Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Another d@mn bad dog-owner

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Postby norseman » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:52 pm

The title of this thread should be "A bunch of lawsuit happy idiots with nothing better to do with their lives" Pathetic doesn't say enough about this thread. What a bunch of whining babies.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.
- Edward Abbey

Postby longmonster » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:08 pm

norseman wrote:Pathetic doesn't say enough about this thread. What a bunch of whining babies.

I detect a big boy here feewing a widdow bit mad! :evil:

If you would only open your heart and feel the love of Dexter and the community in general, you would be the happiest boy on earth! :D

I checked out your gear list and interests. Next time, when you feel like venting in this manner, take a deep breath and open up your heart instead of another beer.

Postby CorduroyCalves » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:27 pm

norseman wrote:The title of this thread should be "A bunch of lawsuit happy idiots with nothing better to do with their lives" Pathetic doesn't say enough about this thread. What a bunch of whining babies.

Chill, man. You're giving us New Hampshirites a bad rep! :wink:

EDIT: Actually, I just read your profile. On top of being cranky, you're modest, too :roll:
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby mingusfan » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:06 pm

^^ thats pretty funny right there.

I think you did the right thing poster...if someone cant keep their dog on a leash when in a public place, then they are just being irresponsible and if (?) that dog started to attack (since you say it was growling) then you have every right to protect yourself.
Mingus is god

Postby ColoMtnHiker » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:30 pm

My wife and I are both dog lovers but currently do not have a dog of our own. When meeting dogs on the trail 99% of the time it has been positive, both with the dogs and their owners. However, there are exceptions. This past Saturday, my wife who weighs about 119 encountered two big loose dogs (friendly as could be, overgrown puppies at about 100-110 lbs each)
while we were descending the scree on Bross. Anybody that has navigated the scree on Bross knows the footing can be dicey at times. The dogs knocked her over resulting in a nasty cut on her leg. Nothing serious but not the place to encounter loose dogs that were not under voice control. Dog owners need to understand that sometimes the dogs do need to be on leash and on Class 2+ and above unleased can be very dangerous to other hikers.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:45 pm

VWLover wrote:
norseman wrote:The title of this thread should be "A bunch of lawsuit happy idiots with nothing better to do with their lives" Pathetic doesn't say enough about this thread. What a bunch of whining babies.

Chill, man. You're giving us New Hampshirites a bad rep! :wink:

EDIT: Actually, I just read your profile. On top of being cranky, you're modest, too :roll:

what do you expect? He is a Red Sox fan.... :lol:
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby longmonster » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:51 am

ColoMtnHiker wrote: Anybody that has navigated the scree on Bross knows the footing can be dicey at times.

Was the dog hurt on your illegal climb?

Postby grizz » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:31 am

cheechaco wrote:Been there. The dog must attack a human one time before they are considered vicious. As a dog owner, TAKE CARE OF YOUR SH#T

and your dog's sh@t!

Been bit
Own a dog
Keep him on a lesh
He is very nice

Couldn't live with myself if he made a mistake and bit someone.

I keep him on a leash so he doesn't make a mistake

Being a dog owner I'm 100% positive that I can not predict 100% of the time my dogs actions.

I think of a small kid getting bit in the face.
A human life is more important to me than my dog being happy off the leash.

It's a no brainer IMO.
Colorado Native

Postby 2_Salukis » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:19 am

ColoMtnHiker wrote:The dogs knocked her over resulting in a nasty cut on her leg. Nothing serious but not the place to encounter loose dogs that were not under voice control.

Let me guess - the owner didn't apologize.

I had an early post on this thread, and what happened to us this past weekend reinforced my issue with irresponsible owners. Hiking up, both our dogs on leashes, and down comes an unleashed Jack Russell and Airedale-mix, along with four "owners" at various stages of scrambling down 15 feet of Class 2- rock.

The dogs run up to us and we say, "they're going to get snapped at." No real response, just a half-hearted "come here fido." Her dogs continue sniffing and squirming around ours, while my wife tries to separate them and keep some buffer. Then, the one bugging our very friendly one, growls and snaps at him! Of course that sets off a chain reaction of sorts. No blood or anything, but a situation that never should have happened.

Still hardly any response from the owner, she just scoots her two dogs past us (still no leash comes out) further down.

To top it off, the owner who's trailing the rest and had to crawl down the rock comes up and starts talking (she's oblivious to what just happened since it took all of her concentration to get down it). In the meantime, their two dogs come back up the trail and immediately get a warning from our two to keep their distance. A clueless "I didn't know Salukis were aggressive" from her was next. It's all I could do to give a civil reply along the lines of, "they're not, except when they've just been attacked by your Jack Russell." (The dogs backed off and ours wagged their tails and got a pet from her.)

Not a peep of an apology.

(BTW that was only one of three irresponsible owner encounters in a whopping 90 minute hike. One had the unique excuse that they lost the leash.)

Postby peaks2paddles » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:05 am

Why do the "doglovers" get so nasty with the people who have had a bad experience? It seems that there ARE ALOT of negative experiences going on in the mountains, people aren't just making these events up. If people could be responsible for their pets then don't you think there wouldnt be post about bad dogs and their bad owners....
"Not all who wander are lost..."

Postby Matt » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:11 am

longmonster wrote:People are the highest link in the food chain.

I heard it said once that the gap between say, Nietschze or Aristotle and the average person is probably far greater than that between the average person and a chimp. This thread gives that statement some credence.

I love dogs, and will try and pet all but the most angry looking pooch. But, just like with people, physical violence is never acceptable. If a dog tries to bite, it's open season until he backs off.

Growing up on the farm, riding my bike from farm to farm, I have fended off german shepherds, rotties, dobermans, mutts of all kinds, but the worst bite I've suffered was from a Yorkie... Most dogs follow cues, and can be led into a smack in the face with whatever (skateboards worked pretty well as a weapon).
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby william thompson » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:32 am

I am with you on the dog thing. I have been bitten twice myself and I am sick of irrisponsible poochy owners! Personally I have no problem with bashing an overly ambitious dog and IF THE OWNER HAS A PROBLEM I WILL DO THE SAME TO THEM!
william thompson

PreviousNext