

I wish I wouldn't have done that one....

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Postby grizz » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:32 pm

On 07/14/07 my son and I climbed Quandary. I forgot my shoes at home. Realized it when we got to the TH. I climbed Quandary in my socks and thongs. It wasn't nearly has bad as I thought. Luckily it was Quandary and not Longs.
Colorado Native

Postby Brandons Dad » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:43 pm

Leaving Colorado and moving back to the Midwest. I'm a Minnesota native, living in Wisconsin, whose work forces me to travel throughout the Midwest. Let me know if anyone needs any beta on the "armpit" of America! ](*,)
I once climbed the highest peak in China... an hour later, I wanted to summit again.

Postby womanhiker » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:47 pm

Lamewad wrote:Missing the turnoff for the Massive trail and hiking up the basin instead on the Southwest Slopes route. Didn't get Massive that day, but got it two weeks later.

Well, don't feel bad. We also missed this turn-off on Tuesday. We got into the basin and didn't know what to do. We went back on Thursday and made it to the top! On the way down we tried to make the cairns more visible...hopefully it will make the turn-off more clear for future hikers.......

Yup..done the dumb

Postby Cassa-Frassa » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:03 pm

Last weekend we were climbing mt. massive and chose to start at the S. halfmoon creek trail head and take the extra credit (roach book anyone? lol) route to bag massive's north summit, massive green, and the main summit... however ignoring the contour lines we headed too far east of the major landmark ridge and climbed our way up some steep snow path the the top of another ridge, which we followed until we hit a non-climbable spire and had to turn back... we also should have paid attention to the half moon lakes since we should have been east of them and were west instead....stupid stupid...now we "have to" head there again this weekend to gain our summits. Ah, the lessons we learn. :shock:

Postby krz2fer » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:40 am

grizz wrote:On 07/14/07 my son and I climbed Quandary. I forgot my shoes at home. Realized it when we got to the TH. I climbed Quandary in my socks and thongs. It wasn't nearly has bad as I thought. Luckily it was Quandary and not Longs.

Wow, what a beast!
Chris

Me too!

Postby jford » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:03 pm

grizz wrote:On 07/14/07 my son and I climbed Quandary. I forgot my shoes at home. Realized it when we got to the TH. I climbed Quandary in my socks and thongs. It wasn't nearly has bad as I thought. Luckily it was Quandary and not Longs.

Grizz, last year we were going to climb Quandary and about 1/2 way to the mountain I realized I left my boots at home. I didn't have the desire to climb in thongs so we went home. I still haven't climbed it! Julie
Mark and Julie
Colorado Springs

Kiefer

Postby Kiefer » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:35 pm

Non 14er related...
I was out at Canyonlands National Park , Island in the Sky unit and I had intended to take a 2 day camping trip down the Syncline loop/Upheaval Dome. I had a 25-30lb pack on and the mistake, was I left at 1:00pm (late July) with only 2 nalgene bottles of water and 2 red Bulls.
For some reason, I thought I'd just purify what I needed as I went along foolishly expecting there to be water in the wash if not at least in the shaded overhangs, WRONG!
For those who have been on this particular loop, know there isn't much shade to be had. After ~2 miles I reached a point called "The Breach". This is a huge break in the canyon wall that the trail skirts through and continues on around to the other side where it eventually follows a wash and down a rockfall to gain the canyon floor.
At The Breach, I realized I had only one Red Bull and one Nalgene bottle left of water. I started to have doubts at this point of camping and thought it might be in my best interest to continue on around and just hike out the 6 remaining miles since I had grossly underplanned. It was hot and sunny the whole day. It took me awhile to navigate down the rockfall with the pack on and when I reached the half-way point- left to Upheavel Dome, right to Green River and the White Rim Road, I really started to feel 'not good'. I was having trouble concentrating and focusing on what I needed to do and I had absolutely no energy. I actually felt extremely drunk and loopy.
I knew that I might be suffering the first stages of heat stroke so I managed to get to the side of the wash I was hiking in, and I set up my tent in the shadow of an overhang. It was SO HARD to set the tent up. I pretty much collapsed inside the tent for dam near 3 hours while waking up periodically to sip water from my last Nalgene. I had stripped down to my underware and opened both doors to let what breeze there was to pass through.

After that 3 hours or so, I did feel better. I wanted to stay there SO BAD but with basically half a bottle of water left, there was no way I'd make it through the night. I jammed the tent into my pack and slogged the remaining ~3 miles back to the truck. If I remember right, it took me close to 3 hours to cover that last bit of trail. I bought a water at the vending machine at the visitor center (they were closed-it was 7:00pm) and drove into Moab where I pigged out at Eddie McStiffs.
Since then I've learned to take salty snacks with me and drinks with electrolytes when in the desert and ALWAYS take more fluids then I think I'll need. This is also when I promised myself to become a 'light-packer'. Funny thing is, I've been going to the Canyonlands and Moab area for 10+ years. I should have known better and I'm at a loss as to why I didn't make better deceisions.
Now that I think of it, alot of what I know or have learned about mountain or (novice) canyoneering has been "trial by fire". I thank God that I've been fortunate enough to learn what not to do by doing it without serious injury.
But I guess that's what makes every hiker/climber uniquely different in similar ways. :-k

Postby upndown » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:49 pm

Passing up a chance to move to CO Springs. #-o I went for the $$$. Now I'm flatlander bound and only get to hike 2-3 times a year in what I know in my heart was where I was meant to live. Oh well, you play the cards you are dealt. I'm ready for this hand to be over...I think - guess I better be careful what I wish for.

Postby skier25 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:23 pm

Forgot the 'white gold' on Yale... :oops:
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.

Postby goatgirl » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:33 am

mtgirl wrote:
Kojones wrote:Taking my fiance along... yeah, not fun...

Kojones

Hopefully your fiance doesn't see that post - or you mind not have a fiance anymore ! :shock:

Or it will allow him to get a new fiance that's a climber! :lol:
Jag trivs bäst i öppna landskap... Ulf Lundell

Postby redwingsarebad » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:16 pm

Two stories, nothing life threatening though:

1. Two friends and I wanted to do some late season climbing, and we had a beautiful day in early October and decided to do Pikes Peak from the Crags. We left early, got to the trailhead while still dark, and somehow I missed the HUGE sign for the correct parking lot and trailhead. We continued on the road only a few minutes more, parked, passed some campers, and hiked for a few hours.

After consulting the maps, and seeing the Peak get farther away from us as we go downhill, we decided we were in the wrong area. We took the opportunity to brush up on some climbing skills on a rock formation that we found, and headed home, very sad.

We returned the following weekend, in the snow, fog, and ice. Found the right trail, and summited, very miserable though.

2. I also missed the small trail off of the road the first time i tried to do La Plata. Ended up deep in the valley next to the peak, and climbed some other lower peak. Great views, tiring day, but disappointing.

Postby pkripper » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:44 pm

We were climbing the couloir up Maroon and my brother inlaw forgot his sunglasses the glare was brutal we ended up making a couple of slits in a power bar wrapper duct taped that to his helmet and finished the climb. Sounds kind of minor but at the time he was really hurting.[imgImage

PreviousNext