Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Another d@mn bad dog-owner

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Postby Two Headed Boy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:34 pm

longmonster - who cares?

Postby pkripper » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:39 pm

I wonder if she knows how willingly I would have bashed her dog's skull in with a piece of granite if it attacked me.

I love [most] dogs and have had many over the years.

I find it hard to believe the original poster is a dog lover when his first post talks about how he would bash a dogs head in.
I also find it somewhat amusing that people have been bitten multiple times, which kind of makes me wonder if its the dogs or the people.

I would also love to see the statistics for people attacked by dogs while climbing 14rs. I have no problem with dogs on the trail that are under control, I did once see a dog run a mtn. goat right off a ledge which was very lame and we let the owner know all about it.

Someone also made a comment about keeping the mountains safe, you should find another passion. I am just happy to be going to Glacier next week and it will be bears and not dogs I'll be looking out for.

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:50 pm

Bill..

We need moderators to lock these types of posts down.. This was useless post that never seems to end.. ](*,)
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

common sense ?

Postby YoAdrian » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:57 pm

... so you're not a dog person. Why not just avoid the situation and steer clear, for chrissake? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and consider you didn't want to get off-trail for fear of contributing to further erosion.....

Postby upndown » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:44 pm

Postby rastro » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:44 pm

I agree with you Papa...it reminds me of people and their children. If they're in public they need to take responsibility for their "animals". You shouldn't have to tell the dog owner to get that growling mutt off the trail. I would have had my pepper spray in one hand and told the owner that if she didn't restrain her animal then I would pepper zap him in the face.
People amaze me. Frigging ridiculous.

Postby mtn_hikin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:45 pm

Nothing bugs me more when my dog and I are on a summit smoking a joint and shooting at the rocks than some little yappy dog running around disturbing the people having sex...

Postby COTXLAAR » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:49 pm

Ata boy Rastro, Way to tell them! This is going in chapter 2.

Postby rastro » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:40 am

careful COTEX, i just bought a new can of stalker-repellent.

for what it's worth

Postby sandyb » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:10 pm

My best friend was bitten by a "friendly" dog several years ago - completely unprovoked. She endured 3 surgeries in three days (wrist joint infection), several days in the hospital and agonizing pain - followed by 8 weeks of intravenous antibiotics via a Hickman catheter (implanted surgically in the chest for IV therapy) which was administered by myself as she lost function of her dominant hand while it was splinted for 6 weeks to heal. We had 24 hours to find the dog and the owners had to produce proof of rabies vaccination or the Infectious Disease docs were going to start the horrendous series of abdominal rabies vaccinations. Lost time from work, a huge hospital bill, a nasty scar both on her wrist and chest where the catheter was implanted, etc. Needless to say, she and I are both a bit skittish on the trail when we see unleashed dogs whose "friendliness" is questionable. As a long time runner, I too have had nasty encounters with "friendly dogs". Hiking poles and mace/pepper spray are excellent deterents. The pepper spray can be purchased as a very small cannister than can clip to your belt or waistband. I used it once on my regular running route after being attacked more than once by the same dog, and needless to say the owners kept their dog in their fenced yard after that.

Postby Kate » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:17 pm

Funny dog story:
There was a dog on the trail this morning who was obviously not under its owner's control. After the dog splashed mud on multiple members of my group and pushed through a crossing, splashing water on members of my group (and drenching one), I caught the dog and shouted to the owner (who by the way, was on the OTHER side of the crossing), "Do you have a leash for this dog, sir?"

To which the owner responded "Yes." Of course, I replied: "Would you like for me to restrain your animal until you are able to do so yourself?" "Yes."

A few minutes later the owner met me (as I was patiently holding on to his dog's collar) and we discussed the fines associated with his dog being unleashed and not on voice command (as he was leashing his dog).

Fast forward to the summit: There was a pit bull/chow mix on the summit (leashed) when previously mentioned dog and dog owner walked by. The dogs lunged at each other and start barking and fighting. After the dogs calmed down, I looked at the owner and said "Now aren't you glad your dog is on a leash, sir?"

Moral of the story: control your animal. It's better for owners, hikers, and dogs.

Previous