Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

I wish I wouldn't have done that one....

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:52 pm

I only have enough time and space for a couple of my snafus

Decided to follow my footprints in the snow returning from LaPlata. Oops, I forgot some people just arrived from the Winfield TH and we got quite a ways before we made the traverse across the snowfield to the slope we should have been descending. There's a time waster.

I did manage to climb point 13,640 instead of Wilson Peak, and, yeah Moonugs, it was a beautiful day in the mountains by the time we descended to Rock of Ages saddle and summited Wilson and returned, but I hadn't counted on it taking quite so long. (fortunately all the rain was below us that day.)

I testify to the fact that you can go the wrong way on the Colorado trail trying to get to Elbert in the dark. What's an extra hour of hiking among friends?

I showed up at the TH to Quandry without any water. After the trip to Breck to buy bottled water I returned to find I hadn't arrived at the right trailhead the first time anyhow.....proving that it's smart to be stupid!

I could go on and on............ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz.

This makes the username Duffus Kentucky Climber seem not so redundant, doesn't it.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Climbing Huron from the jeep trail

Postby 14erfan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:31 pm

Climbed Huron from the jeep trail that is right/west of Lulu Gulch. Walked 1/2 mile, saw that there was no trail, walked straight up to browns peak and then across the saddle to Huron. I was on the summit for no more then 10 minutes, when I walked down Huron to the northwest until the end of the switchbacks, then hiked up and across the rock field back up Browns west ridge. Hiked down the ridge, saw some deer, and found the little trail I started on.

So 6 and 1/2 hours after I started, I walked on a trail for about 30 minutes.

After driving down the jeep trail, I saw I somehow missed the path to the right to the correct trail head to Huron.

Big mistake caused some serious blisters from hiking over the rocks and being on the mountain 2 and 1/2 hours more than most.

Postby rastro » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:00 pm

one of the rules of climbing/hiking 14ers. Look up often and study the terrain and look for cairns. Talking too much can often lead to missing a turn or switchback, and on the harder 14ers this can really lead to serious problems. Be careful and pay attention. There's plenty of time to BS with your neighbor at the pub after the climb.

Rastro

Postby COTXLAAR » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:29 pm

Thanks for your words of wisdom. What would we have done without them.

Postby Whoopsie » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:39 pm

Climbing Princeton in January two days after the stomach flu. Got on top and noticed nobody had been there in 3 weeks. Developed hypothermia 1//4 mile down from the summit. Never been so scared in my life. Luckily we settled down behind a rock, and drank water. The big mistake was leaving our packs 800' below the summit in order to get to the top. When we finally got back to the packs the frozen brown banana was so good.
Finally got back to the car at 7:00pm. Used up at least 4 of my 9 lives that day.

P.S. My excuse....uhh....25 years old and thinking I was invincible.
Don't Be In Such a Hurry That You Can't Stop At A Lemonade Stand

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:12 am

rastro wrote:one of the rules of climbing/hiking 14ers. Look up often and study the terrain and look for cairns. Talking too much can often lead to missing a turn or switchback, and on the harder 14ers this can really lead to serious problems. Be careful and pay attention. There's plenty of time to BS with your neighbor at the pub after the climb.

Not speaking for everyone else; I generally can't talk a whole lot on the way up a mountain, as respiration is somewhat more important to me than conversation at that time. We save small talk for the descent. The ascent is for breathing and peeing! :shock:
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby dixonallred » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:21 am

tators_tots wrote:Climbing some stupid 13er you didn't even know was out there instead of the 14er you wanted is like kissing your sister.

Maybe I missed it, but 3 pages of responses and not one person has questioned how tators_tots knows what its like to kiss his sister... :shock:
Joe

Postby paully » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:28 pm

Similar to your story Tatertots. Attempted Elbert a few years ago from Black Cloud trailhead. I somehow ended up at the wrong trailhead, but didn't realize it at the time. By the time I knew something was really wrong, it was too late to turn back. When I reached my summit, I could see that I wasn't at the highest point in Colorado. After plotting my GPS data back at home, I saw that I had climbed Casco Peak, a centennial. And yes, in case you didn't catch that, I HAD A GPS ON ME AND STILL CLIMBED THE WRONG MOUNTAIN. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Postby JB Allen » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:09 pm

Decending Tabeguache Peak after a 14er radio event and taking a wrong turn which ended up with me bushwacking down to the road about 1/2 mile down the road from the bronc. I was really upset with myself that day...
JB Allen...

Previous